Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 base and changed the oem radio to Android head unit and no longer have a use for the AUX on the console and am thinking about changing it out to a double USB port for my phone!

Anybody changed theirs and remember the size?

I'm thinking of using this one and it says it fits the rav4. It's 23mm x33mm? I've searched the threads but don't see a constant size number . some say 20x 30. I guess I could file it down if its a little to big!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dual-USB-2-0-Car-Charger-Quick-Charge-3-0-for-Toyota-with-Short-Circuit-Protection/32990372267.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.14534c4dRUd3pM

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE. I got the USB port yesterday! Toyota Dual Port USB QC3.0 22x33 mm or 0.88x 1.3" charger. (Took about 15days from China) It was a snug fit but it went in the AUX slot ! I wired it to the 12V outlet that's in the armrest! Everything is working and it Fast charges with the QC3.0 port! Well worth the $8 I paid for it as long as it lasts!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice mod! Curious do you have it wired only for charging or for audio input as well?

Ideally I'd want both music and charging functionality.

Either way a solid upgrade from the AUX!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice mod! Curious do you have it wired only for charging or for audio input as well?

Ideally I'd want both music and charging functionality.

Either way a solid upgrade from the AUX!
It's just wired for usb for charging my phone.

I put a separate usb next to the dash panel for my head unit to install apps and Maps for GPS.

I'm sure you can find another AUX at a salvage yard if that's all you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gotcha, thanks for the reply.

My 2009 Base only has the basic head unit with CD/FM/AM so will most likely just replace the AUX and use a bluetooth adapter less headache than putting in a new head unit.

But either way having the USB ports there for charging is very convenient.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a pic of the other USB ports. The single one is used for the Head unit.(pluged into USB from the Head Unit) The double one I got after I already changed the AUX one. It has a Voltage Led so you can see what the Battery Voltage is before you start the car and what the Alternator Voltage is charging at while the car is running. ( Spliced to the 12v adapter on the right) I wish I would have found it before I bought the other one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
UPDATE. I got the USB port yesterday! Toyota Dual Port USB QC3.0 22x33 mm or 0.88x 1.3" charger. (Took about 15days from China) It was a snug fit but it went in the AUX slot ! I wired it to the 12V outlet that's in the armrest! Everything is working and it Fast charges with the QC3.0 port! Well worth the $8 I paid for it as long as it lasts!
I plan on doing this soon. Just curious, with your modification, does the 12v outlet in the armrest continue to work as normal? If you wouldn't mind, can you tell me what color wires need to be connected inside the box? I really don't know much about any of this, but want to try and tackle it myself. Your pictures were a little confusing to me.

I bought the same USB port as you.

Do you have a link to that single USB port too? Perhaps I could use that instead for my new HU stereo.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aliexpress

DWCX New 24cm Car Black Plastic Metal Dashboard Flush Mount Male to Female Extension Embedded USB Cable UC-1 Fit for Toyota

I think this was the seller but not sure so do a search

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aliexpress

DWCX New 24cm Car Black Plastic Metal Dashboard Flush Mount Male to Female Extension Embedded USB Cable UC-1 Fit for Toyota

I think this was the seller but not sure so do a search

Thank you! And just to circle back, does your 12v continue to work? I'd imagine it would, because you just spliced into the power source, right? But I can't tell if you plugged it back in. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I plugged it back in the outlet but didn't test it. I never used it but I don't see why it wouldn't still work.( I have used the one under the AC controls)

Looking at my pics looks like the WHITE WIRE is POSITIVE and the GREY WITH THE STRIPE is NEG. You can check it with a multimeter just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to let you know if you put it under the AC controls you can put your phone in the slot while charging. In the armrest there isn't anyplace to put the phone unless you get a longer cord to put it in the slot under the controls.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's good advice. I plan on putting a different port there for USB and AUX, and that will tie into the new stereo. This is why the current AUX port will become useless and thus taking your mod to replace it with USB power. You've been very helpful, thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suppose I have one more question just because I don't want to buy or use the wrong pieces. Those blue wire connectors, can you send me a link to whatever those are? I see that it depends on the thickness of the wires, but since you've done this already, do you remember what size I need for the snap locks? I appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts