Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to hit 35K miles on my ‘17 RAV4.

The first five maintenances, up to 25K, were done for free at the Toyota dealership. The 30K was a full oil change maintenance that I had done. This coming 35K maintenance will be the first non-oil change maintenance that the Toyota manual recommends that isn’t free. The manual mainly has them checking the fluid levels in the car.

I‘ve talked to a couple of mechanics and they look at me like I’m crazy when I say the manual only recommends changing the oil every 10K miles. Most have told me I should go ahead and get the oil changed.

What are you guys doing for the the 5K service recommendations?

·
Registered
5 Posts

The first five maintenances, up to 25K, were done for free at the Toyota dealership. The 30K was a full oil change maintenance that I had done. This coming 35K maintenance will be the first non-oil change maintenance that the Toyota manual recommends that isn’t free. The manual mainly has them checking the fluid levels in the car.

I‘ve talked to a couple of mechanics and they look at me like I’m crazy when I say the manual only recommends changing the oil every 10K miles. Most have told me I should go ahead and get the oil changed.

I have a 17 also I have always change it every 5000 miles the oil might be new technology but the filters are old technology even changing it at 5000 the oil filter is filthy

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Theres been people here who have done oil analysis from blackstone and it came up fine. Its your money .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Theres been people here who have done oil analysis from blackstone and it came up fine
We've done oil analysis for 12mo and just about 10k miles of driving in and out of the mountains. Everything came back very good, we could easily have gotten another 2k miles out of the oil. The filter is clearly doing its job after 12mo/10k as there were no high counts for contaminants. Our engine is over 50k miles, LE AWD high-altitude mountain driving.

** Fully synthetic oil of course (Toyota OEM filter/rings)

Oil Analysis (findings for multiple RAV4's)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 17 also I have always change it every 5000 miles the oil might be new technology but the filters are old technology even changing it at 5000 the oil filter is filthy
I agree 100 % with You. I change each of My toyotas at 5k and the dealer does the 2 free ones at 10k and 20k. I also changed the cheap plastic filter canister to aluminum after breaking of one of My tabs on My Wifes 2016 Camry.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Rely on science rather than old habits. Modern oils and filters are more than sufficient for 10,000-mile OCIs in this vehicle:

Search "used oil analysis" for more scientific proof from other members.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I do my oil every 6 months / 5K miles and will continue doing so. Change my mind!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Do you change all your fluids at half the recommend intervals ? In not why? Surely TOYOTA must also be wrong about those.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I personally wouldn’t go more than 7 to 8k miles or 1 year with 0W-20 and a new filter. Any more than that just isn’t worth the risk. Oil is cheap, engines are expensive.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I don't get why people think Toyota wants you to ruin your engine. They don't pay for the oil. They could easily say 5000 miles is best if they thought that.

To each his own I guess

·
Registered
24 Posts
After reviewing several oil analysis from people doing 10k OCI and everything coming back looking great, I decided to do 10k OCI changes myself.

I have been using Mobil 1 EP and OEM filters.

Just hit 100k miles, no issues yet.

On to the next 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
After reviewing several oil analysis from people doing 10k OCI and everything coming back looking great, I decided to do 10k OCI changes myself.

I have been using Mobil 1 EP and OEM filters.

Just hit 100k miles, no issues yet.

On to the next 100k miles.

Just an FYI . Mobil 1 has a $12 rebate for a 5qt jug of oil twice a year. (You just to keep your eyes open.)

I've been getting my oil from Walmart and using the rebates for a couple of years now. No problems so far.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I change ours at 5k mark. Easy to do and I know it's good to go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As long as you use the proper full synthetic oil with quality oil filter, 10K should be fine. Our family currently have 2016 Rav4 SE, 2019 Rav4 Limited, and 2019 Lexus NX300 but all only required Mobil1 Full Synthetic 0W-20 with Mobil1 Oil filter every 10K without any issues.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You asked about magic number and studies, so I gave an example from Toyota itself.
Not trying to push any particular interval on anyone, but sometimes Toyota seems overly optimistic with their intervals. For example lifetime ATF.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts