Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a Toyota rav4 AWD with 340K miles. I recently had my alternator replaced at tires plus. Could replacing the alternator cause the engine to be sluggish? I also noticed that when the AC kicks in, the RPMs drop slightly every 20 seconds. When the AC is off, i havent noticed the RPMs dropping. Can the alternator cause this as well? Ties plus wants me to do a fuel flush for $80 to see if that will help. lol. Thanks

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The A/C compressor switching on and off will have an effect upon engine RPM and that ordinarily has essentially nothing to do with the alternator. Also, replacing the alternator should not result in the engine being sluggish unless Tires Plus did something regarding the engine when they did the work, and there ordinarily shouldn't have been a reason for them to do so. Fuel flush for $80 - probably a waste of money since all that ordinarily is done is to pour a bottle of fuel conditioner and/or fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank, which one can do on their own.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2004 model as well. I changed my alternator earlier this year. actually the engine will become sluggish but that will just be for a couple days. as for the RPM dropping when the AC kicks in... i've noticed that a few days now with mines. I'm still keeping a close eye on it. how long now did you change your alternator?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts