Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already posted this article (same name) in the PHOTO GALLERY (05-07-2017 08:42 PM). I've included a few photos but I have many more:

Parts removed: 11 photos
Initial photos: 19 photos
Remove SnoBird setup: 21 photos

I also have WORD documents that refer to the RAV4 XLE Hybrid manuals and document, step by step:
- Removal of entire rear seat assembly
- Remove SnoBird Setup
- Reinstall original RAV4 back seats

I used the Toyota Technical Information Systems website and the manuals available there:
1 - ROOF HEADLINING
2 - REAT SEAT ASSEMBLY
3 - OWNERS MANUAL

If you're interested in doing this to your 2017 RAV4 Hybrid, I'd be glad to share my documentation and photos.

Attachments

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Interesting mod. The wheel does look like it might puncture the headliner, it you hit a big bump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, both sides of the tire hit the headliner first. When I put the tire back up there this winter, I'll be putting frog tape on the tire so I don't have to remove the marks that the tire left on the headliner this spring.

·
Read Only
33 Posts
Appreciated your article and pictures. Very clever idea and good execution. Maybe you can help me with what I am thinking. I have a 2005 that I got just a couple months ago. Wondering - what would it take to get room enough to sleep back there? When you took out the rear seats was there enough space that you could have engineered a platform that could accommodate someone six feet tall? I suspect that much of the basic Toyota design for that part of your car is still engineering is still very similar to mine. Before I start actually doing something, I'd like to know if is actually feasible.

Oh - I would appreciate hearing/seeing a bit about the original SnoBird set-up you mentioned. Seeing where you live makes me think it would be a good idea for a lot of folks.

Thanks again, Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tom,

I just measured with the trunk closed and the front seats upright. It's 6' so if you moved the front seats up further than we keep them, you can probably get up to 6' 8". However, the center console is fixed and it measures 6' 4" from the rear of the console to the closed trunk lid. I did build a platform (as you'll see) and I could have extended it to accommodate someone 6' tall if necessary. Since you'll also want to be able to drive the car with the platform in, you'll need to figure out how long you can make it and still slide the front seats back far enough for driving comfort.

Reply with your email address and I'll send you all of the photos and documents.

Tom Adams

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Good for you. I haven't ridden a bike since I was 12 and that was 56 years ago. Might be why I'm such a fat ass!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very nice! I've wondered about being able to build a sleeping platform but didn't know how to take out the rear seats. I'll pm you to get full details. Thanks

PS I recently trekked from southern CA to Santa Cruz to see my daughter and we then went over to ride the American River trail from Davis to Folsom. Great ride of about 45 miles and there is a very nice hotel at the end in Old Folsom that gives bike riders a discounted room rate. On the drive from Santa Cruz to Davis we had 2 road bikes, 3 adults and our luggage all inside. Tight but not a big issue. Had to take the seats, handle bars and pedals off the bikes but that is a 10 minute job on two bikes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Very impressive. As a cyclist, I generally carry one bike back there and it is a royal pain because of the slope. I've been wondering if there is a simple way to level the back that could be easily converted back and forth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tom,

If you still have these instructions available, and don't mind sharing pls let me know.
Sadly, i need to take my rear seats out due to a water leak.

Much appreciated!

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've already posted this article (same name) in the PHOTO GALLERY (05-07-2017 08:42 PM). I've included a few photos but I have many more:

Parts removed: 11 photos
Initial photos: 19 photos
Remove SnoBird setup: 21 photos

I also have WORD documents that refer to the RAV4 XLE Hybrid manuals and document, step by step:
- Removal of entire rear seat assembly
- Remove SnoBird Setup
- Reinstall original RAV4 back seats

I used the Toyota Technical Information Systems website and the manuals available there:
1 - ROOF HEADLINING
2 - REAT SEAT ASSEMBLY
3 - OWNERS MANUAL

If you're interested in doing this to your 2017 RAV4 Hybrid, I'd be glad to share my documentation and photos.

Could I get the documentation for this? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Email is: EL0546 at gmail.com. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have them stored on ONEDRIVE. I just shared both my initial information and also the one on removing and then reinstalling the next year. Let me know if you run into any problems viewing them

Good luck, Tom ([email protected])

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for this. It looks very interesting. Can you please provide me the details or the link to onedrive?

My Email address is parag_kanetkar at yahoo.com.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello Tom,

Thanks for sharing this awesome post, would it be possible to also share your photos and instructions with me?

rhrl at hotmail.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts