Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine light came on and had code pulled can't remember the number butnit was for defective cat conv. I was wondering if an exhaust leak before muffler could also cause this code. It was only a few months after leak began that code came up. I was thinking that a leak could cause cat to not work properly and cause engine light to come on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not sure but the exhaust leak needs to be fixed as well. The cat codes I had were the P0420 and sometimes but very rare was the P0430. I have my own reader and just reset it when the lights came on. Thought it could be the O2 sensor but no. Well I finally got tired of the MIL lights so I had the cat replaced and no more codes. Fix the leak (if you have not already done so) and run it to see. If the P0420 or P0430 come up again then it is probably the cat running below threshold and somewhere down the line it will have to be replaced. If you do not have the resources to fix the cat (pretty expensive) get a reader from Amazon or elswhere they are pretty cheap and reset them yourself. I have read here that some people have had bad cats running for years with no problems. They just reset it before the yearly inspection of course.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.