Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic of the Carista beta info from Carista OBD2 App | Diagnose, customize and service your car
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

I bought an expensive dongle (OBDLink MX+) and got it all connected to the carista beta app, and it worked. I have some ongoing Bluetooth issues because my phone wants to pair with the R4Prime. But rebooting app, checking Bluetooth on the phone gets it connected eventually. When you select one of the 4 categories the app goes off to checks for active data for tens of minutes (check phone charge) and then gives you results. Only the Live Data comes back with "not supported at this time." and the other 3 selections below have (%50?) missing settings and options. Diagnose took very long and had lots of calibration IDs for various ECUs. I did not look at Service yet.
Font Screenshot Multimedia Electronic device Software

Here are the settings I was looking for. I like being able to shut all windows at once (with phisical key) as an afterthought after shutting vehicle off. On warm days I like approaching my R4Prime and using the key FOB to open all the windows to let the sun heated air out. I also made the seatbelt warnings to my liking (lots of options, no pic). These are the options that ‘only’ the dealer can change for the owner, but I always take care of them myself. I can understand dealerships not wanting to mess with seatbelt warning settings for liability reasons, so I don’t like to beg/demand/argue for the dealer to do it. A majority of the settings in carista are available to change via the in vehicle menus.
Font Screenshot Multimedia Darkness Communication Device

These are interesting options to fine tune your HUD. Lots of options on the submenus to tune the headaches out of the HUD (for some).
Font Screenshot Technology Software Darkness

There is a ton of more settings, mostly changeable in vehicle menus.
Grey Font Communication Device Gadget Screenshot

Maybe if we get more R4Prime owners using the Carista Beta app they will spend some resources to get more (live data) features working for our vehicles. Just remember to allocate 5 - 30 minutes for the app to check for active setting/functions for each of the (working) 4 top selections.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thank you Chazz for taking the time to write this up. I was already looking at Carista, but now I'm pretty convinced. I already have an OBDII Dongle but it is an older one and I know it is not compatible with Carista, I'll have to look into getting a newer/compatible dongle.

Thanks again. I find your posts very insightful.

dp

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
343 Posts
I have an OBDLink MX+ dongle as well, so I'll have to give this a try. All of this works in the beta app without having to pay for a subscription? Does that mean that all of these options for the R4P haven't been released yet?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I already have an OBDII Dongle but it is an older one and I know it is not compatible with Carista, I'll have to look into getting a newer/compatible dongle.
As long as the OBDI dongle is ELM327 compatible it will work with Carista. Unfortunately, a lot of the cheap Chinese clones claim to be ELM327 compatible, but they are actually poorly made hacked copies and don't work correctly. I have a BAFX adapter that's only $19.99 and it works fine - it's only limitation is that it only works with Android devices.

BAFX OBDII Bluetooth Adapter

Edit - have you tried your current dongle with Carista? You might be surprised... I bought my BAFX dongle around 5 years ago, so it's not any modern fancy thing... And the ELM327 protocol was created back in 2005...

I too am very impressed with the Carista app - in addition to disabling the Auto Hi-Beams (gets confused in rural environments) and the irritating seat belt buzzers, it can also program TPMS sensors, so now I don't have to bother going to the dealer when I swap winter tires. I got everything set up the way I like with the free trial, and I'll just get a month or so subscription when I need to change tires in the spring. The app is capable of changing many settings - it's unfortunate that it doesn't work with Honda systems, so I had to buy a decent scanner for my other car.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The beta app game me a 1 month free trial (based on MX+ purchase) after it took my credit card to charge after a month. I think there is a 7 day free trail for just trying Carista.

Reactions: generaltso

·
Registered
212 Posts
As long as the OBDI dongle is ELM327 compatible it will work with Carista. Unfortunately, a lot of the cheap Chinese clones claim to be ELM327 compatible, but they are actually poorly made hacked copies and don't work correctly. I have a BAFX adapter that's only $19.99 and it works fine - it's only limitation is that it only works with Android devices.

BAFX OBDII Bluetooth Adapter

Edit - have you tried your current dongle with Carista? You might be surprised... I bought my BAFX dongle around 5 years ago, so it's not any modern fancy thing... And the ELM327 protocol was created back in 2005...

I too am very impressed with the Carista app - in addition to disabling the Auto Hi-Beams (gets confused in rural environments) and the irritating seat belt buzzers, it can also program TPMS sensors, so now I don't have to bother going to the dealer when I swap winter tires. I got everything set up the way I like with the free trial, and I'll just get a month or so subscription when I need to change tires in the spring. The app is capable of changing many settings - it's unfortunate that it doesn't work with Honda systems, so I had to buy a decent scanner for my other car.
Thanks. I should say "I assume my old Adapter is not compatible, as I did not try it. I think I will this weekend.

I see Carista have their own OBDII Adapter for sale on their site. Like you say, too bad the app is not Honda compatible as my wife's car is an Acura. Then again, in 3 years I've not yet needed to use my adapter on it anyway 😉

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try that out.

dp

·
Registered
555 Posts
Here is a pic of the Carista beta info from Carista OBD2 App | Diagnose, customize and service your car
View attachment 171011

I bought an expensive dongle (OBDLink MX+) and got it all connected to the carista beta app, and it worked. I have some ongoing Bluetooth issues because my phone wants to pair with the R4Prime. But rebooting app, checking Bluetooth on the phone gets it connected eventually. When you select one of the 4 categories the app goes off to checks for active data for tens of minutes (check phone charge) and then gives you results. Only the Live Data comes back with "not supported at this time." and the other 3 selections below have (%50?) missing settings and options. Diagnose took very long and had lots of calibration IDs for various ECUs. I did not look at Service yet.
View attachment 171012

Here are the settings I was looking for. I like being able to shut all windows at once (with phisical key) as an afterthought after shutting vehicle off. On warm days I like approaching my R4Prime and using the key FOB to open all the windows to let the sun heated air out. I also made the seatbelt warnings to my liking (lots of options, no pic). These are the options that ‘only’ the dealer can change for the owner, but I always take care of them myself. I can understand dealerships not wanting to mess with seatbelt warning settings for liability reasons, so I don’t like to beg/demand/argue for the dealer to do it. A majority of the settings in carista are available to change via the in vehicle menus.
View attachment 171013

These are interesting options to fine tune your HUD. Lots of options on the submenus to tune the headaches out of the HUD (for some).
View attachment 171014

View attachment 171017

Maybe if we get more R4Prime owners using the Carista Beta app they will spend some resources to get more (live data) features working for our vehicles. Just remember to allocate 5 - 30 minutes for the app to check for active setting/functions for each of the (working) 4 top selections.

Enjoy.
I have the Carista App and the Carista Dongle. I was able to program my key FOB if I hold down the Unlock button, I am able to simultaneously open all the windows and moon roof.

I did NOT find an option to hold down the LOCK button and CLOSE all the windows and moonroof. I know this can be done with the mechanical key. I want to do this with the FOB. Is this option now available in the beta? I didn't see it in your pictures.

Thanx Chazz8. And kudos to you for always being so helpful and thorough in your posts. It's very much appreciated

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
246 Posts
This is good news. I've used Carista to turn off the reverse beep in a few Prius' previously. A couple of months ago I tried it with my Rav and there were almost no options - I'll have to pay $10 once they have enough R4P options and are not in beta. I mainly wanted to disable some of the seatbelt chimes and door/window open chimes.
Oh and I always up the "flash to pass" from 3 to 5 blinks. I'm not aggro enough to change lanes within 3 blinks, I've found.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gave Carista beta app feedback that changing number of blinks does indeed work. I’m now noticing a forth blink when I’m expecting silence. Oh, I also turned the blink volume down to lowest setting. I tested (3) Blink Volume settings and found them to be 1db apart on the phone app sound meter. I could not hear the difference but I turned it down anyway.

I’m not seeing an option to turn off the pedestrian warning noice (singing angles) and that is the one everyone is complaining about.

·
Registered
839 Posts
View attachment 171011

View attachment 171012

View attachment 171013

View attachment 171014

View attachment 171017

Enjoy.
Whoa. This is amazing Chazz.
I need to look at this now.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanx Chazz8! Do you or anyone else know whether the OBDLink SX can be used with the carista beta too? It is linked to my laptop by USB cable, not by bluetooth.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought the most expensive Bluetooth dongle so I would not have to wonder if the Dongle works with Carista or not. Don’t know about the OBDLink SX compatibility. I don’t see USB connection for Carista (beta) but worth a try.

Close All Windows with FOB lock long press in the past has only been available in Europe not North America. I only see CLOSE windows with physical key locking action in Carista (beta), just like for our other 4 Toyota hybrids/plug-ins.

Open All Windows gets both options Physical key action and FOB unlock hold. I guess they are not afraid of lawsuits from hurt body parts when the windows are opening.

·
Registered
212 Posts
As long as the OBDI dongle is ELM327 compatible it will work with Carista.
You Sir were right!!!

I owe you a beer. I tried out my ELM327 mini adapter I bought for $15 CAD on Amazon in 2014. I was using it with Torque in my Jeep Wrangler. Tried it with Torque in the Prime... worked fine. I downloaded Carista on my Android phone and it connected to it immediately. Scanned for customization options and found many, but had to unlock it to save changes. Got a 1 month sub and voilà. Changes I wanted to do are now done. Took all of about 15 minutes start to finish.

Thanks again to you @TomKatt and as well to @Chazz8

dp

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone have the HUD and try out the HUD adjustment settings? Would be very interested in what the distortion adjustment does. Hoping it adjusts the focal plane to better match the curve of the windshield if any left/right parts of the HUD are out of focus (on mine, the left side seems misaligned and out of focus while the right side is quite sharp).

Keystone adjustment I imagine is just like on a projector and is to make a trapezoidal projection look more rectangular when the projector isn't exactly perpendicular to the projection plane.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Anyone have the HUD and try out the HUD adjustment settings? Would be very interested in what the distortion adjustment does. Hoping it adjusts the focal plane to better match the curve of the windshield if any left/right parts of the HUD are out of focus (on mine, the left side seems misaligned and out of focus while the right side is quite sharp).

Keystone adjustment I imagine is just like on a projector and is to make a trapezoidal projection look more rectangular when the projector isn't exactly perpendicular to the projection plane.
Sorry, I did not try the HUD adjustments available in Carista, but I did have the same or similar issue as you with uniform focus, but I was able to fix that with the in vehicle available adjustments.

dp

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I want to hear form people who have problems with the HUD so see if HUD image can be fixed. My HUD is clear but I feel for those who get headaches and can’t use it. There were multiple screens of options (lots) to modify the HUD so I have high hopes that this tool can restore a nice function like the HUD. This is my first Toyota hybrid/plug-in with a HUD and I would be frustrated if it hurt my eyes to look at it. It is amazing the information options you can get up on the HUD. Pretty soon all cars will project all dash information onto all the windows. We will not need to see out of the windows anyway because the vehicle will drive itself so much better that humans could (eventually).

·
Registered
839 Posts
This should be a great tool for investigating and fixing issues without going to the dealership.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hoping it adjusts the focal plane to better match the curve of the windshield if any left/right parts of the HUD are out of focus (on mine, the left side seems misaligned and out of focus while the right side is quite sharp).
OT - no harm in trying to improve things, but personally if I had issues with a new vehicle I'd be getting the dealer to resolve it. Carista is a great app, but it's no substitute for the Toyota Techstream software the techs use in the shop.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts