Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change my oil since I just went over 1000 miles yesterday. Where in the world is the oil filter on the 2.4L?? :?:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have to get at it from underneath. Locate the hole in the plastic shroud on the passenger side and you will see the filter.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the filter screw off pretty easy or will I need one of those silly wrenches? :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
tool

it depends how tight it might be on my rav I used an oil changing tool (silly wrenches) . Good luck with yuor oil change. most like ly you will need a tool ............... 8)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't the first oil change recommended at 5000 miles? Just curious, why are you changing at 1000?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When engines are machined, there are metal shavings that often get left. Most of these shavings can be elliminated by changing the oil. The sooner you get them out the better. Just a personal choice. :wink: I will get my second change at 5000 miles and follow the schedule from there on. :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotchya, thanks for the info. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious :)

John

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I did remember the CAP type wrench, but I still couldn't get the thing off. The cap slips. That thing is practically welded on. I ended up just putting the new oil in, remembering that I needed a little less because the oil filter is full. I will possibly try a different b rand of CAP in the future. I will have the shop that works on our cars do the 5000 mile maintenance and get that thing off. :x

·
Registered
130 Posts
The ideal wrench is the one made by Lisle that grips tighter the harder you turn it. It looks like this:

It only removes the filter and you still need one of the the cap type wrenches to put the new one on. It worked perfectly on my 1997 Rav4 and should work on the new engine unless the filter is much larger in diameter in which case there is a larger version available.

Details are on the Lisle weebsite http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=1114

·
Registered
240 Posts
The screwdriver through the oil filter shell works for me.

The factory always seems to over torque new car filters.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
If it makes ya feel any better I ended up going back to the store twice to get the proper cap wrench too. Its very smalll and not may places have one that fits. I tried a cheap knock off of the Lisle one shown by Harold here but that did not work. I tried a strap wrench but that to could not grap tight enough and that did not work. I actually crushed the filter a bit attempting to get it off but I finally got it off with a proper sized cap wrench. it was pretty easy when I DID actually find the correct sized one. Now the new one went on bt hand. :)

sstarrx3 said:
Well I did remember the CAP type wrench, but I still couldn't get the thing off. The cap slips. That thing is practically welded on. I ended up just putting the new oil in, remembering that I needed a little less because the oil filter is full. I will possibly try a different b rand of CAP in the future. I will have the shop that works on our cars do the 5000 mile maintenance and get that thing off. :x

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
VERY messy and I have had bad luck using that method. I actually ripped the case of the filter all the way around with that method on another car once. Actually had the whole filter removed except for the cast base.. I then notched a flat blade screwdriver blade and using one of the drain holes tapped the base around untill I could remove it. Oh and did I mention that took so long it started to pour rain and I was outside in a monsoon doing this?? LOL

mhgsx said:
The screwdriver through the oil filter shell works for me.

The factory always seems to over torque new car filters.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two things. The oil filter the guy sold me looks shorter than the one stuck up in there? I think he sold me a 2005 oil filter thinking because the engine was the same the filter was. I believe the 2006 use a different filter. Probably why it looks longer to me? Anyway, my dinner was getting cold and the auto parts stores were closing, so I broke down and just put in 4.3 quarts of Mobile1 0W-20 (Very hard to find) in with the OEM filter still on. I figure it shouldn't hurt anything since they don't call for it to be changed until 5000 miles anyway :D Did any of you guys buy the repair manual from your dealer for your RAV? I might give the DIY a go, even though I don't know much about cars. Is that dumb? I'm a pretty bright guy, can I tackle this with the use of a good manual? :shock:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Having owned a number of new cars over the years, I've learned to let the dealer do the first change. They must use 3 gorillas and a 10' cheater bar to get those filters on!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I couldn't get the factory filter off by hand either at my 1,000 mile change, so I just went ahead and changed the oil alone. I will need to pick up one of the cap wrenches as well. Was going to impale the filter with a screwdriver too, but decided to get the filter wrench later.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
The pure one is same size as the original AND they both are the same as a 05 model. So somethings wrong.
What brand filter did you get? The Pure one should be # PL14477.. You do not need the manual to change the oil..

http://www.pureoil.com/ProductFinder.aspx?action=AS

sstarrx3 said:
Two things. The oil filter the guy sold me looks shorter than the one stuck up in there? I think he sold me a 2005 oil filter thinking because the engine was the same the filter was. I believe the 2006 use a different filter. Probably why it looks longer to me? Anyway, my dinner was getting cold and the auto parts stores were closing, so I broke down and just put in 4.3 quarts of Mobile1 0W-20 (Very hard to find) in with the OEM filter still on. I figure it shouldn't hurt anything since they don't call for it to be changed until 5000 miles anyway :D Did any of you guys buy the repair manual from your dealer for your RAV? I might give the DIY a go, even though I don't know much about cars. Is that dumb? I'm a pretty bright guy, can I tackle this with the use of a good manual? :shock:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts