Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my brakes and saw on the net the other day about Ceramic pads. Supposed to be better performance, better wear, less heat etc. TWICE THE PRICE!

Does anyone have any tips on good pads or bad pads? I'll be sticking with new stock rotors so nothing too extreme.

There are many compositions of pads and I have always just stuck with the "Semi-Metalic". They were pretty standard on most vehicles that I've owned so I stuck with what was there.

I would buy something longer lasting but I think there may be a trade-off with stopping power and brake feel.

I'll keep doing some research but I have to get them in the next week or so.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found this on TireRack.com about ceramic pads. The OE brakes were they ceramic or other?
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Rav4+4wd&autoYear

CLICK ON BRAKES IN TOP LEFT CORNER!!!!

Getting my new brake rotors and pads later this week so I should be able to stop now. Coming off the ramp on the highway it feels like I'm trying to stop a 747 on a short runway. Vibration, Vibration, Vibration!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its great we're back up! What happened anyway? I though you guys just didn't want to talk to me anymore.

I replaced my brakes and now stopping is smooth and controlled. Amazing what a good set of brakes can do.

Full ceramic pad. New rotors. Stops GREAT! Apparently our RAV's come with ceramic pads. At least mine did. Better wear less dust no break-in period Zero sqweel. Did it myself it was a piece of cake.

Recommend to all to check your brakes and replace before they get as bad as mine did. Thanks. M.

·
Registered
682 Posts
dont think ravs came with ceramic pads. and if you had vibrations when braking that would be due to rotor warpage.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't buy mine new! Mine had ceramic on it installed at Toyota (I have the work order) and yes my rotors were extremely warped. I believe they were resurfaced and were the OE rotors. 74000KMs on them. The pads however were only worn 50%. Maybe from the factory they are not ceramic but any parts dealer including Toyota will recommend them as a replacement. Worth every pennie.

No car is worth buying new. Save your $$$$ and get one slighly used and let the first person take the biggest hit for the initial depretiation. As long as you can trace its history and get it from a reputable dealer. I got mine from a Toyota dealership with the full maintenance history provided. Slightly used back off lease. One of those "old lady driven" vehicles.

Anyway new brakes kik a$$!!! Easy DYI. Save your money everyone and try it when you need to replace. M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts