Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have read of police confiscating cash from people on the road in questionable-cause cases, and in many of the cases it cost the individuals time and money to recover their cash. Some of these situations involve what many would consider pocket change, for example $1,500 a fellow was going to use to pay tuition.

I am an olde pharte who does not trust the international digital infrastructure, so I wonder what it would be like if I had to gas-up during a network black-out. It has happened to me once on a small scale.

So if I am driving halfway across America that means I will have at least $5,000 cash on me - enough for an ambitious, poorly informed cop to steal my money and leave stranded, destitute.

So at the risk of disclosure where in the RAV4 can we safely stash our cash?

(Funny-not but I am less concerned about carrying a firearm onboard because the laws for that are clear and less ambiguous.)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
you could sow a pocket under the seat, hide it behind the panel above the obdcii port, or slide it up the bottom of the panel on the side of the gear selector, those panels are pretty easy to remove when you know how!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I would be more concerned with someone in some parts of Minneapolis, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc. relieving me of that amount of cash at gunpoint. Relieving me of my wallet happened to me in San Francisco, and right near my workplace at that. Forget about pulling a gun on them especially if one is on foot - they are clever and well practiced enough to make certain that they already have the drop on one when they do their thing.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,832 Posts
There are plenty of places in the RAV4 to hide stuff, just use your imagination. Problem is, cops have dogs that can sniff out cash and other things. Watch this John Oliver video on civil forfeiture. It should be a wake-up call to every US citizen:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not all cops are out to steal your $$$

:seriousBeing a cop myself, this isn't something we practice in my agency and I'm sure isn't in most others.... Only reason why your money should be taken is if there is a large amount of drugs in the vehicle or on your person, then with a large amount of cash also onboard, it's assumed you're dealing and that becomes evidence. We don't just take people's money just to take it. It's never a good idea to carry that amount of cash on hand anyways... Much safer to load it onto a pre-paid credit card or leave it on your debit card until you're ready to use it. :wink

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's never a good idea to carry that amount of cash on hand anyways... Much safer to load it onto a pre-paid credit card or leave it on your debit card until you're ready to use it.
Don't get me wrong - $5000 is a reasonable roll for cross-country travel; I am not rich, but I have been in situations where only cash was acceptable for gas, and also in a situation where the only station for miles beyond my tank were shut down due to an internet failure - cards were impossible.

And thank you for your service, and being there for the rest of us. You are much appreciated.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i dont have much money, so when i travel, i only bring just much for gas and food, like 1500$, lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts