Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
403 Posts
I contacted Carista and asked them for details about what the “Remote Engine Start” option does. In a nutshell, they don’t know. They suggested trying the 3 lock press routine that non-Primes use for remote start to see if it starts the engine, but that doesn’t seem to do anything on the Prime except lock it 3 times.

They said that the option really does exist in the Prime or they wouldn’t be able to display and enable it. They recommended leaving the garage door open during any remote start attempts while that option is enabled in case the engine does start. They’re very interested in having Prime owners test it and report back to them.

My hope is that it will start the engine any time it’s too cold for the heat pump to function during a remote start. But I’m skeptical and don’t have any way to test that until winter.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My understanding is that the engine can never be started on the Prime, because it will always start with the battery. After the battery is in ready mode, and if it's cold outside, the heat pump is supposed to supply heat to the car, I think.
And, if you have an SE, none of this will work, because it doesn't have Remote Services. I think.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
403 Posts
My understanding is that the engine will can never be started on the Prime, because it will always start with the battery. After the battery is in ready mode, and if it's cold outside, the heat pump is supposed to supply heat to the car, I think.
By default, yes that’s true. But there’s hidden setting called “Remote Engine Start” that can be enabled with Carista. What that setting does is the question.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Who has some experiences with the Carly app? The Carly people claim to be better than Carista.
I had not heard of Carly until you just mentioned it... I looked at their website and it appears their Customization option for Toyota is labeled as 'Coding (in beta)', so it sounds like it's not quite ready? Also, unlike Carista, it looks like you need to purchase their adapter costing $80.89, and the "Features" are still subscription based - it's not clear how much the renewal costs, but a quick Google seems to indicate the $80 fee is the annual price. That's way too expensive IMO - once you approach $100 you might as well get TecStream with a decent adapter (VXDIAG Nano), or a stand-alone scan tool like the Foxwell NT530, which does bidirectional communication.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Tomkatt, thanx for your answer.
This here sounds different, but I keep in mind that this comparison is published by Carly:
or (maybe you ask your browser to translate it):
So I thought maybe one of the folks here knows more about these OBD2-coding apps.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
We know that Carista Beta app has some functionality for the Rav 4 Prime, because I bought a dongle and tried it. I will let somebody else perform this experiment for Carly. Looks like it could (I’m guessing will) cost you your time to send it back for a refund. They don’t have a list of approved vehicles and I know that Toyota is changing it’s OBD architecture (comma.ai can’t access some R4P ECUs) and the R4P is different from the Hybrid (Heat Pump for one). If they are not bragging about reading the latest Toyota OBD, then they probably can’t (nobody is).

From my Carly.com;
To make sure which functions are supported by your individual car, you will need to connect the Scanner and the free Carly Basic Features. We offer you a 14-day money-back guarantee for the Carly Scanner so you can test it together with the free lite version of the app. If it is not as expected, you can send the scanner back to us within the given period.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK, in this answer the Carly people don't sound very self-confident. -
Btw, my Toyota dealer configured my wishes for free.
And because my R4P was too dimly lighted I changed the halogen bulbs in the passenger and the luggage compartment to LED and was dissatified still. Only after I installed Lasfit LEDs instead it is brightly lit as it should be. And before someone gets wrong ideas: I am not receiving payments by lasfit...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Chazz8,
I am told Toyota Service can access the number of miles when the ICE is running. Is this something that I can find (or ask Carista to find) with their system? There a number of us that would like to know the actual hours/miles when the ICE is operating. I'm not sure why Toyota does not provide that information but is this something that Carista can do?
Chazz8,
Any update on my question? Or, did I miss it?

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
No EV or HV miles driven, no total kWh charged, no emissions data/calculations (Toyota Europe), no daily/monthly EV and HV data (Prius Prime) available in Carista Beta app as of Oct 13, 2021

·
Registered
149 Posts
No EV or HV miles driven, no total kWh charged, no emissions data/calculations (Toyota Europe), no daily/monthly EV and HV data (Prius Prime) available in Carista Beta app as of Oct 13, 2021
Hi Chazz8,

Is there anything in the new Beta App that would help us prevent unwanted/unnecessary ICE engine braking in EV mode? Perhaps something to make the cruise control more "forgiving" of increasing a couple MPH while going down a small hill, or letting the cruise control apply more regenerative braking?

61 - 75 of 75 Posts