Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone carried a canoe on crossbars on a Rav4 2015? I was going to get a set of Rage powersport crossbars and carry the canoe on top of the car on a camping trip. I was wondering if the arc of the roof side rails will end up putting the front of the canoe up in the air enough so that it catches too much wind and blow off. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i carried a canoe on top of my rav4 last month on a family vacation. i used toyota OE cross bars.

i tied down front and back to the car, in addition to tying the canoe to the rack. in the front, i did not have easy access to tie down points on the car, so i used thule "jam nuts" (recommended by another user on this forum) that slide between the hood and fenders as the tie down points, and they worked very well. details are found elsewhere in this forum; if you search on my user name it should pop up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This week I had the misfortune of trying to haul my canoe a very short distance.

I have the factory installed crossbars. Up to this point I was very pleased with them because they had a lot less road noise than the previous set of cross bars that I put on the Forester I owned.

I'm trying to get something to work with my setup.

I am using a canoe lifter that mounts into my tow hitch.

I have straps on front, middle and back.

I have a couple issues.
1) The canoe lifter (which is used also as a rack) floats around.
2) The contact between my canoe rails and cross bars is quite slippery.

In my trip to the lake the canoe slipped forward when I stopped (due to the loose canoe lifter) and then slipped off when I turned. (due to the slippery contact between canoe and cross bars.

I think I minimized the loose canoe lifter issue as I found a couple side holes on the after market tow hitch which spread out the holding on the back of the canoe.

On my way back home it still slipped off to the side due to the slippery canoe to rail contact. (Plastic to Plastic).

Thankfully the middle hold down prevented my canoe from flying away.

Another issue I ran into was that there wasn't a good front tie down location. I appreciate Garthman's suggestion about the Thule Jamnuts.

I have to believe there is a half decent solution to getting a good canoe tiedown. It may take a little work to get there.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Hope it wasn't anything like this!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nothing at all like that. Ouch!!!

My tough lesson was that even though the canoe may be tied down, a loose end can be quite unpleasant.

I ended up running over the loose strap and before I knew it the middle of the canoe caught up with the front.

As bad as the canoe was twisted it popped back to shape relatively easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts