Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a show-stopper, but my round dial mechanical tire gauges (I have two from 10 years back or so) can't make a good seal with the stem. Very good at letting air escape. Not so good at getting a reading.

I'm not suggesting at all that this is an issue with my Hybrid RAV4 but wonder if the dimensions of stems have changed at all in the last decade and whether it's time to get a new gauge.

If so, do you all have any favorites?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
731 Posts
For the last 40 years I have used a Milton pencil gauge. Don't get a cheapo - get a Milton.

Reactions: Win262

·
Registered
104 Posts
Stems are the same - likely the seals on the old gauge are dried, not giving you that good seal. I've had good luck with an Accu-Gage mechanical ones or Accu-Tire digital gauges. All reasonably priced and easy to find. If you got money burning a hole in your pocket - might try a Longacre (digital + pyrometer) or Intercomp (mechanical) gauge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did your RAV4 come filled with nitrogen? Not sure if this is something my dealer does or if all cars come with this now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Did your RAV4 come filled with nitrogen? Not sure if this is something my dealer does or if all cars come with this now.
I'm sure that's a dealer thing to add a little profit. I've seen dealer-added nitrogen for as little as $35 and as much as $200!!! My personal experience is that it doesn't make any difference, you still need to adjust the pressure due to seasonal temperature changes. The atmosphere is 79% nitrogen anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm sure that's a dealer thing to add a little profit. I've seen dealer-added nitrogen for as little as $35 and as much as $200!!! My personal experience is that it doesn't make any difference, you still need to adjust the pressure due to seasonal temperature changes. The atmosphere is 79% nitrogen anyway.
No additional cost, just like free inspections for life, etc. I guess it's their way of differentiating themselves besides price although I was happy with the price and painless buying experience.

·
Registered
240 Posts
No additional cost, just like free inspections for life, etc.
Kudos to your dealer. The other downside of nitrogen is that to maintain its alleged benefits, you've got use nitrogen if you need increase the tire pressure. That means a trip to the dealer or the tire store instead of firing up the 12v compressor. Not worth the hassle, IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts