Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can one find instructions on changing the spark plug wires & distributor cap for RAv4s.

Thanks in advance.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just did this job on our RAV for the first time last weekend. It's quite similar to any other vehicle, but I'll make a few recommendations.

1.remove the air hose going to the throttle body...you'll need that extra wiggle room.
2.the cap is also held by two screws, these aren't self retaining and can drop out and find their way into annoying nooks and crannies...
2.the rotor is held on by two screws, also not self retaining...and smaller than the above...
4.Plug wires are of a design that's new to me...had to pry one end up to disengage them...no big...but a little fiddly.
5.While you're in there, check out your plugs too

Bogatyr

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was not hard at all. This was my first time trying and it took me about an hour to do. The hardest part was pulling the old wireset out. It saved me about $100 in labor. Thanks for the tips!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on you 1st plug wire change! "Knowledge is power" :wink: ...or in this case "Knowlege = $$$" :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Bulldog5 said:
I'm thinking about changing my wires and cap. Does it make a big difference in the overall efficiency of the engine and how often is changing them recommended?
It would make a difference on performance and fuel economy... especially if the wires are real old.... I don't know what the recommended intervals are 30k or 60k ??? not sure, but plug wires aren't cheap, if I recall OEM are in the $60-80 range... cap and rotor are more reasonable... also changing spark plugs would be important too... those you can change more frequently as they aren't as expensive, otherwise there are alternative NGK plugs that you can find on NGK's website...

I recently changed my wires due to being old as well as one of the wires actually ripped off from the handle when pulling it out.... :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts