Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
About a week ago my CEL, VSC, and 4WD lights came on in my 2007 Rav4. It happened within 1-2 miles after gassing up so I assumed it was the gas cap. I then proceeded to tighten the gas cap but the lights stayed on. I plugged in my OBD sensor and was given a p0606 error code, which is for a faulty ECM. I then proceeded to reset the ECM and the error codes went away. I also spoke to a mechanic friend who mentioned he had seen this code before with a DIY aftermarket radio, so I proceeded to rewire the radio just in case that was the issue; I did end up finding one wire connection that had come loose so I figured this was the issue. After 155 miles, no lights came on and I felt the problem was resolved. In case it is important, I drove around 30 miles with the lights on originally (had to get to work still).

However, I gassed up again today and the same lights came back on, this time with two codes: p0606 and p0138 (O2 sensor). I know I tightened the gas cap all the way, so I am now thinking the issue must be with the gas cap itself. Seems like it cannot be a coincidence that it happened after I gassed up both times and so right now, I am planning on replacing the gas cap.

I also searched through the thread from JuneBug about CEL, VSC, and 4WD lights, but could not find a similar issue to mine. I would post the link here but the site will not let me given that this is my first post.

I wanted to get people’s opinions on the situation before I go ahead and replace the gas cap. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
About a week ago my CEL, VSC, and 4WD lights came on in my 2007 Rav4. It happened within 1-2 miles after gassing up so I assumed it was the gas cap. I then proceeded to tighten the gas cap but the lights stayed on. I plugged in my OBD sensor and was given a p0606 error code, which is for a faulty ECM. I then proceeded to reset the ECM and the error codes went away. I also spoke to a mechanic friend who mentioned he had seen this code before with a DIY aftermarket radio, so I proceeded to rewire the radio just in case that was the issue; I did end up finding one wire connection that had come loose so I figured this was the issue. After 155 miles, no lights came on and I felt the problem was resolved. In case it is important, I drove around 30 miles with the lights on originally (had to get to work still).
However, I gassed up again today and the same lights came back on, this time with two codes: p0606 and p0138 (O2 sensor). I know I tightened the gas cap all the way, so I am now thinking the issue must be with the gas cap itself. Seems like it cannot be a coincidence that it happened after I gassed up both times and so right now, I am planning on replacing the gas cap.
I also searched through the thread from JuneBug about CEL, VSC, and 4WD lights, but could not find a similar issue to mine. I would post the link here but the site will not let me given that this is my first post.
I wanted to get people’s opinions on the situation before I go ahead and replace the gas cap. Please let me know what you think.
I think I'd try replacing the gas cap as you say, but I would only buy an OEM cap from Toyota. Make sure the seating surface of the cap where it seals against the filler tube looks ok.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts