Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am not great at electronics , so complex wire connections are no no.

I want a simple install of CB radio .
I have purchased Oricom UHF030 CB Radio (Australian Model).

I have to still buy the Antenna and Antenna wire.

Questions.

1. I am thinking of installing it in the Centre Console as I have checked the radio fits there perfectly. Is this the best place?
2. What is the best place to wire this up , (i don't want to solder the Ciggrete Lighter Slot) and it should be so that the Radio auto switches off when the ignition is off.
3. Where to put the Extra fuse , as I have read that is a must and can I put the connection directly in the Fuse box then which is the best location.
4. Grounding this one is terrifying me, recommend the best place.
5. I am thinking of a 4.5 DB antenna as an allrounder one, non fibreglass model (cheap and best) , what would you recommend. I generally do city driving in Melbourne.
6. Wires where do I get them in and out both for the Antenna and the Power Cable for the Unit.
7. Antenna wire which one I need to buy.
8. If i have to do some screwing and drilling (non avoidable one) then where

Lastly Pictures Pictures Picture they will hep a lot

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
That is a 5 watt radio. You can use the power connector that is inside of the box. That turns off when you turn off the car.

Remove the unused rectangular port inside. You run your wire through through that, past the gearshift, and under the dash. I went up the passenger A pillar with a coax, but you have to be careful to not interfere with the airbag. Not simple, so I don't know how motivated you are. I don't have a suggestion for your antenna, but I put holes in my roof.

An alternative would be to route the coax down under the dash and under the doors toward the rear area. That avoids airbags.

Typically you would use RG58C/U or RG58A/U coax.

I ran power with extra fuses because I was doing more watts for an amateur transceiver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuse Location

Hi Carbon,

Thank you for your response.

The only issue I have with this option is that I don't have the model where all the controls are on the Mic itself, so I will need the Radio to be located in such a place where I can fiddle with it easily that is why I was looking at the empty space under in the Centre Console.

Also Thank you for the Cable information.

Also I was able to see one empty Slot in the Fuse box battrey side.

I Think it will match the Fuse they have provided in the wiring I will click a picture of that and update as well.

Can I use the Fuse Box is my question.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'd seriously question putting it in the center console, because with the lid closed there would be no way for heat to escape.

Most electronics need to breathe, and it doesn't sound like there would be an opportunity for that if placed inside the center console.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts