Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2005 RAV4. I think the cat is toast (P0420 code, O2 sensors are ok).
While looking for parts (OE replacements, direct fit) I noticed there are 2 choices:
1. Integrated cat with the manifold, meaning, The cat sits in the engine bay
2. Traditional cat that is separated from the manifold and sits below the car

My current one is the ladder, meaning sits below the car. Anyone know what type of cat the car had when it went off the assembly line?
And which of the 2 choices makes better sense?
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
You might use this hack first:

I used it on an '03 Civic after replacing the downstream O2 sensor (the one that sets the code) and finding out the the converter had been replaced by Sears (for $800!) nine months earlier. Worked perfect. No more P0420!

Reactions: greekcs

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found for my 02, it was actually the coil packs and the spark plugs that needed to be changed. When they are bad they can give a bad mixture for the o2 sensor.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2005 RAV4. I think the cat is toast (P0420 code, O2 sensors are ok).
While looking for parts (OE replacements, direct fit) I noticed there are 2 choices:
1. Integrated cat with the manifold, meaning, The cat sits in the engine bay
2. Traditional cat that is separated from the manifold and sits below the car

My current one is the ladder, meaning sits below the car. Anyone know what type of cat the car had when it went off the assembly line?
And which of the 2 choices makes better sense?
Thank you!
The original one that came with the car was 1. Integrated cat with the manifold, meaning, The cat sits in the engine bay
Note some website may list a rear cat but it is not true there is only one cat and it is in the engine bay. There is a rear silencer (resonator) which maybe misnamed.

Strange that your cat is not in the engine bay because the O2 sensor wires are in the engine area?

Check to see if there is an O2 sensor in the the exhaust manifold and that would be the cat.

All the RAV4 have the cat in the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
82 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts