Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to share this. My 2004 Rav4 has ~170K miles and lately CEL/VSC been coming on, like once per tankful of gas. It was throwing a P0456 code, small leak in evap system. I bought a new Toyota gas cap - no help. Checked all the lines for any gross hose splits - nothing. Threw in the towel and took it some top notch guys nearby and they did the smoke test. Told me it had a leak in the filler neck. It's a weird looking part comprised on 4 lines (all bundled together) from the filler neck down to the tank.
I was talking to the mechanic and speculating this small air leak in the fuel would prevent the system from pressurizing, making the in tank fuel pump work hard and possibly impacting fuel mileage by 2-3 MPG. It has been lower than normal so I'm hoping this will bring the ole girl back into shape. :smile

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
A friend of mine was just here yesterday with the same issue, an EVAP code and CE light due to a filler pipe leak. Guess it's to be expected on his 1997 Accord.
Interesting: we reset the code which gave us 4 incomplete monitors but 3 of them had cleared by the time he got to the Emission Test and it PASSED! since the CE hadn't come back on yet and his car was allowed one incomplete monitor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts