Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the new 3D tour and noticed that the aux jack is located in the center console along with the 12V outlet. What I couldn't tell was whether or not if an MP3 player can be outside the console and be plugged in. By the animation, it looks like the top of the console would close on top of any wires. (Does this make sense?)

If this is the case, Toyota needs to make some kind of modification because mose people I know with MP3 players (iPod for me :D) will want access to the player.

B

·
0 Posts
In one of the ads on Toyota's website it says there's a jack for you to hook up an MP3 player--Major selling point for me, since I don't even listen to CDs anymore. I take my iPod and my p.o.s. radio transmitter with me everytime I go out. Its really not hard to find a cable to hook it up in there. Radioshack should have some good ones. I'd tell you which ones, but i'd rather see where you hook it up, because it might be an RCA cable or just one that looks like you'd use for headphones.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bzktnkorn5, it isn't about what cable to use but the fact that the aux input is inside the compartment of the center console. If the iPod stays outside of the console, the top of the console will close on the wire. If you check out the 3D tour on Toyota's site, you'll know what I mean.

R

·
0 Posts
putt putt

Check out the link to the Canadian Driver "First Drive"....in one of the pics, you can see a white cable coming out of the centre console (where the aux in jack is) to what looks like an ipod in what Toyota refers to as the cell phone holder. There is probably a certain amount of clearance so that when the centre console is closed, there's enough space for the wires or cables to pass through.
In fact, here's a link direct to the picture.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/06rav4.htm
(the pic link didn't work, so this link goes to the article itself...just scoll down & click on the pic of the centre console to enlarge it)
It looks like the tester may have removed his ipod while the pics were being shot, as the cable goes into the cell phone holder space but unless his ipod is incredibly small, you can't see it from this angle.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rav4enous

Awesome! That's exactly what I was hoping to find! In the 3D, I just couldn't tell if there was some kind of small opening that the wire/cable can come through or not but the picture from your link certainly gives that impression.

I was hoping this was the case since it didn't really make sense that Toyota would overlook this small little detail when it seems it put a lot of thought into everything else.

Thank you!

R

·
0 Posts
Also, since there is a power outlet beside the aux in jack, it would make sense that you could run the cable out to your cell phone if you're using the cell phone slot for that purpose. It's a good position for both the power and aux in jacks inside the console, however, if you don't need constant access to your ipod & want to keep it hidden.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still Can't Tell

Unfortunately, I didn't have my iPod with me when I test drove the car (argh, what was I thinking?). I looked at the center console very closely and I still cannot say for certain that the cables were meant to come through from the inside. There seems to be a small gap on each side of the lever to release the top but when I looked at it, I couldn't see any gaps where the cable can come through.

I plan on test driving another one at another dealership in the next few weeks so I'll try not to forget the iPod again. :roll:

E

·
0 Posts
Good question. I was also wondering that also. The connector in the console looks like a mini 3.5mm jack . Does the cable come with the Rav or do you have to purchase it seperately.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
etop said:
Does the cable come with the RAV or do you have to purchase it seperately.
I don't believe the cable comes with it. I heard today that Honda was planning on offering a cable option for MP3 players that would be installed as part of the car. But it'll cost a pretty penny. Don't really know the details.

E

·
0 Posts
My thoughts are that I will need a cable with two male ends to play my Ipod. The Ipod output would come out of the earphone jack and go into the jack in the console. I hope this is correct.

B

·
0 Posts
etop said:
My thoughts are that I will need a cable with two male ends to play my Ipod. The Ipod output would come out of the earphone jack and go into the jack in the console. I hope this is correct.
I just drove a rented 2006 Sienna for two weeks. It has a 3.5mm aux input jack on the dash. I would guess that the RAV4 is the same.

I think I paid about $5 for a suitable cable at Target.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Buzz said:
I just drove a rented 2006 Sienna for two weeks. It has a 3.5mm aux input jack on the dash. I would guess that the RAV4 is the same.
Actually, the aux jack is in the center console. I don't know if there's a secondary aux jack on the dash but I haven't read anything about it or saw one when I test drove one.

E

·
0 Posts
The Limited I drove today had the power and Audio hookup in the console. Problem for me also will be using these and having the cables coming out under the lid. The outlet on the dash is used for my GPS power cable.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did the Limited you test drove have the JBL or the stock? The one I test drove just had the stock so it could be that model doesn't have an aux jack? I'll have to look at Toyota's 3D tour again to see if I can tell which stereo it was.

Thanks for the info.

B

·
0 Posts
puttputt said:
Actually, the aux jack is in the center console. I don't know if there's a secondary aux jack on the dash but I haven't read anything about it or saw one when I test drove one.
Sorry... I wasn't clear. I meant the same circuitry. I realize that the mounting point is different in the RAV4.

E

·
0 Posts
Did the Limited you test drove have the JBL or the stock? The one I test drove just had the stock so it could be that model doesn't have an aux jack? I'll have to look at Toyota's 3D tour again to see if I can tell which stereo it was.

The one I drove was the Limited but according to the brochure, all three models have the aux jack.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
The AUX jack is in the center console storage area behind the parking brake handle.

There is no jack input on the stereo face.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts