Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rav4 prime and it's pretty simple: I want to put the biggest tires possible on it. After a couple hours scrolling this website, it seems as though there still isn't a single clearinghouse thread with this information. am I missing it somewhere? you'd think there would be one, given the number of folks asking this same question...
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You have yet to fully define the requirements. SE or XSE? (different rim size). Do you "really" want the biggest tires possible? (i.e. list kit, fender trim, etc.) or just the biggest ones that fit without modifications? Do need room for snow chains? Is "wide" part of "biggest" or do you just mean diameter?.

Most of the threads asking this question get a "245/60/R18" answer unless they want to switch to 17" rims or have the XSE with 19"

Edit: But don't go by me I didn't do any searching - I am just going from memory and my memory these days is fading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for asking, I didn't know if that stuff would matter.
I'd like 16" wheels to maximize rubber. 17" max.
XSE 2021
Not sure what a list kit is, but I don't want to trim anything at this point. I'm happy to do a lift if necessary. no snow chains. not worried about widest, no.
I failed to mention that I'll be buying new wheels, too.

thanks for asking me to clarify!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would stay away from 16s myself. I have heard some people say they clear the calipers but it can't leave much room and that's asking for trouble in my book.
If you are willing to lift then you will have to go through the lift threads unless somebody is nice enough to summarize and post here 245/65R17 are posted often but there may be taller options for lifted rigs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
copy that, 17's it is then, no problem.
245/65/17 is what I saw the most on that aftermarket wheels and tires thread, though I saw some 235/70/16 as well.
no worries, was just curious if there's a summary somewhere (in the sprinter world, we have this, and thought maybe it existed for the rav4 world, too: https://vancompass.com/pages/frequently-asked-questions)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Dozens of us--if not hundreds by now--are running 16s. I have run two different sets of 16" rims, with 3 different tire sizes, for tens of thousands of miles, with no issues.

I have not seen a single report of 16s causing any issues, so I have no idea where that info came from.

To the OP, generally speaking, any 30" tire will fit with no lift or trimming as long as you don't have mud flaps, and keep the offset between around +25 to +35.

Use this website to compare tire sizes and relative offsets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's a great summary and I really appreciate you adding this. I wish tires were sized in inches as easily as you make it sound, hah!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
that's a great summary and I really appreciate you adding this. I wish tires were sized in inches as easily as you make it sound, hah!
Yes. A single tire label literally uses Width in millimeters, sidewall height as a percentage, and wheel diameter in inches. It is truly among the dumbest numerical standards ever adopted. Almost as dumb as us using the length of some random king's foot to forever define all of our distance measurements............

Anyways, fortunately, that website will quickly translate tire sizes into inches, and allow you to compare stock to any hypothetical aftermarket choice.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just curious but the OP said R4P (I have the SE). I have seen reports that the R4P calipers are larger than the other models (makes sense with a heavier car) and also some discussion that there are two different size calipers on the 2021 R4P. Any truth to either of those reports?

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
671 Posts
Does the R4P use regenerative braking like the hybrids? If so, why would it need bigger calipers than the gas models?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes and I'm not sure but perhaps they designed the friction brakes to be able to stop the car without help of the regenerative brakes? Otherwise, I would think the friction brakes could be quite small and therefore much cheaper and wear only twice as long as the gas version brakes?

Edit: I would think that there must be some system to either completely release the regenerative brakes or dissipate the energy they produce to avoid overcharging when the batteries are at their "limit" charge state.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have no idea how accurate this is but the following thread indicates that the R4P has brakes with a larger diameter than the R4 gas or hybrid.

RAV4 Hybrid LE, XLE, XSE, Limited
Power-assisted ventilated 12.0-in. front disc brakes; ventilated 11.1-in. rear disc brakes

RAV4 Prime SE and XSE
Power-assisted ventilated 12.9-in. front disc brakes; 12.5-in. ventilated rear disc brakes with Star Safety System™

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
671 Posts
I have no idea how accurate this is but the following thread indicates that the R4P has brakes with a larger diameter than the R4 gas or hybrid.

RAV4 Hybrid LE, XLE, XSE, Limited
Power-assisted ventilated 12.0-in. front disc brakes; ventilated 11.1-in. rear disc brakes

RAV4 Prime SE and XSE
Power-assisted ventilated 12.9-in. front disc brakes; 12.5-in. ventilated rear disc brakes with Star Safety System™
Probably the Prime needs the bigger brakes because the standard size used in the hybrids are simply not enough to drag down and tame the 302 HP beast even with regenerative braking when it is going hammer and tongs flat out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts