Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 2016, there's that odd A/C vent up in the upper dash. The manual says its for the rear seats. There's a wheel on the left side to open or close that. The thing is, mine only open the left 1/2 of the vent and the right 1/2 is blocked. Anyone know what this is about? Seems like the whole thing should open or why even have it be that wide? :confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
That's how they designed it.
It apparently looks better being wider, but the wider opening would reduce the velocity so the air would not reach the rear seat area.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty weird, since the air vent is off center and blowing over the driver's head, instead of up the middle to the back seat. Having it centered, regardless of its size, would do a better job.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
It was probably designed to be the full width.
Then it was probably discovered not to "reach" the rear, and at the same time, someone suggested adding the control to adjust it.
Production dash molds were probably done... not going to spent $40,000 to remake them and put production behind by 3 months.

Cheaper to block half than move it to the middle, so we got the half closest to the control.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would have liked to see adjustable vents or vent on the back side of center console. Heck, my 2002 Ford Taurus had them.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have liked to see adjustable vents or vent on the back side of center console. Heck, my 2002 Ford Taurus had them.
There are vents under the front seats, but they are only active with floor mode.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Toyota is trying to keep the cost down on these vehicles, so some features you might like are not going to be there because of cost considerations.

If you want the AC vents and controls behind the center console, buy a Highlander.

I wish there was a "Homelink" system, but there isn't, and since I already own one Highlander I didn't feel the need to drop an additional 10 grand to get another one...

Oh I wish I had heated leather seats too, but again it adds a lot of money to the cost.

it is a compromise

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I wish there was a "Homelink" system, but there isn't, and since I already own one Highlander I didn't feel the need to drop an additional 10 grand to get another one...\
Homelink is a $200 solution, plus it gets you an auto-dimming mirror.
If you have a sunroof, power is available right there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 2013 and only noticed the false right side of that vent the other day. lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, there is a vent under the driver's seat only. And yes, it is only active in "floor" mode. I have a '16 Ltd. For $35,000 it should have better rear vents.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a Limited and don't need a Highlander. The limiteds come with heated seats and homelink. ;) At a list price of just under $35,000 I don't call that cost cutting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
New here.

I just joined this forum to find the answer to this question!

We just bought our RAV4 yesterday and I thought we had a defective vent. It's nice to see that while this is a strange design, it is normal for this car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
2015 Limited is the same design. On a late night drive home the other evening, I had shut all the vents and wondered why I was still feeling cool, fresh air on my face. Yup, that wonderful center "rear passenger" vent. It should be more accurately called the "driver's forehead vent".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts