Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CEL, VSC, Trac Contrl, P0606 HELP!

So my wife's 06 RAV4 V6 with 160k mi through the infamous Xmas tree of lights. No surprise since this has happened 3 or 4 times before due to faulty ignition coils. But this time the code was different. I researched the P0606 code and found that it could be a number of things which led me to this post. My code reader took a snap shot of what was going on at the time of the code. Hopefully someone can make sense of it all and steer me in the right direction. I'm leaning towards replacing the O2 sensor(s) to start because they are original. The car is driving fine otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

PS- how do you post more than one pic? Will only allow me to upload one.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone tell me the correct voltage reading the O2 sensors are supposed to operate at? My code reader took a frame shot of what was going on at the time the DTC was thrown and I would like to pinpoint which sensor, if any, might be bad. Here is a pic of one of the readings.
Thanks ImageUploadedByAG Free1464218124.118623.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
731 Posts
I found this :

Check engine lamp, VSC lamp Slip indicator lamp. Codes P0606 stored in the Engine Control Module.

Noise from an oxygen sensor could cause this code.

Replaced Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Bank 1 Sensor 2 (B1S2)

Without having the vehicle here and testing it, this is only a guess.

If you decide to replace the sensor, please use only DENSO since that is OEM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Fixit. I am planning on buying the Denso off Amazon.
I'm just wondering how the dealer can tell which O2 sensor is bad if one is faulty. It seems the B1S2 tends to be the culprit most of the time. I guess I could start there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took out the stoplight switch and took it apart dice I found a C1249 and C1223 codes along with the P0606. Added some electric grease and reinstalled. I also erased completely this time all the codes. I had about 5 days of no codes and car running fine. Until this morning the usual lights lit up on dash.

So I guess I'll start with the O2 sensor and maybe a new stoplamp switch.

Any advice on how to tell which O2 sensor is bad if it is bad?
Thanks
Darren

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update. I changed out the stoplamp switch but CELs came back on. I then replaced the original O2 sensor, I think it was B2S2 and rest all codes. Lights have been off for 4 days and it passed CA smog today. So it appears in my case that the P0606 code was triggered by a faulty O2 sensor. Hope this may help others.
Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts