Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Chazz8,
I am told Toyota Service can access the number of miles when the ICE is running. Is this something that I can find (or ask Carista to find) with their system? There a number of us that would like to know the actual hours/miles when the ICE is operating. I'm not sure why Toyota does not provide that information but is this something that Carista can do?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Chazz8,
I am told Toyota Service can access the number of miles when the ICE is running. Is this something that I can find (or ask Carista to find) with their system? There a number of us that would like to know the actual hours/miles when the ICE is operating. I'm not sure why Toyota does not provide that information but is this something that Carista can do?
Does the odometer show miles driven irrespective of mode or just ICE mileage?
Seems crazy that we would have no access to how many miles the ICE was running for.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
405 Posts
Does the odometer show miles driven irrespective of mode or just ICE mileage?
Seems crazy that we would have no access to how many miles the ICE was running for.
Miles are miles, regardless of what kind of power propelled you. I’m not aware of any PHEV that shows mileage just for the engine.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
405 Posts
I just played around with the beta, and there are quite a few options in there. One feature I was hoping for was the ability to lock the car with the touch button on the outside handle even if one of the doors is open. There's an option to allow locking with the remote when a door is open, but that doesn't change the behavior when locking from the outside handle. At the very least, I would like to turn off the annoying long beep when you try to lock it this way when a door is open, but I don't see any way to do that either (even though that's in the sample customization list for a 5th gen RAV4).

One feature that can be enabled that piqued my interest was "Remote engine start". Do you suppose that allows the engine to start to help with remote preconditioning in the winter? I enabled the option and did a remote A/C, but I'm not sure that really tests anything since it's not cold out (the engine didn't start).

There's also an option to turn on or off the "Master caution light". Anyone know what that is?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I just played around with the beta, and there are quite a few options in there. One feature I was hoping for was the ability to lock the car with the touch button on the outside handle even if one of the doors is open. There's an option to allow locking with the remote when a door is open, but that doesn't change the behavior when locking from the outside handle. At the very least, I would like to turn off the annoying long beep when you try to lock it this way when a door is open, but I don't see any way to do that either (even though that's in the sample customization list for a 5th gen RAV4).

One feature that can be enabled that piqued my interest was "Remote engine start". Do you suppose that allows the engine to start to help with remote preconditioning in the winter? I enabled the option and did a remote A/C, but I'm not sure that really tests anything since it's not cold out (the engine didn't start).

There's also an option to turn on or off the "Master caution light". Anyone know what that is?
Remote engine start for winter would be good. Especially if that could work when it is also plugged in.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Miles are miles, regardless of what kind of power propelled you. I’m not aware of any PHEV that shows mileage just for the engine.
My last PHEV SUV did. Odometer was combined but seperately listed EV and ICE cumulative mileage on the dash.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Was that from a brand not available in the US by chance?
Not sure I get your point but...

Peugeot, so yes. Can't comment on any others other than the Ford Kuga PHEV which might go by Escape or something like that if that's available in the states. That too reports ICE and EV mileage from what I've heard. Check out the recent press coverage about how owners are driving about 50pc of their miles in EV. But I could be wrong as I haven't personally driven one.

No big deal for Toyota to issue it. After all, if you're a company car driver and you are putting your expense claim in you want your trip breakdown in ICE and EV miles. As Toyota seem to be targeting company car drivers in the UK (it's why the car is 74k USD here... because company car drivers get about a third off that in tax breaks) and several continental European countries I'd say that was a reasonable thing to implement or is my logic off?

I am curious as to how the second market is going to pan out when all you have is a combined value of total miles on the odometer with no idea of how that broke down? Did the driver hardly ever bother charging, meaning the ICE had a hard time? Or vice versa where the traction battery had a hard time. Personally if I was picking one up second hand I'd want to know the split. That could be interesting.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Never trust any odometer mileage reading of a second hand car...
Not on it's own I agree. But if the odometer is low, the service history checks out in terms of odometer readings, and the pedals and shifter don't have any wear and tear then that's all pointing towards a good direction?

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Chazz8,
I’m going to be investigating next month when I go in for my 1 year servicing. I have already been talking with service people and I’m hoping they let me watch when then hook up TechStream. Then I will ask them to show me miles on EV and HV. It has got to be in TechStream or the company that handles all Toyota data has it (sell it to insurance companies). I also plan to call Toyota (brand ambassador) and ask them how I can buy my vehicle data (insurance related statistics & EV vs HV miles traveled). I don’t care how accurate they are as long as the data is calculated in a logical way (we will never know how it is calculated).

I don’t think Carista can access the data we are looking for here. It looks to me like they have decoded all the normal/easy TechStream settings and reproduced them in the app. I have never heard of Carista showing this EV vs HV miles/hours.

Reactions: nickc72

·
Registered
863 Posts
I’m going to be investigating next month when I go in for my 1 year servicing. I have already been talking with service people and I’m hoping they let me watch when then hook up TechStream. Then I will ask them to show me miles on EV and HV. It has got to be in TechStream or the company that handles all Toyota data has it (sell it to insurance companies). I also plan to call Toyota (brand ambassador) and ask them how I can buy my vehicle data (insurance related statistics & EV vs HV miles traveled). I don’t care how accurate they are as long as the data is calculated in a logical way (we will never know how it is calculated).

I don’t think Carista can access the data we are looking for here. It looks to me like they have decoded all the normal/easy TechStream settings and reproduced them in the app. I have never heard of Carista showing this EV vs HV miles/hours.
I suppose if most of the time, most folk are charging from home from a wall box then just add up the total kwhrs of energy delivered (usually in the wall box App) and divide by 14.5 then multiply by average miles per full charge (40 to 55 or whatever an individual is getting). Subtract that from the odometer reading and we get ICE mileage approximately.

Obviously not everyone will be fortunate enough to be able to do this but my wall box keeps a full record of every charge, total energy delivered in a connection and cumulative totals etc.

It's approximate but at least it is something?

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I am not most folks. I do not currently have total kWhs as I’m using the Toyota provided 120v Level 1 charger. That is why I’m trying to get Toyota or dealer tech to show me my own darn driving data.

Reactions: nickc72

·
Registered
75 Posts
TechStream seems to be easy to get via download. Apparently several versions of TechStream exist. It would help if anybody could explain the differences between Carista and TechStream.
@Chazz8 Please don't forget to report here after your discussion with the toyota mechanics.

·
Registered
583 Posts
TechStream seems to be easy to get via download. Apparently several versions of TechStream exist. It would help if anybody could explain the differences between Carista and TechStream.
@Chazz8 Please don't forget to report here after your discussion with the toyota mechanics.
TechStream is Toyota's proprietary scanning tool that does everything needed on every Toyota model as far as programming and code diagnosis. Carista is an aftermarket company that does the same thing as TechStream as far as programming and code scanning, BUT on a much more limited basis. It can do all the things TechStream can do.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Thanks for the information. Please keep us updated. Someone said it might be possible to connect an hour meter to the gasoline pump? I do not know if the pump is always running when the ICE is on, or if it only runs based on pressure in the line? Maybe you know or could ask them if we connected to the fuse of the gas pump, we would know when the ICE is running?
Good luck with your visit next month.

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
271 Posts
If you know your HV mpg number with any reasonable certainty, you can back-calculate your EV only miles and therefore obtain your HV miles - it won't be ICE only, but it would be the same miles as a hybrid Rav would report.
Sure it isn't exact, but its easy and close enough, IMO.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I am not most folks. I do not currently have total kWhs as I’m using the Toyota provided 120v Level 1 charger. That is why I’m trying to get Toyota or dealer tech to show me my own darn driving data.
No worries Chazz. We should just be given the data full stop.

·
Registered
459 Posts
TechStream seems to be easy to get via download.
I have no personal experience with TechStream, but as an IT guy I can tell you that any download procured outside of Toyota themselves is a hacked copy that will require a lot of technical fiddling to get operational, which is the reason so many claim to offer remote assistance to install it after purchasing. If you do consider trying this, I'd highly recommend a "throw-away" laptop that will never see general purpose personal use... There's every chance the software will have some viruses and of course you're letting some random person from Albania or elsewhere remote into your machine to get it set up. Additionally, it is quite possible to muck up your ECU's if you don't know what you're doing, leaving the car inoperable.

That said, TechStream and Carista are two entirely different things - TechStream is the software that Toyota techs use to diagnose and help repair, while Carista is a glorified OBDII scanner that can set several Toyota specific options that no other OBDII scanner can. TechStream can pair keyfobs, reprogram odometers, purge ABS brakes and manually operate virtually every electrically operated piece of equipment in the car to aid troubleshooting. Carista can set a few options and also program TPMS sensor data (very handy for sure), but doesn't have access to every bit of low level detail that TechStream can access.

I'd personally love to play around with TechStream, but so far haven't had the need that meets the trouble involved.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts