Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First time posting here.

Two days ago, I took my Rav4 2007 to the local Toyota dealer for oil change and to check on the brakes.

My car is 10 years old but due to low usage, my car only had 32,930 mileage on it.

The dealer recommend that I change the drive belt. Their reasoning is even though my car has low mileage, it is 10 years old.

So I went ahead and changed the drive belt and had to spend extra bucks!!! :mad:

Do you think the dealer ripped me off?

Or since I owned Rav4 for the last 10 years (despite the low mileage) was it a right time to replace the belt?

I don't know if there was any visual cracks on it since I didn't get to see it myself.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
It was the right thing to do, settle down. You don't state which engine but if the V-6 I would have replaced the water pump.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
I would have thought that the drive belt was OK on your I4 engine as in your profile, unless there was an obvious problem with it which could have been determined by turning the crankshaft with a wrench and inspecting the belt as the pulley is turned. Agree with RTexasF that the coolant pump should have been replaced. Edit: If there was some obvious problem with it, such as leaking.

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
IMO they ripped you off. The "drive belt" is simply the serpentine belt that runs the accessories. They last more like 233,000 miles than 33,000. And the water pump may too. But you paid your money and you got your warning, that being don't go back.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Driving Nissan's, Buick, Volvo, now Toyota:
I get my timing belts changed at 150K miles (= 240,000 Km).
- last belt change was on a 2002 Volvo v70 wagon
- the used belt still appeared perfect...no evidence of cracking
- I told mechanic, don't mix up the old & new belt...they both looked the same / he agreed
Your Dealer up-$elled you.

NEVER! Replace an Alternator Belt/Serpentine Belt AGAIN !
^^ Conditioning my next Timing belt.
- secret at 2:11 minute mark (AeroSpace Protectant 303 @ $44.53/gal)
https://www.amazon.com/303-Surface-Cleaner-Purpose-Marine/dp/B0002KKHSS/ref=pd_sim_263_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002KKHSS&pd_rd_r=H5THMBRTB2XFRDTRZTRH&pd_rd_w=auWUx&pd_rd_wg=j02pi&psc=1&refRID=H5THMBRTB2XFRDTRZTRH

- 303 Multi Surface Cleaner is a powerful all purpose cleaner that is PH neutral, fragrance free, water based and safe for all fabrics and surfaces. Perfect for everyday cleaning and as a powerful cleaning agent to remove tough grease, stains and spots.
- 303 all purpose cleaner provides the ultimate cleaning power with no residue and will effortlessly remove and clean the toughest oil, coffee, grease, ink and liquid spots and spills. Safe to use for cleaning fabric, leather, apparel, rubber, plastic, kitchen countertops, sinks, bathroom, vinyl, metal, painted surfaces, suede, canvas, teak, outdoor upholstery and more.
- 303 Multi Surface Cleaner is recommended by Sunbrella. This product is solvent and dye free and is designed to clean all water safe synthentic, natural and delicate fabrics.
- Safely brightens, protects and rejuvenates surfaces. Contains no caustics or acids.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts