Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I lease a 2014 XLE black for 3 years now (4 years term) with 65000 km. My initial plan was to buy it after the lease term.

Now, Toyota dealer offered me to change it for a 2017 hybrid LE+ for about maximum 20$/month more.
I test drove it and I like it, but I cannot make up my mind.
This time, I would buy it after the lease.

Why I would do the move :
- Better fuel economy (70-75% city driving)
- Better ride in town (more torque)
- Better towing capacity (not much)
- I think that black color does not age well even if I take good care of it, so I would change color
- I prefer the redesigned look

Why I would keep it :
- Cheapest option
- Installed new tires 2 months ago
- Front brakes already replaced (last november)
- Better AWD system in winter

Other option is to wait to see what 2018 model bring new.

I would like to know what you think about it.

Thank you

·
Registered
324 Posts
I switched from a 2015 gas model to a 2017 hybrid and couldn't be happier. Yes, the monthly payments are more, but the fuel economy is better than expected. The 2017 is much more smooth and quieter than the 2015. The 2018 model will be the same as the 2017, changes are expected for 2019 when the RAV moves to a new platform. My 2 cents; The hybrid is the better car and worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I traded my 2014 on a 16 hybrid. Don't regret it at all. If it's $20 more per month(assuming you still lease) you'll save more than that on gas per month.......in summer anyway.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...I lease a 2014 XLE black for 3 years now (4 years term) with 65000 km. My initial plan was to buy it after the lease term.

Now, Toyota dealer offered me to change it for a 2017 hybrid LE+ for about maximum 20$/month more.
This time, I would buy it after the lease...
I'm not a fan of leasing, but there was some lengthy discussion on this forum awhile back. The forum member's strategy was to sell the leased car to a place like CarMax before the lease is up. They pay off Toyota to finish your lease and (in theory) give you a chunk of cash. You are then free to lease again or use the cash as a down payment. This might be hype, but it might be worth a phone call to see if it really plays out that way. Not sure if there is a CarMax in your area, though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am not sure how it is in the US, but here in Canada for all my leases on the last 10 years, Toyota throws in big incentives in year 3 of my 4 year lease. The 3rd year is when I usually need tires and brakes and the warranty period is over. It's better for me to turn in the lease early and get a new car than to wait until the end of the term.

·
Registered
846 Posts
A friend was offered a similar deal half a year ago and was convinced to lease a XLE hybrid. He intended to lease every few years anyway so to him it wasn't an issue. In your case because you intended to buy, then you would experience another round of depreciation on the hybrid but then again with high residual values, maybe you only paid $10k over your lease term.

2018 RAV4 will look the same so no need to wait:
https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/rav4

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am not going to speak to Leasing, as I don't believe that is the reason you started the thread.

What I will say is that I recently traded in a 2013 Rav4 XLE on a 2017 Limited Hybrid. I am so glad I did.

Quieter
More power
MUCH better gas mileage (from 27 mpg to 38 mpg). And I drive mostly highway. In the city, I would have done worse before, and better now.
Slightly better styling (subjective)
More safety features

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not going to speak to Leasing, as I don't believe that is the reason you started the thread.

What I will say is that I recently traded in a 2013 Rav4 XLE on a 2017 Limited Hybrid. I am so glad I did.

Quieter
More power
MUCH better gas mileage (from 27 mpg to 38 mpg). And I drive mostly highway. In the city, I would have done worse before, and better now.
Slightly better styling (subjective)
More safety features

Good luck with your decision.
Thank you for your answer.

Did the painted plastic front is subject to stone chip? My black front isn't as clean as when was new...
Did you tow with your rav? I plan to buy a small cargo trailer. I will be under the 1750lbs limit, but I wonder how's the hybrid for towing.

Now for the lease vs. buy question : I wanted to buy my 2014, but the total cost of ownership on 72 month was cheaper with lease and buy the residual than just buy. It was mostly due to the rates. With MSD (Multiple Security Deposit), I was able to get the rate down.
The downside is that you are encouraged to change after 3-4 years even if your plan was to keep it.

Today, it is still cheaper for me to lease and buy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank you for your answer.

Did the painted plastic front is subject to stone chip? My black front isn't as clean as when was new...
Did you tow with your rav? I plan to buy a small cargo trailer. I will be under the 1750lbs limit, but I wonder how's the hybrid for towing.

Now for the lease vs. buy question : I wanted to buy my 2014, but the total cost of ownership on 72 month was cheaper with lease and buy the residual than just buy. It was mostly due to the rates. With MSD (Multiple Security Deposit), I was able to get the rate down.
The downside is that you are encouraged to change after 3-4 years even if your plan was to keep it.

Today, it is still cheaper for me to lease and buy.
I have no chips on my 2017 thus far. It's been four months and the paint color is white.

I do not tow, but I'd suspect the Hybrid would be slightly better due to the instant torque of the electric motors assisting the gas engine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I do not tow, but I'd suspect the Hybrid would be slightly better due to the instant torque of the electric motors assisting the gas engine.
For me personally, it's much more important to be able to brake fast than to accelerate fast. :D

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you can sell the car for more than the stated residual value, then you might as well take over the lease and sell it but there are risks involved (tire kickers, low ballers, etc.) and we would never be able to sell it for CPO prices because the dealership usually throws in some warranty on the vehicle.

If your vehicle has some of the warranty left, then maybe it's an easier sell but then you have one more year to go on the lease anyway. I think the only thing going for (that you so require) the RAV4 Hybrid is the towing capacity but how often do you tow stuff anyway? I have yet to install the trailer hitch on ours, haha.

I think the dealership has a ready buyer for your car and perhaps the residual value on the contract is much lower than what it wants to sell the car for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did the move

Hi!

I lease a 2014 XLE black for 3 years now (4 years term) with 65000 km. My initial plan was to buy it after the lease term.

This time, I would buy it after the lease.

Why I would do the move :
- Better fuel economy (70-75% city driving)
- Better ride in town (more torque)
- Better towing capacity (not much)
- I think that black color does not age well even if I take good care of it, so I would change color
- I prefer the redesigned look

Why I would keep it :
- Cheapest option
- Installed new tires 2 months ago
- Front brakes already replaced (last november)
- Better AWD system in winter

Other option is to wait to see what 2018 model bring new.

I would like to know what you think about it.

Thank you
Hello all,

My new Hybrid LE+ Sky Silver as been delivered to me yesterday.

I'm really happy until now.

I added only hood deflector and cargo liner :

The car has been transfered from another dealer. I really suspect that a full front bumper PPTAPE was installed by the original dealer.

Only the bumper is like that.
What do you think? Are all front bumper have this kind of wrap from factory?
I see the demarcation only on the outline of the fenders.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Congrats on the hybrid. You will love it. Probably drive it to the ground like you would have the earlier RAV4. :)

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
That is a different Toyota Hybrid cargo mat, then Toyota sold me. Covers much more. Wonder if that is a Canadian thing.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
That is a different Toyota Hybrid cargo mat, then Toyota sold me. Covers much more. Wonder if that is a Canadian thing.

It's made in the US, but apparently only available in certain regions and in Canada. You musta missed these threads, you posted in the 3rd link. :confused:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/230994-hybrid-rear-mats.html#post2146634

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/255553-seat-covers-cargo-area-suggestions.html#post2351657

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/261641-new-rav4-owner.html#post2401553

·
Registered
138 Posts
The car has been transfered from another dealer. I really suspect that a full front bumper PPTAPE was installed by the original dealer.

Only the bumper is like that.
What do you think? Are all front bumper have this kind of wrap from factory?
I see the demarcation only on the outline of the fenders.
Congrats on the new RAV4 Hybrid. Looks like they installed the clear bra on the front bumper. But, it's odd they didn't install it on the hood, fenders, and mirror caps. But, you have a hood deflector though.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts