Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had 300 miles on my new Toyota, on a rush hour jam someone jumped the intersection and rear ended us. I think the very young lady was texing but the cop didn't see that. My wife and I were all right, and we were able to drive the 60 miles home. It was a low mph accident but pushed in the back door, and pushed in the gas tank protection bar at the bumper. The alignment was all right and the tank didn't leak.

We notified Toyota and I expected a trade off on a new rental car. Not a chance, the insurance decided to repair. My argument(as if I needed one) was that no one would want a new wrecked vehicle. This is when I discovered the "rental" cars are bought cars. "Rental units are the same as cars purchased on loans", my sales rep said.

We took it into the same repair shop that the dealer uses and the insurance insisted we do. I demanded a point by point mechanical spec sheet after all the repairs are made. These had actual numbers, not a check box. They obliged, and I have to say I was pleased with that. Everything was fine, although my concern was gear face shock, and mount cracks that turn to fatigue cracks later. Aluminum castings not the best in accidents. The work was excellent and the car didn't seem to suffer anything by the accident.

I was especially angry when they said the car would end up on car proof. My sorry was that we didn't fight for an additional depreciation cost of say 7000 on the vehicle. Someone said we can't win, besides, other things were happening so we didn't pursue it. I think I will do it if/when the accident does become an issue on the sale of the car.

So don't expect anything from Toyota even if your in the right. They could have written it off with no cost to Toyota. The message is don't get in an accident even if it's not your fault, yeah I know. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Why do you feel Toyota is obligated to give you a new car. It sounds as though the damage is minor and repairable or it would have been totalled. This all falls under insurance not Toyota.....maybe I'm not understanding this correctly.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
The accident had nothing to do with Toyota corporate so it does not appear logical or reasonable that Toyota would feel obligated to give you a new car. As RTexasF states, it is a matter to be settled by insurance, not by the vehicle's manufacturer. Also from the post it appears that the damage repair has been well done. Maybe there is something about this situation which is not apparent?? What does "rental car" mean? Is it one being actually rented (doesn't appear so since you are concerned with selling the car), or is it being bought on credit, with payments being made?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm confused as well. But I do understand the concern for diminished value, even from a minor accident. As said though, it would be an issue with the other driver's insurance or if they didn't have any then with one's own insurance I think.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The accident had nothing to do with Toyota corporate so it does not appear logical or reasonable that Toyota would feel obligated to give you a new car. As RTexasF states, it is a matter to be settled by insurance, not by the vehicle's manufacturer. Also from the post it appears that the damage repair has been well done. Maybe there is something about this situation which is not apparent?? What does "rental car" mean? Is it one being actually rented (doesn't appear so since you are concerned with selling the car), or is it being bought on credit, with payments being made?

Maybe it's a Leased car, and in Canada there are 2 provinces with Government Car Insurance. That might complicate things, I suppose.
Ott.

·
Registered
419 Posts
6 years ago, our son bought a '08 Nissan Rogue with $2,800 body shop on CarFax.
- bumper & grill or bumper & taillight
- to me: very minimum collision damage that doesn't bent the uni-body, are fine cars to purchase
- he had SUV for 4 years, and I detailed it, took it in for a few repairs & flipped it for him
- did disclose the cosmetic damage, which was of zero concern to next buyer
- and sold it for strong $$, exceeding KBB value

Now if this car had +/-$10,000 in damages, he would of passed on the purchase.

NoShowGlo8! - what was the total cost of damage ??

When I had 300 miles on my new Toyota, on a rush hour jam someone jumped the intersection and rear ended us. I think the very young lady was texing but the cop didn't see that. My wife and I were all right, and we were able to drive the 60 miles home. It was a low mph accident but pushed in the back door, and pushed in the gas tank protection bar at the bumper. The alignment was all right and the tank didn't leak..........

We took it into the same repair shop that the dealer uses and the insurance insisted we do. I demanded a point by point mechanical spec sheet after all the repairs are made. These had actual numbers, not a check box. They obliged, and I have to say I was pleased with that. Everything was fine, although my concern was gear face shock, and mount cracks that turn to fatigue cracks later. Aluminum castings not the best in accidents. The work was excellent and the car didn't seem to suffer anything by the accident.......
NoShowGlo8! ^^ Can you post a copy of your "point by point mechanical spec sheet"?
...and thanks.

Value of depreciation from accident identified on CarFax / will depend on how long you keep it.
- starts at 15% IMO, on a fairly new vehicle / % would increase by overall extent of repair costs

10 years ago, I purchased a safety checked Volvo v70 wagon...several $$ in repaired damages.
- I purchased it for 25% below wholesale
- drove wagon for 8 more years and sold it for 1/2 what I paid earlier / CarFax had Zero impact

My friend bought a 2016 Lexus NX200 off a dealer with 17,000 Km and $19,000 in fixed front end damage / bumper cover, grille & expensive head light.
- MRSP was $68K Canadian...he paid $38K ...45% discount on a mint SUV, with limited Km
- it was a heck of a good & cheap purchase...damage value was scaring off many buyers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts