Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to emty my catalytic converter so when i go for the yearly inspection the wil see its still hanging there butt i will know its emty.

Can i do that or are there thing to consider ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have an emission inspection in your country?? Why do you want to empty the converter?
In the US we must pass an annual emission inspection and all emission equipment must be working in order to pass the inspection> This is done by taking an analysis of the exhaust emission.

·
Registered
159 Posts
In US laws vary from state to state. In my state, vehicles older than 15 years old do not have to undergo ANY emissions testing! They are supposed to do a "visual check", but they do not often do it. So we can get away with it on older cars.

Why do it? Cat consumes around 10% of car's power! So if you want a bit more power, while getting better fuel economy and you not care about your car producing more pollution, that is not a bad little mod...

in US, Rav4 comes with TWO cats, one in the exhaust manifold and another one under the passenger seat. The exhaust manifold cat is checked by ECU with a secondary O2 sensor. Emptying it will likely cause a CE light. The secondary cat is not checked, so removing it should not trigger anything in the car.

OP, I have heard that some areas used on infrared to detect "emptied" cats (they are cooler than normal cats). As I recall, that was in California and they do all sort of wacky things over there :).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have an emission inspection in your country?? Why do you want to empty the converter?
In the US we must pass an annual emission inspection and all emission equipment must be working in order to pass the inspection> This is done by taking an analysis of the exhaust emission.
Because i hate anything that restricts the normal engine use like in the early days.

And we do have an emisions test the put a probe in the exaust to count the CO2 .

·
Registered
599 Posts
I am with you on getting performance with exhaust mods, I have not gone out of the way to delete the cats on my RAV's, but the only O2 sensor is before the cat converter, so removing the element does not change anything. likewise my ML270cdi has none of the MB exhaust left, and no cat can, she breaths a lot better and sounds very grunty, just more diesel smell than normal.

However, we do not have emissions testing here, none at all, so its easy to get away with. if you have the emissions testing, removing the cat converter element will result in a failed test :(, you would be best to leave it as it is and look for a high flow cat system in the meanwhile.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Oh, and if you think cat cans are bad, try dealing with diesel EGR systems :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts