Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you for your detailed answer, TomKatt. So Carista should be 1st choice. And Techstream only if Carista can't fix a special problem, well aware of the virus risk.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
403 Posts
I really want to know if the "remote engine start" option does what it sounds like it does, but there doesn't seem to be any explanation of what these options do that I can find in the app. I guess I'll submit a question to Carista and see if they can provide any more details.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It has got to be in TechStream or the company that handles all Toyota data has it (sell it to insurance companies). I also plan to call Toyota (brand ambassador) and ask them how I can buy my vehicle data (insurance related statistics & EV vs HV miles traveled).
I believe GDPR (Europe) and CCPA (California) require that a lot of this data be made available for free to customers. It's creepy living in an information economy and being the "product." Laws are catching up. I declined Insure Connect and Service Connect when I took delivery. FYI it's an option in the app. (which seems to be about all the app is good for on the SE trim).

·
Registered
455 Posts
I really want to know if the "remote engine start" option does what it sounds like it does, but there doesn't seem to be any explanation of what these options do that I can find in the app. I guess I'll submit a question to Carista and see if they can provide any more details.
I don't have a Prime, but Carista only offers options that Toyota already provide to the user - If you look in the OM, it describes virtually every option that can be changed... Some can be changed by controls existing in the car, others require the dealer / TechStream to modify. The OM typically specifies user vs dealer option capabilities. With the exception of setting TPMS sensor data (which isn't technically an option), I would imagine that Carista pretty much mirrors that option list.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't have a Prime, but Carista only offers options that Toyota already provide to the user - If you look in the OM, it describes virtually every option that can be changed... Some can be changed by controls existing in the car, others require the dealer / TechStream to modify. The OM typically specifies user vs dealer option capabilities. With the exception of setting TPMS sensor data (which isn't technically an option), I would imagine that Carista pretty much mirrors that option list.
This is one option I've been looking for in Carista. The OM says the dealer can change it, but it seems like something Carista should be able to do. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I already turned that off in Carista, but it only applies when using the button on the fob to lock the car. It still beeps when you try to lock the car with the outside door handle if a door is open.
Why do you want to stop the beeping reminder? Don't you want to know that all doors are locked?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Why do you want to stop the beeping reminder? Don't you want to know that all doors are locked?
Because it's obnoxious and doesn't stop until you close the door. What I really want is to just be able to lock the doors even when one is open. It's kinda silly that you can change a setting to allow this with the fob lock button, but not the handle lock button.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Because it's obnoxious and doesn't stop until you close the door. What I really want is to just be able to lock the doors even when one is open. It's kinda silly that you can change a setting to allow this with the fob lock button, but not the handle lock button.
I understand. Toyota is crazy about safety and not getting sued. They won't take a chance that you weren't warned that a door was still open before walking away from the car.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I experimented with Carista option; Wireless door locking while doors are opened (ENABLED/DISABLED)
Enabled - Lock button press on FOB locks doors even when one is open. If you open a door after you turn R4P off it still ding-ding-dings forever but you can press lock on FOB and the dinging stops, and you may be locked in if your door was not open. When I opened driver door and key fob locked all doors, got out and close my door, then the car beeped to announce all doors were locked (I verified). Armrest door lock buttons do NOT lock the doors if one is open. Groves on door handles do NOT lock door when one is open.
Font Screenshot Gadget Communication Device Multimedia

Reactions: nickc72

·
Registered
220 Posts
Unless you use the fob to lock it, which doesn't make sense.
I assume it is to prevent you from locking your keys inside. If you use the key FOB to lock your doors, you probably have your keys in hand and would be pretty stupid to throw them back inside and close the door.

dp

·
Registered
403 Posts
I assume it is to prevent you from locking your keys inside. If you use the key FOB to lock your doors, you probably have your keys in hand and would be pretty stupid to throw them back inside and close the door.

dp
Nope. The door handle buttons only work if you have your key fob with you. It won't lock if the fob is left in the car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nope. The door handle buttons only work if you have your key fob with you. It won't lock if the fob is left in the car.
Of course I know that, but if you have your keys in a bag or purse, and lock the doors with the door handle button with the door open, and then decide to leave bag in the car and then close the door, the ding warns you that something is not right. Sorry, but I don't see it as an issue. I hope you are able to get this annoyance for you resolved.

dp

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I don’t like having to wait for everybody to get out of my vehicle before I can lock it and get going (anywhere). Now as I walk away from my vehicle with people still getting out/stuff ready, I can press lock on FOB and when the last door is closed the R4P beeps&flashes to let me know it locked (if I’m still in hearing range).

Reactions: generaltso

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is there a way to lock the car while it’s running? For instance to keep the cabin cool in summer. I haven’t been able to accomplish it on a default delivery. Remote start only runs for a few minutes. I’m hoping something where I can keep it running longer.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Is there a way to lock the car while it’s running? For instance to keep the cabin cool in summer. I haven’t been able to accomplish it on a default delivery. Remote start only runs for a few minutes. I’m hoping something where I can keep it running longer.
Does the old fashioned way of using the physical key to lock the door work? You might need to physically start the car (instead of remote start), leave the fob in the car and then lock the doors with the key. Then you need to open it back up with the key as well. That's how it works on Gen 4... We do that occasionally when it's very hot and the dogs are in the car (AC running)...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does the old fashioned way of using the physical key to lock the door work? You might need to physically start the car (instead of remote start), leave the fob in the car and then lock the doors with the key. Then you need to open it back up with the key as well. That's how it works on Gen 4... We do that occasionally when it's very hot and the dogs are in the car (AC running)...
Good idea will try that.

Edit: Works thanks for the tip!!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts