Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My Prime is coming in 3 weeks. Is it worth getting a ceramic coating on it? I have never had this done to any of my vehicles before. I’m getting the Super Sonic Red XSE.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Depends on how long you're planning on keeping it and what you're planning on doing with your car. For me I did not get the PPF front end because I hate the partial discoloration look cars get over the years where the front looks fresh but the body has clear signs of sun damage.

Ceramic coating on the whole car is a nice and generally cheaper option. I ended up doing some research and applied my own ceramic coating then follow it up with a Turtle Wax ceramic hybrid spray every time I wash my car (every 2-3 weeks). So far so good.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I prefer TurtleWax ICE Seal N Shine. Don’t be fooled by the price, it’s a great product that’ll make water bead on your car for at least 3 months (depending on exposure of course).

Ceramic coatings are great but I believe they require some maintenance to ensure longevity. It also won’t provide protection from rock chips and such, you’ll need a film for that.

·
Registered
Prime XSE Premium, Venza Limited
489 Posts
I still say come out of the dark ages and get a high quality ceramic applied. Anything called ceramic that is in a spray bottle does not compare to a product that is a liquid application. If you stick to a reputable product such as Gtechniq which is my favorite you will get years of protection with minimal upkeep. As far as PPF again stick to a quality product like Xpel. Just sold a car after nine years that had Xpel and there was no discoloration or any other issues.
Having said all that I'll admit that I go the extra mile as far as paint protection and enjoy washing and detailing my cars. I do not use an automatic wash that uses brushes or pads that contact the paint. It's all a matter of degrees and what you're into.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Lol, dark ages 😂 it all depends on your budget and effort you’re willing to expend. I’m ok applying sprays and waxes more often to save money vs a larger upfront but longer lasting ceramic coat. That’s really what it boils down to. And as suggested, avoiding car washes and doing a proper 2-bucket wash is still essential. My 2013 CX-5s paint is in like new condition with no swirl marks, but it takes extra time and effort :D

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium AWD
268 Posts
Hi. My Prime is coming in 3 weeks. Is it worth getting a ceramic coating on it? I have never had this done to any of my vehicles before. I’m getting the Super Sonic Red XSE.
Is it worth spending close to $1,200 for someone to apply? No. Go buy some Mequairs or Turtle Wax Seal n Shine and do it yourself. There is no coating that will last for years. You still need to wash and take care of your paint.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You all are free to believe whatever you want to.
My last suggestion is to head over to the link and get the opinion of both the pros and amateurs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Is it worth spending close to $1,200 for someone to apply? No. Go buy some Mequairs or Turtle Wax Seal n Shine and do it yourself. There is no coating that will last for years. You still need to wash and take care of your paint.
I personally don’t think it’s worth the cost for somebody else to apply ($$$), but I did strongly consider a DIY ceramic coat. What I’m most upset by though over time are paint chips. When I realized PPF was the only thing that would prevent that it swayed me away from ceramic coating. I still didn’t get PPF though, paint chips are something I decided to live with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lol, dark ages 😂 it all depends on your budget and effort you’re willing to expend. I’m ok applying sprays and waxes more often to save money vs a larger upfront but longer lasting ceramic coat. That’s really what it boils down to. And as suggested, avoiding car washes and doing a proper 2-bucket wash is still essential. My 2013 CX-5s paint is in like new condition with no swirl marks, but it takes extra time and effort :D
Yeah after frequenting r/autodetailing for the last couple of years I've switched to mainly using ONR and a 2 bucket method. Never taking a car I care about through the automated carwash again, I'm even hesitant about touchless washes since I don't know the detergents they use.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I prefer TurtleWax ICE Seal N Shine. Don’t be fooled by the price, it’s a great product that’ll make water bead on your car for at least 3 months (depending on exposure of course).

Ceramic coatings are great but I believe they require some maintenance to ensure longevity. It also won’t provide protection from rock chips and such, you’ll need a film for that.
I used turtle wax hybrid ceramic and front end PF. From the utube vids I thought Maguires, Mothers and Turtle wax seemed to be the top 3 imo

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have done it (twice, actually) on my white XSE, and I know another gal on this forum who has done it on her supersonic Red XSE. I used AvalonKing's product, and she used CQuartz (not sure which version). I was quoted from several nearby vendors a couple thousand to do multiple coats of CQuartz on ours. And, I thought that was absurd. So, we just watched some YouTube videos and DIY'ed it. It was super simple to put on. We have no high marks or streaking with the AvalonKing product. The CQuartz seems like a really good product too. In the end, I paid like $110 for three bottles of the stuff. We went through half of that for two cars and two coats on one car.

I wouldn't sweat it. I mean, I've never done any sort of auto detailing in my life before, and even for me, I had no issues like some horror stories you read about online.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium AWD
268 Posts
I have done it (twice, actually) on my white XSE, and I know another gal on this forum who has done it on her supersonic Red XSE. I used AvalonKing's product, and she used CQuartz (not sure which version). I was quoted from several nearby vendors a couple thousand to do multiple coats of CQuartz on ours. And, I thought that was absurd. So, we just watched some YouTube videos and DIY'ed it. It was super simple to put on. We have no high marks or streaking with the AvalonKing product. The CQuartz seems like a really good product too. In the end, I paid like $110 for three bottles of the stuff. We went through half of that for two cars and two coats on one car.

I wouldn't sweat it. I mean, I've never done any sort of auto detailing in my life before, and even for me, I had no issues like some horror stories you read about online.
Today hot word is ceramic, couple of years it will be something else. Nothing lasts for years. I think people feel better about spending thousand(s) for some magic coating that they think will protect their paint from asteroids.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a ceramic coat on my last car which had a 6 year warranty and it is still looking good and beading water at almost 4 years. When I first took that car in to be done, it was 7 years old and they cleaned the heck out of it and did a lot of paint correction type stuff before applying the coatings. Looked so much better afterwards and totally worth the $300 or so that I paid on a special.

Am taking my 2 week old Prime in for the new Graphine ceramic coating tomorrow. They probably should charge me less as it should be way less work to do this to a new car, but I’m hoping for maximum preservation and protection of the new car paint. Latest and greatest Graphine is $500. I don’t doubt I could get the same stuff and try to do it myself, particularly on a new car, but I’d rather pay these guys that do it for a living than risk screwing something up.

Fingers crossed that the new stuff is even better...

·
Banned
236 Posts
I had a ceramic coat on my last car which had a 6 year warranty and it is still looking good and beading water at almost 4 years. When I first took that car in to be done, it was 7 years old and they cleaned the heck out of it and did a lot of paint correction type stuff before applying the coatings. Looked so much better afterwards and totally worth the $300 or so that I paid on a special.

Am taking my 2 week old Prime in for the new Graphine ceramic coating tomorrow. They probably should charge me less as it should be way less work to do this to a new car, but I’m hoping for maximum preservation and protection of the new car paint. Latest and greatest Graphine is $500. I don’t doubt I could get the same stuff and try to do it myself, particularly on a new car, but I’d rather pay these guys that do it for a living than risk screwing something up.

Fingers crossed that the new stuff is even better...
A fool and their money are soon parted. None of these coatings last for years. If it was really that’s good Toyota would’ve put something like this on the paint from the factory. You remind me of the fools that get their car rust proofed and end up doing damage to it. General motors at one time even said if you ruse proof the car you void all rust warranties.
instead of wasting your money why don’t you save it for maintenance, pay off bills or groceries or something useful.

·
Registered
489 Posts
A fool and their money are soon parted. None of these coatings last for years. If it was really that’s good Toyota would’ve put something like this on the paint from the factory. You remind me of the fools that get their car rust proofed and end up doing damage to it. General motors at one time even said if you ruse proof the car you void all rust warranties.
instead of wasting your money why don’t you save it for maintenance, pay off bills or groceries or something useful.
What an absolutely troubling reply, therefore I do believe it's time to wield the hanky of steel. Everyone is free to express their opinions out here whether they know what they are talking about or not. However when it descends into name calling it's another matter. Show some class, dignity and respect for others. Lighten up will ya, Politenessman has spoken.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium AWD
268 Posts
Regardless of my opinion on coatings, no need to compare members to fools.

·
Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
Just plain rude and is your opinion only. Play nice and chill with the innuendos.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts