Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
You can remove the fluid with the back on ramps but at fill-up time, it should be level.

You might have seen my pictures with the back lifted up, but I made sure that the whole vehicle is still level.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
like all fluids, it should be done on level, but sometimes you just can't. check the capacity first (around 500ml) and try to fill it compensating with what might be left in it, then you can check if it's about right by putting you finger in the fill hole.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You can do the drain and refill of the rear diff while jacked up. Then lower to ground level allowing a little bit more fluid to run out before reinstalling the fill plug. You'll have to back crawl to do that final step, but is possible.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I drive it backwards up ramps, fill til it comes out, plug and done

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I drive it backwards up ramps, fill til it comes out, plug and done
Are your ramps keeping your car level? If you install the fill plug with the rear end raised and the diff topped up like that, you will be overfilled. I've done mine twice while raised observed an ounce or so draining after being put back on the level. The spec says to check when level.

Per the Service Manual:

DIFFERENTIAL OIL ON-VEHICLE INSPECTION 1. CHECK DIFFERENTIAL OIL (a) Stop the vehicle on a level surface. (b) Using a 10 mm socket hexagon wrench, remove the rear differential filler plug and gasket.
(c) Check that the oil level is between 0 to 5 mm (0 to 0.20 in.) from the bottom lip of the differential filler plug hole... • Too much or too little oil will lead to differential problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts