Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for anyone that has worked with the exhaust or catalytic converter. I have a 96 Rav4 and have been informed that the catalytic converter is out and needs to be replaced. Does this system require any welding? I have done some exhaust work on older cars in the past and can replace this myself if it does not require welding, but I do not have welder available to me at this time. Also does anyone have a link or diagram of the exhaust claps? I am going to try and replace the clamps as well but wanted to make sure I had them all and ordered them all up front before starting on the job.

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you get a replacement Toyota part I believe it should bolt right on where the old one was. However, since your Rav is a 96, the bolts might be rusted pretty bad, and in that case the exhaust might need to be cut apart.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Change it yourself, and ditch the converter if you can. Toyota wants damn near $500 for the assembly. No welding if you get it from them. It's a toyota specific part, so if direct swap is what you want I hope you can pay for it.

BTW, only ditch it if you don't have emissions checks in your state.
:twisted:
Later

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Yes randyhjackson, dnylrq and Jeff, are right. The heat from years has clamed your Cat ends. If you try to un-torque them, they will break. No matter how much WD40 you spray to it. Try a new one. Regarding price, dnylrq is right, pricey in deed, $500.00 :roll: .

Try an aftermarket one from Catco, they are emission legal. A lot cheaper and it will give your RAV4 a little more punch. Price starts at $55.69 at Summit Racing. It's the one on the top. BTW, the inlet and outlet are 2.25. I'm installing one this weekend. Hope this helps.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 1997 RAV4, 4-door 4WD which also needs a new catalytic converter. Which Catco catalytic converter would fit this vehicle?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing that I noticed one the Catco converter pictured is that it does not have the lips welded on. Do these come pre-welded? I dont have access to a welder at this time and I know through Autozone, they had one that was pre-welded where you only had to bolt it in that was $75 + tax.

Also as far as the hangers go, does anyone have a diagram of the exhaust system that shows where all of the hangers are located? I think I may be missing some of them when I have looked at it and wanted to check out the diagram to double check.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
sean18mb said:
I have a 1997 RAV4, 4-door 4WD which also needs a new catalytic converter. Which Catco catalytic converter would fit this vehicle?
I guess you'd have to contact Summit Racing Tech for that answer. I order mine taking into consideration the 2.25 inlet/outlet diameter. The one you see here, I installed it today. It IS larger then the OEM, still there is a lot of space under your RAV4 that can use one from 2 inches to 2.5 inches without any problem. Of course this depends on what you want to install regarding pipe diameter. Just weld it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts