Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but have been reading lots o' good stuff.

I have an '01 Rav and my CEL came on. I have about 86,000 miles on it thus far. I took it to the dealer to get scanned and the p0220 & 230 codes came up. The guy says I need a new Cat, along with the 4 censors replaced. HOWEVER, I kinda bitched at him and he said that thats the worst case scenerio. He goes on to tell me that its possible that the censors may NOT need to be raplaced (depending on if they get damaged while taking the Cat out). So the cost of repairs may go down, but they won't know until they start the work.

Also, I just find it a little funny that my Cat needs to be replaced because I just had my emissions test done 2 months ago, and passed with flying colours. I've been told that a faulty Cat would probably botch the emissions testing; so I'm finding it hard to believe that something could of happened to my Cat in a mere 2 months (otherwise the Rav would of failed the test).

What do you people think?? Is it possible that the Cat is actually ok and maybe its just a faulty censor that caused the CEL to go on? And is it possible to tell if my Cat is shot just by what the codes say?

Its obvious the dealerships wanna make money and I'm totally convinced this one is scamming me big time.
I just want some opinions before I go back there.

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
106 Posts
Get a second opinion and never go back to that place again. It seemd like they kept back-peddling when you called 'em out on the carpet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts