Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just bought my first Toyota ever, a 2017 RAV4 hybrid. I love it!

I do all my own maintenance on my cars and I'm very experienced, usually I change transmission fluid on my cars to keep it clean, my last car was a 2011 Chevy volt with 157k miles and ran like new.

So I want to do the ATF in my RAV4 but I'm finding very little on hybrid ATF changes, I looked underneath and it looks like the rear motor is very straightforward with a regular fill/drain plug etc one of the front ones looks the same.
However there is a kind of plate/plug which looks like it might be a filter? Is there an online guide.

Also I plan on using Toyota ATF ws but I can't find how much I need to buy for the swap.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I plan to do mine at about ~150k. There are no complicated things inside the eCVT transmission and rear motor - just gears. Both are very simple to do - just drain and fill to the fill plug level.

Toyota/Lexus say both of them are filled for "lifetime".

techinfo.toyota.com should have all the info.

·
Super Moderator
9,970 Posts
If you change all those, it is a feel good thing, because they never need changing.
The fact that I've never heard this question before indicates the same.
And maybe you're taking a chance of doing it wrong for no reason.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Here i a good thread to ready about the eCVts. Bottom line, unless you tow, its better not to change until atleast 120K miles or perhaps more,

Hey all, just bought my first Toyota ever, a 2017 RAV4 hybrid. I love it!

I do all my own maintenance on my cars and I'm very experienced, usually I change transmission fluid on my cars to keep it clean, my last car was a 2011 Chevy volt with 157k miles and ran like new.

So I want to do the ATF in my RAV4 but I'm finding very little on hybrid ATF changes, I looked underneath and it looks like the rear motor is very straightforward with a regular fill/drain plug etc one of the front ones looks the same.
However there is a kind of plate/plug which looks like it might be a filter? Is there an online guide.

Also I plan on using Toyota ATF ws but I can't find how much I need to buy for the swap.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
40 Posts
View attachment 154731 The fluid is the same as the Prius and after 10's of thousands of miles it gets dirty like every car? Folks change their Prius ATF why not RAV4?
Yep I do only 30k intervals on my Prius. I’ll be doing the same for the RAV4. If the rear electric motor drains and fills the same way as the trans, I’ll be doing it at the same time as the trans. Too easy not to take care of. Toyota WS is fairly cheap and it only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
1. eCVT is just two planetary gear sets. It does not wear out the fluid as fast and is not very sensitive to the fluid quality.
2.If you judge by the color then oil changes need to be done every 500 miles or so. You need to send you oil to a lab for analysis. People done it and 150k is good interval for toyota/Lexus automatics. So it should more than sufficient for eCVT.
3. More Toyota transmissions are likely killed by fluid changes than die of other causes. Most dealers would not even take your money to change the atf.
4. 30k atf changes? I plan to keep my Rav4 till 300k. That would be 8 extra unneeded atf changes.
5. There was a courier with Rav4h on this forum with almost 300k. Still on original atf and brake fluids. I have a 2000 Saab with 315k that had only one transmission fluid change in its life.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
40 Posts
1. eCVT is just two planetary gear sets. It does not wear out the fluid as fast and is not very sensitive to the fluid quality.
2.If you judge by the color then oil changes need to be done every 500 miles or so. You need to send you oil to a lab for analysis. People done it and 150k is good interval for toyota/Lexus automatics. So it should more than sufficient for eCVT.
3. More Toyota transmissions are likely killed by fluid changes than die of other causes. Most dealers would not even take your money to change the atf.
4. 30k atf changes? I plan to keep my Rav4 till 300k. That would be 8 extra unneeded atf changes.
5. There was a courier with Rav4h on this forum with almost 300k. Still on original atf and brake fluids. I have a 2000 Saab with 315k that had only one transmission fluid change in its life.
1. When it heats up ie towing/high loads/high temps, quality diminishes.
2. I have had 2 independent inspections of my Toyota WS in the past. 1 recommended I stick to 30k intervals and the other said I could go to around 50k. I can be used much longer if you want to, but that doesn’t mean it’s ideal.
3. every dealer I’ve asked will do it. I do it myself, but it’s nice to know how much I’m saving by doing it myself. It takes only a few minutes and is cheap insurance.
4. my vehicles experience 100+ degree temperatures for half a year and spend lots of time under high load in the mountains. All 3 of them have also lasted past 300k miles, and still shift fine with WS or other Toyota trans fluid. My 2 others (Prius c 90k) and Rav4h (2k) are on their way. My conditions are severe and I take care of my vehicles accordingly. I have seen a few Toyota trans fail overseas in Saudi Arabia (severe service) with less then 100k kilometers with WS. Over the span of 300k miles, you’ll save about a whopping $400 in trans fluid changes unless your pay a stealership to do it. Let’s say that driving is done in a quick 10 years. You’re saving $40 a year. For most Americans, that’s less than a week of fast food and Starbucks. Many people here are wasting over $40 every time they step into a dealer for service. I guess I’m just used to saving tons of money on vehicle maintenance. Just a different perspective.
5. That’s great testimony, but that doesn’t represent the hybrid community as a whole when many NYC Prius taxis are sticking with 30k-50k intervals for their severe service duty. All depends on how your car is driven. Again it’s pretty cheap easy insurance for a long term vehicle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Any link to anyone reporting eCVT failure (and especially due to old fluid) on any hybrid Toyota ?

I read a lot of forums and have not seen a single such report.

Even if I DIY I still value my time rather high - about $100 per one atf change in 2 gearboxes. So $1200 for a piece of mind does seem excessive.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
40 Posts
Any link to anyone reporting eCVT failure (and especially due to old fluid) on any hybrid Toyota ?

I read a lot of forums and have not seen a single such report.

Even if I DIY I still value my time rather high - about $100 per one atf change in 2 gearboxes. So $1200 for a piece of mind does seem excessive.
None but while rare, they do exist. Not often from a mechanical aspect, but more so from electrical sensors that can have issues with excessively old or dirty fluid. Maybe it’s a anomaly. Who knows. I figure I’d rather keep clean and quality fluid in my transmissions while I operate vehicles severely. If there are anomalies out there, I’d rather not be one. As for time, it takes about the same to drain and fill my transmission as it does to change the engine oil. Most of the time both are draining at the same time when I happen to also service the transmission. I value my time but I cant see time as being that much of a critical factor. 30 minutes tops every 30k miles is time well wasted in my opinion.
different strokes for different folks I suppose.
I look at it similar to a differential. I could leave the same fluid in their for 150k miles, but I could also check on it through normal intervals and replace as necessary. Every drain and fill I’ve done has cost me less than $50. I’m excellent with saving money and prioritizing finances, but having to spend $50 once every few years isn’t something I’m going to fuss over.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I bought a friend's 2012 CT200h a few months ago and looking at the service records, ATF was changed twice at around 100,000 km at the Lexus dealership. It's now at 195,000 km, I got it when it was a little over 193,000.

So ATF WS is all we need? It is like a drain and fill with manual transmissions fluids (and other fluids)?

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
40 Posts
I bought a friend's 2012 CT200h a few months ago and looking at the service records, ATF was changed twice at around 100,000 km at the Lexus dealership. It's now at 195,000 km, I got it when it was a little over 193,000.

So ATF WS is all we need? It is like a drain and fill with manual transmissions fluids (and other fluids)?
Yes. And yes it drains simply like a manual transmission or differential. $200 is way to much for this service. It takes half an hour tops. Good on the previous owner for getting it done, but they got ripped off. If you have a garage and jack stands, it should cost you $50 in fluid and gaskets, and a little of your time.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes. And yes it drains simply like a manual transmission or differential. $200 is way to much for this service. It takes half an hour tops. Good on the previous owner for getting it done, but they got ripped off. If you have a garage and jack stands, it should cost you $50 in fluid and gaskets, and a little of your time.
Thanks.

I did my 02 Civic's MT fluid spring of 2019. Maybe should have skipped it since I sold it early this year. I have those tools. I'll ask what the dealership will charge but I may postpone until 100k. Still have extended warranty until early 2023 so I have dealership do most stuff but I pass on silly upsells like change filters, wiper blades, tire alignments etc.

Yeah, my friend got ripped off at the Lexus dealership but that's why I was okay buying her car. I am also looking at the CT200h EGR valve issue but the throttle body was cleaned just 20,000 km ago and there's no shudder at all even during March. I don't want to bother opening things up if I don't have to. Still getting 42 MPG in the summer after spark plugs change so I don't think anything is blocked.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you change all those, it is a feel good thing, because they never need changing.
And engine oil only needs changing every 50k miles.

Every 30k and you can drive 300k+ miles (batt cell change/upgrade at 150-200k)

What I think they may have gotten rid of is MAYBE power steering. Brackets I think still have fluid but not sure the type (DOT 5?).

CV's should be cleaned and repacked between 100k-150k.

My bit maintenance question is what (visual?) Sensors must be kept clean for accurate lane guide/self drive system.

LOVE the Lane assist system!!! Needs some updates/tweaks but it's AWESOME!

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
89 Posts
With the AWD-i, the rear EV is very seldom used compared to a traditional set-up!
Changing the fluid, (which is NOT part of the scheduled maintenance for a reason) seems like a total waste of time and money to me.

For the mechanical details, see this excellent Youtube video from Weber State automotive program: RAV4 and Highlander Hybrid Q11 Electric Real Axle.

Note: at the ~5:30 mark he discusses the air-cooled nature of the axle, and at ~9:30 he points out the drain & fill plugs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
NOTE: With the iAWD, the rear EV is very seldom used compared to a traditional set-up!
Changing the fluid, (which is NOT part of the scheduled maintenance for a reason) seems like a total waste of time and money to me.
I disagree. That motor is used more than you think. Just watch your display sometime. It gets used to charge the battery as well as in acceleration.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
40 Posts
NOTE: With the iAWD, the rear EV is very seldom used compared to a traditional set-up!
The motor is used almost always to assist takeoff from a stop, even when in perfect driving conditions. While it’s not used as much, it still does get used. It’s not apart of the very unspecific schedule that Toyota lays out for many of their vehicles. Just like the trans fluid being claimed as a lifetime fluid that only needs inspection. I’d think a 60k interval would be fine for the rear motor. Unless you’re heavily engaging AWD in areas with long winters. In hot environments, you’d be silly not to. The time and money cost is negligible. An extra 10 minutes while you’re already under your vehicle, and maybe $10 in fluid/gaskets at most.

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
89 Posts
Yes, the MGR is used during a start from a complete stop (up-to ~3 mph), if the sensors detect rear "slippage" (but only if under ~45 mph), and during regenerative braking. Total % of time in use compared to traditional transmissions/transaxles? I'm satisfied that if Toyota doesn't recommend changing the fluid, it doesn't need it.

But of course owners makes their own decisions about these sorts of things, and YMMV. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts