Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I will be picking up my 2017 RAV4 Liberty a week from today. I've been trying to move my country music songs (MP3s) from my CDs to a flash drive (FAT32 format). Using Windows Media Player, I was getting folders, and sub-folders on my flash drive. I WAS HOPING to get my songs to appear by title in a list without any folders.

I found a software program online called - Express Rip Power Edition from NCH Software. It does all the leg work and copied my songs from my CDs to my flash drive just like I wanted - no folders at all - with just a list of song titles as performed by the singer, who is also named.

I just don't know if this flash drive setup will work:shrug: with my Entune player. Any thought?

FredSG

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The MP3 player system depends on the files having appropriate tags for artist, album, track title, artwork, etc. If your ripping software does not do correct tagging you'll likely be unhappy with the results. It won't really matter if there are folders or not, but I find that random playback seems better without folders.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If you don't need Folders, playing mp3 from USB on Entune will work well for you.
When you get your car, please post you player number on the front and the firmware (Settings/Update...) if you don't mind.

·
Registered
644 Posts
USB tip: you can plug up to 2 USB thumb drives via a USB Hub. You should see 2 source icons on display named as Thumb Drive Volume name.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a USB flash drive with about 3200 songs on it that I had already created using the default (low quality) software that came free with my Kenwood audio unit (different car). I just copied all the files from that one flash drive to the other and it worked fine. I did find it was very slow to load all the songs the first time but it is now faster. It seems to randomly hold the list sometimes and other times it takes longer to load after a shut down or start up. Not sure why. I guess it must hold them at least somewhat in memory after the first time. It does default to "Album" so if you like to listen to random songs you will need to go into the "Browse" screen and sort by songs rather than by album. At least that's what I found.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Regarding the metadata referenced above...

I create my MP3 files and then add the album covers to each file. The artist and album names are written when the files are created.

Entune, as I've been told by the folks at Toyota, does not use the metadata information in the files. It uses Grace Note. I think this should be changed to use the information in the MP3 file and, if not there, then (and only then) look at Grace Note. I find it hard to believe that the Grace Note database has every file and album (my MP3 files are complete albums).

If we could get all the owners to call and complain, they might make the necessary changes to make the system better.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I asked Toyota about improving or fixing Entune.
Basically, they can fix what does not work by initial specs. They will not add any other feature in existing radios. In the future cars maybe.
For example: if the user manual does not specify playing mp3 files by folders, Toyota will not add this feature.
Only the solution is to buy a new car or replace the factory radio with aftermarket.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
RAV 4 USB

Hello,

I will be picking up my 2017 RAV4 Liberty a week from today. I've been trying to move my country music songs (MP3s) from my CDs to a flash drive (FAT32 format). Using Windows Media Player, I was getting folders, and sub-folders on my flash drive. I WAS HOPING to get my songs to appear by title in a list without any folders.

I found a software program online called - Express Rip Power Edition from NCH Software. It does all the leg work and copied my songs from my CDs to my flash drive just like I wanted - no folders at all - with just a list of song titles as performed by the singer, who is also named.

I just don't know if this flash drive setup will work:shrug: with my Entune player. Any thought?

FredSG

HI I have 2017 RAV 4 LIMITED with a Entune with maps but no cd. I have been working with Wesley chapel Toyota. I have proved to them that all there rave 4 with Entune have a problem. Toyota have bee telling dealers to tell customer to buy an IPOD. I bought a car not there IPOD .It has gone up to TIS in Texas to there tier 3 techs. Here is the problem lets say you know how to put the id3 info in correctly and use the windows media player to put your album cover on by going to library and right clicking on the song and pasting the cover on. You have to be playing a different song to do this. When you go to pick usb and it recognize the stick and you can hit the arrow to change the music about 4 times and it will change and then it will read 1/1 and it will keep playing the same song. Go to browse and lets say you have 50 songs it will show the 50 songs and you can pick them there but it will show still one to one. There is a way around this but Toyota is taking a stand not to fix this problem. There attitude they all do this so this must be how it works. OH but my 2017 TRD 4x4 off road with the same radio with cd but that doesn't make a difference it works and shows all music and changes. Wesley director of operations walked the parking lot and checked all there RAV 4 they all did it. GOOD LUCK I HOPE YOURS WORK HERE IN FL THEY DO NOT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Try this, it might help... cheers

FIRST, Very important, make sure in your USB drive, there is no other file except MP3 files, sometimes other files like album art, txt intro file, etc. may get in there with the MP3, so carefully check every folder to make sure only MP3 files are there.

SECOND: Make sure your MP3 ID3 tag has only Tittle and Album in it, delete all other information like artist, track, year and so on. We can do this later when we create "Folders".

For now I don't know what caused the problem, let's just keep the file format to MP3 only and the ID3 as simple as possible.

How to play MP3 in "folder"

The idea is simple, Entunes use the Artist, Album or Genre information in MP3 ID3 tags to sort the songs, So put the songs you want to listen together in a folder, then use "MP3tag" software to change the Album information of ID3 tags of all those mp3s with same name (I just use the folder name to replace the Album name). Then in Entune, sort your song by Album.

For less experienced PC user:

1. Put your MP3s in different folders,

2. Use the "MP3tag" software (Free for download, Google it) Drag all MP3s in that fold to the MP3tag software.

3. Choose all the MP3 files in the MP3tag software, on the left side, choose all tags except Tittle and Album to "blank"

4. Keep all the MP3 files selected in MP3tag. Now, name the Album as same as the folder name you placed your MP3 files.

5. Click the save button on upper left side. If you are doing this to the files on the USB drive, it may take a while. I suggest doing this to the files on the computer

6. then copy the folder to the USB drive.

7. In Entune USB screen, just click the sort by Album then you can listen music by "Folder"

Tag Editor Features

Add or edit tag metadata, including genre, title, artist, album, year, track number and more
Add your own comments to a music file
Edit wav, mp3 and ogg music file metadata
Play files before editing file information
Supports multiple file editing
Clear all tag information on multiple files in one step
Easy and intuitive to use
Edited ID3 tags are compatible with iPods, iPhone and Android devices
View the music metadata in iTunes, Google Play or audio editors, such as, Wave-pad

·
Registered
644 Posts
You don't need any folder structure....you only need this:
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Tag everything up with the above tool and Entune will work with it perfectly.
Any cheap Pioneer headunit will do the mp3 job better than Entune.
Even 2018 models cannot do the folders.
No Folder Play, No Apple Car, No Androuid Auto in 2018 RAV4.

Nokia was ignoring smartphones and go out of business.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't understand any advantage to a folder structure with MP3 files. Mp3 files have tags embedded for the purpose of sorting by Artist, Genre, Album, or Song title. What more could you want a player to do?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't understand any advantage to a folder structure with MP3 files. Mp3 files have tags embedded for the purpose of sorting by Artist, Genre, Album, or Song title. What more could you want a player to do?
I have been using a program called Tagscanner to do the tagging job and it works great. I have about 4000 songs loaded and can listen to them by any one of the 4 categories. I have two 32GB USB sticks for music. One for the 2016 RAV with all the music tagged and loaded in Root. The other stick is for my Honda, and all the music there is loaded in folders and the Honda can get to all the music in each folder. Also on the Honda drive are Audio Books, which we listen to on road trips. Yesterday, I was going on a day trip with the RAV and decided to put the Honda stick with the Audio books in folders, into the RAV. For some reason it could not see one of the folders that has a book I wanted to listen to. The folder would never show up in the RAV, but I should have been able to view the book via either its Artists (Authors) name, Album name, Genre of the book, or name of one of the Songs (chapters). It just was not visible. It makes me wonder what other songs are not showing up on the RAV stick. With all of 4000 loaded into Root and then indexed it would be hard to say for sure they are all available for use. I just accidentally stumbled on this situation and really don’t know if there is other mis-indexing going on.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Tagscanner looks like a winner. I'm downloading it now. Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is a quick update on not finding a book that was loaded on the USB drive. I could not find a certain Audio book. It was not in Albums or songs. I finally found the book by looking in Genre. When I found it via Genre, it said the book was in Unidentified Albums. I looked in Unidentified Albums and it was not there. The name of the book is The Burning Room – nothing unique. My point is that if you load thousands of songs with Album names tagged properly, you may never know that a certain album is not available for play. It may be that if the album names are left as is-whatever the original name was, that if might not be indexed properly. If you change all the album names to some Folder name, it might index all the names properly. There is really no good way to check that indexing is working properly.
I wonder if Entune 3.0 is any better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been using a program called Tagscanner to do the tagging job and it works great. I have about 4000 songs loaded and can listen to them by any one of the 4 categories. I have two 32GB USB sticks for music. One for the 2016 RAV with all the music tagged and loaded in Root. The other stick is for my Honda, and all the music there is loaded in folders and the Honda can get to all the music in each folder. Also on the Honda drive are Audio Books, which we listen to on road trips. Yesterday, I was going on a day trip with the RAV and decided to put the Honda stick with the Audio books in folders, into the RAV. For some reason it could not see one of the folders that has a book I wanted to listen to. The folder would never show up in the RAV, but I should have been able to view the book via either its Artists (Authors) name, Album name, Genre of the book, or name of one of the Songs (chapters). It just was not visible. It makes me wonder what other songs are not showing up on the RAV stick. With all of 4000 loaded into Root and then indexed it would be hard to say for sure they are all available for use. I just accidentally stumbled on this situation and really don’t know if there is other mis-indexing going on.

It's not hard AT ALL to tell with the 2018 RV4 Entune unit to tell if all tracks have been indexed. I have 400 tracks on a flash drive. I have all these tracks in the root of the flash drive. I listen to them on RANDOM. I have them arranged in Entune by SONG. When it starts playing the tracks....underneath the album art, directly under the Artist name and Album name for the selected track it will say something like 1 of 400. If all tracks were not being indexed the total number would be less than 400. EASY and effective. Entune understands the industry standard MP3 tags. This is all you need

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's not hard AT ALL to tell with the 2018 RV4 Entune unit to tell if all tracks have been indexed. I have 400 tracks on a flash drive. I have all these tracks in the root of the flash drive. I listen to them on RANDOM. I have them arranged in Entune by SONG. When it starts playing the tracks....underneath the album art, directly under the Artist name and Album name for the selected track it will say something like 1 of 400. If all tracks were not being indexed the total number would be less than 400. EASY and effective. Entune understands the industry standard MP3 tags. This is all you need
Easy to say, but I think if you read my post (8/28) regarding a book I could not find, you will agree that there is a problem. I am sure that if I had looked at the song count, if might have been correct. My problem was that I could not see the contents of the album in Songs or Albums. I found it in Genre, but it should have been indexed to Albums and Artist too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts