Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got a 98 Rav4: 4 door, awd, v4 2L.
My car has been throwing CEL at me for months now and I could use some help.

A few days ago I made a 700 mile drive, about half way through the CEL started blinking, which it's never done before.
Eventually after half an hour the CEL stopped blinking and stayed on and I got code P1310-- Ignition system malfunction (#2 igniter circuit fault).
The car wasn't experiencing any performance issues, that I could feel, so I wiped the code.

Eventually it started blinking again and the engine died.
I reset it. Half an hour later, I got codes P1310 and P1300-- Ignition system malfunction (#1 igniter circuit fault).
Reset it again.
CEL blinking returned later. Car entered limp mode, and started stuttering. Checked it again and got both the above codes and P0300-- Multiple cylinder misfire detected.
I reset it again, drove the last 100 miles without issue--- I turned the A/C off thinking it was a load issue.
I'm thinking I need to swap out the coils or changer the igniters.

However... in the past I've got P0110--- Intake air temp sensor/circuit fault; P0120-- Throttle position sensor/circuit fault and P1133-- Air/fuel ratio sensor or circuit fault. I've never fixed those issues, just wiped the codes and they never came back.
I don't think all the sensors are bad. I know someone has played around with the wiring in my car. The harness from the battery has been opened and some wires have been spliced in.

Not sure what to do. I have to drive 1200 miles in a week and I don't want it to die on me.

Suggestions???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like you may have some grounding or supply side (+) issues. Tough to track down. And you might have a bad coil as well. I've had those types of coils go bad on me on a Camry and a Rolla. They are not infallible.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The igniters and the sensors that are intermittently failing, all ground to a single point on top of the head. Making sure those ground wires are clean, bright and tight, is a good first step in looking for these problems.

The CEL flashing during the P0300 errors, is a warning that current driving conditions could seriously over-heat the catalyst.
If the P1300 or 1310 get bad enough, they can shutdown the fuel pump.

Reactions: eodgator
1 - 3 of 3 Posts