Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
List your current/previous cell phones and carriers, and what you think about them (customer experience, service/reception, etc).

I just went from AT&T/Cingular to Nextel (because of the better reception where I live) and got a Motorola i530. I haven't had Nextel long enough to do a true evaluation, but it has been good so far. The Motorola i530 is bulky but solid, and it's ok for the time being until I have money to upgrade when the new Nextels come out later in the year.

In the past I've had US Cellular (Nokia 5165), AT&T/Cingular GSM (Motorola t120 & Nokia 6200), and Verizon Wireless (LG Vx6000).

US Cellular and Verizon were good, AT&T/Cingular was horrible. There really isn't any carrier that is better than the others (same for the phones), because it depends on the particular area that you live.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ricky and I both have Cingular and have for years. In SE Wisconsin they have the best coverage.

BUT, in the U.S., ALL carriers have DISMAL coverage on the GSM network. The U.S. hasn't caught up with the rest of the world apparently. My understanding is that GSM is fully supported in most other parts of the world, and if the GSM map of Puerto Rico is any indication, my understanding is correct. Check out Cingular's GSM map...PR is the only place where the coverage is virtually 100%.

I have a cell phone so I can make calls ANYWHERE. That's why I refuse to use GSM. I still have a TDMA/GAIT/Digital (whatever it's properly called) phone. Cingular doesn't even offer the service on their website, you have to call them to get it, and they don't sell any TDMA/GAIT/Digital phones. Other providers do make it more readily available. I'll switch to GSM when it offers the same virtually 100% coverage I get with my Digital phone. Until then they can forget it...I'm not paying the same monthly fee just for the privilege of not being able to make a call in something like 50% of the country.

Becky

O

·
0 Posts
GSM is virtually universal here in Europe. I use a Nokia 6230, and find it a very good little phone, Nokia is always my first choice mainly due to their long battery life of around 3-5 days depending on use. Two of our vehicles are fitted with Nokia CK 7W bluetooth hands free kit, and they work fine, but I think that I shall fit the optional pop port connector to the van, so that I dont have to remember to charge the phone.
My sevice provider is O2 which I find to be the best option and price for me, and I always get a new phone free every year which is good, because they do have a hard life.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I have been told, if you live here in the states and you want a cell phone and carrier that will work easily when travelling internationally (Europe in particular) the best one to get is T-Mobile, after all it is a European company. For those of us in the states, T-Mobile is what used to be Voicestream which used to be Western Wireless and so on.

The best carrier in the USA if you do a lot of traveling thoughout the country is Verizon Wireless, although these days every company has national plans and pretty much all use the same towers across the country thanks to roaming agreements. If you tend to spend most of your time in your local area, as I said before, the best carrier to get is the one with the best service in your area.

On another note, I always assumed GM's OnStar worked using satellites (like a satellite phone) however that is not correct, as I found out today. I always thought the name "OnStar" implied that it used satellites; well it does, to a lesser extent than I thought. GM owns OnStar and also licenses it to other automakers, so maybe OnStar will appear in Toyotas soon, since it is the well-established/predominant vehicle communications system here in the USA.

OnStar uses both GPS and cellular technologies; it uses the GPS satellites to determine where you are, and the cellular network for communication with the OnStar system. With respect to cellular communications, OnStar initially only used AMPS (analog, the old/original system here in the USA) for communications, because AMPS still has greater coverage than digital (CDMA/TDMA/PCS/GSM) across the country. However the newer versions of OnStar in recent years use both AMPS and digital depending on what is available in a particular location. The FCC mandate on AMPS service only lasts until 2008, so when 2008 gets here the wireless companies will begin disontinuing AMPS service, thus the need for OnStar to shift to digital networks.

I should add that Verizon Wireless owns the largest cellular network in the USA (both AMPS and digital) so OnStar has a contract with VZW to use their network for both analog and digital versions of OnStar throughout the country.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have two carriers. My first one was and still is Cingular. I mainly kept that carrier cause I can use it anywhere in the US. My main phone though is a local carrier called Metro PCS. They have coverage mostly only in the Cal bay area so if I go outside the bay area like say down to LA I have no coverage which is why I kept the Cingular phone. The reason why I use Metro is because they have no limits to calling anywhere in the continental US with their $40 a month plan. Makes it easier to chat to friends or family in other states and not have to worry about calling minutes.

T

·
0 Posts
I use 'Vodaphone' for my Sharp GSX10i
down here :D

I have Vodaphone prepaid as every now and again 'Vodaphone'
will double the credit and the rates are so reasonable
I have not topped up since Jan 04 still have $70.00
left on it...no need for monthly bills, suits my
lifestyle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts