Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after owning a 2014 Camry, I was pretty disappointed (and embarrassed!) by the OEM horns of my 2016 RAV4 XLE. So after doing a lot of reading on this site, I decided to change them out.

I purchased a set of Fiamm El Grande Horns (Part No. 74100) from Amazon. I knew just from looking that I didn’t want to have to remove the entire front-end of the vehicle just to change out the horns. So after doing a bit more reading, I found a thread where someone had simply removed the top fasteners and then, using a couple of 2x4’s, held the bodywork out far enough that he could accomplish the mission. Sounded simple enough to me!

So I removed the six fasters that held the top of the bodywork to the vehicle (as you can see from the picture, I had also previously removed the fasteners that held the trim piece over the radiator, but there’s no need to do that since it accomplishes nothing and doesn’t provide any access to the needed area). I also removed the three bolts that hold the top portion of each headlight in place just to loosen up the headlights to make it easier for the bodywork to slide out from under the headlight.

As you can see, I then wedged a couple of pieces of 2x4 in there to make a space large enough for me to get my arms down there to do the necessary work. It was surprisingly easy! One bolt to remove the old horn, pull off the electrical connector, plug the electrical connector back onto the blade of the new horn (it doesn't lock in place as on the OEM horns, but it's a tight enough fit that I don't think it will come off), and bolt the new horn back in place. The center horn is the more difficult simply because it’s in the middle of the vehicle and is lower down, but it’s easy enough. The top horn is located high on the driver’s side and is dead simple. I also didn’t use the red plastic piece included with the horns. It’s just decorative and would be facing the radiator anyway, so it’s really unnecessary. There was also no need for the included relay.

I’ve included a few sound files so you can hear the before and after differences. Since there is only one of me (unfortunately! :laugh ), I was standing behind the driver’s door, pushing the horn and holding my phone forward pointed under the hood, so you’re hearing the horn from the back, but you can still tell there’s an obvious difference between the OEM horns and the Fiamm El Grande horns.

So all in all, this was a very simple mod, much easier than I thought it was going to be considering that apparently some people have removed the entire front fascia just to swap out the horns! I highly recommend it! Here in Tex-Ass, all drivers are extremely courteous and generous toward all others, drivers and pedestrians alike, so there's very little need to actually use the horn for anything other than shooing away the occasional deer standing on the side of the road gazing all doey-eyed at the passing vehicles, but should the need arise, it is nice to have horns that are considerably more substantial sounding than the meep-meep horns provided by our favorite vehicle manufacturer! :surprise

Fiamm El Grande Horns.jpg

Remove these six fasteners (and three top bolts for the headlights):

Bodywork held out by 2x4s 2.jpg

2x4's holding bodywork out for easy access:

Bodywork held out by 2x4s 1.jpg

OEM Horns (factory marked with orange dot):

Original OEM Horns.jpg

Fiamm El Grande Horns installed:

Replacement Horns Installed.jpg

OEM Horns:

View attachment Before 01.mp3

View attachment Before 02.mp3

Fiamm El Grande Horns:

View attachment After 01.mp3

View attachment After 02.mp3

Hope this information helps!!! C ya!

Ron :nerd

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just now did this to my 2016 Rav4 xle.
It's really simple, without needing to stress the plastics in the bumper with wood.

There are 5 clip/bumper screws and bolts in the front center of the bumper just under the hood. Remove them.
Next there are 2 screw bolts on either side of the wheel well. 1 under the bumper parellel to the ground and 1 just up on the underside of the wheel well, above a small flat head plastic screw release clip. It turns 90° left just once to unlock.
Once all screws, clips and bolts are removed, you can gently pull the bumper along the seam under the headlights until the parts release.
When the bumper seams are released, you can gently pull the front top where the 1st 5 screws were removed until the bumper pops off its mounts. You can let it just rest where it stops and you will have a good 8 inches to easily work on the horns.

I installed the same horns that the original poster recomendations and they fit perfectly.
All you do is unclipped the blade plug from the exsiting horn and remove it saving the bolt. The new horns both have the same blade plug so just plug in the new ones and attach them just as the old ones were attached.

Once the horns are securely fastened, you can move the bumper into place again and snap the seams together again.
Screw it all back together as you took it apart and enjoy not being ignored in traffic anymore.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually did remove the fasteners from the wheel well, as you described, along with the indicated fasteners on the top, but wasn't able to get the front fascia to move out of the way. Perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough (or "gently" enough, as it were!). Either way, since a 2x4 is only 3-1/2" wide, it certainly didn't put much stress on the plastic and still provided plenty of room to change out the horns, even the one in the center, and was, IMHO, the easier solution. Regardless, either way, it's a pretty easy mod to undertake!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just now did this to my 2016 Rav4 xle.
It's really simple, without needing to stress the plastics in the bumper with wood.

There are 5 clip/bumper screws and bolts in the front center of the bumper just under the hood. Remove them.
Next there are 2 screw bolts on either side of the wheel well. 1 under the bumper parellel to the ground and 1 just up on the underside of the wheel well, above a small flat head plastic screw release clip. It turns 90° left just once to unlock.
Once all screws, clips and bolts are removed, you can gently pull the bumper along the seam under the headlights until the parts release.
When the bumper seams are released, you can gently pull the front top where the 1st 5 screws were removed until the bumper pops off its mounts. You can let it just rest where it stops and you will have a good 8 inches to easily work on the horns.

I installed the same horns that the original poster recomendations and they fit perfectly.
All you do is unclipped the blade plug from the exsiting horn and remove it saving the bolt. The new horns both have the same blade plug so just plug in the new ones and attach them just as the old ones were attached.

Once the horns are securely fastened, you can move the bumper into place again and snap the seams together again.
Screw it all back together as you took it apart and enjoy not being ignored in traffic anymore.
PSILOGENIC, would it be possible for you to take photos of the connectors/bolts on the side of the wheel well and the one under the bumper parellel to the ground and the one up on the underside of the wheel well? No trouble finding the correct connectors on the top of the grill assembly but I want to be certain of the ones underneath. I like you system to move this assembly out to install replacement Camry horns. thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe because it's winter and the plastic is little stiffer, but I'm having a tough time pulling the bumper even with all the screws off including the side off. Where did you grab the bumper first to loosen the side or even enough to slide in the 2x4? Maybe I'm being a little timid of cracking the bumper, but I can only seem to make a 2 inch space.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe because it's winter and the plastic is little stiffer, but I'm having a tough time pulling the bumper even with all the screws off including the side off. Where did you grab the bumper first to loosen the side or even enough to slide in the 2x4? Maybe I'm being a little timid of cracking the bumper, but I can only seem to make a 2 inch space.

Thanks for your help.
Howdy! You don't say where you're located, but if it's that cold, I would wait until it warms up. You do not have to loosen the side (near the wheel well) at all, just remove the indicated screws and pull toward you and you should easily be able to get enough room to insert the 2x4s as shown in the pictures I posted. The plastic is strong and flexible enough that you shouldn't have any problem with it, so don't worry about cracking it (unless, I guess, if it's freezing cold when you're trying it!).

Good luck! :nerd

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I'll try again when it's warmer out. I live in the DC area and of course I tried when cold, when it was in to 30's outside instead of today when it was in the 50's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, anyone replaced horn for hybrid version? I tried to do it follow the instruction and picture but unsuccessful. The placement of the screws are different and it doesnt move much after remove those plus headlight's

Thanks for any info/suggestion. Hate those dc beltway drivers and want to give them warnings with hella instead music to their ears. Haha

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm new to Toyota, got my 2013 Rav4 Limited in Nov 2016 and I immediately thought the claxon sound was a joke.

So now that I replaced the low beam headlights for LEDs, my next project is to change the horns.
I'm glad I found this thread.

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Owning a 2017 RAV4 XLE I was a bit embarrassed with the toy like horns! I also purchased a set of El Grande Fiamm 7411 off from EBay for $26.33 shipped. Thanks to the write-up and pictures from rscot01 I was able to complete the job with only one minor setback. Dropped the attaching bolt to the lower horns. That bolt disappeared into the bowels of the vehicle. Under the vehicle I had to remove one large piece of plastic trim, finally located the devil. The difference in the sound is night and day and very much worth the effort.

My many thanks to rscot01 for the write-up and pictures, made the difference.

Larry

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Owning a 2017 RAV4 XLE I was a bit embarrassed with the toy like horns! I also purchased a set of El Grande Fiamm 7411 off from EBay for $26.33 shipped. Thanks to the write-up and pictures from rscot01 I was able to complete the job with only one minor setback. Dropped the attaching bolt to the lower horns. That bolt disappeared into the bowels of the vehicle. Under the vehicle I had to remove one large piece of plastic trim, finally located the devil. The difference in the sound is night and day and very much worth the effort.

My many thanks to rscot01 for the write-up and pictures, made the difference.

Larry
Welcome to the 'Beep beep no more' club DEPUTY347K9 aka Larry!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Why would Toyota make higher tone horns? Is it cheaper and they are saving money? Do they not have the engineering knowledge to replicate a 1970's Cadillac horn?

The real answer is probably based on physics and human physiology.

Fact 1: sound transducers, which is what a horn is, are more efficient at certain frequencies. As a general rule of thumb, if you have say 10amp wiring dedicated to a horn, a horn transducer tuned to 1000hz will be louder than a horn transducer tuned to 700hz. Lower frequencies require more energy than higher frequencies for the same output. If you are limited to 10amps, you get more sound pressure output if you go with a higher frequency.

Fact 2: Human hearing is more sensitive to higher frequencies, up to a point, when it starts to roll off. If you have two horns, one 700hz and another 1000hz, and they both produce the same sound pressure levels, the 1000hz will appear to be louder to a human ear. That's why if you have a home theater system, at full blast your sub-woofer might require a 500 watt amplifier, and your tweeter will use only 20 watts.

So, the high sounding Toyota horn is beneficial in 2 ways, it generated a higher sound pressure level, and on top of that the perceived loudness of the tone is higher also. The horn is a safety device, not a macho fashion accessory, and I would argue that a Toyota horn is much better at grabbing the attention of other drivers. :D

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Why would Toyota make higher tone horns? Is it cheaper and they are saving money? Do they not have the engineering knowledge to replicate a 1970's Cadillac horn?

The real answer is probably based on physics and human physiology.
You make a good point, but WHY does Toyota put normal horns on the Camry but meep-meep horns on the RAV4?

·
Registered
387 Posts
You make a good point, but WHY does Toyota put normal horns on the Camry but meep-meep horns on the RAV4?
I would guess that that is based on what supplier is picked to provide parts for a model vehicle. And the supplier is probably using equipment that is decades old to make such a simple and unchanging part as a horn. And probably the tone of the horn was initially set by various regulations in various markets where the vehicle is exported to.

Are high tone horns that are common on European and Asian vehicles better? I'd say yes. Lower tones travel farther. That's why a ship or a train have a low tone air horn. High pitch tone at short distances is better as it has a higher intensity, but it won't travel miles.

Most situations where a horn is used are very short distance. As the point of the horn is usually to avoid collision. If someone is driving on the highway with the radio on, and starts merging into someone else, a high pitch tone has a better chance to be heard and distinguished over the low frequency highway rumble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just changed out the horns on my 2017 RAV4 hybrid limited using this post.
Worked great although scary pulling the top of the bumper loose.
Thanks much!

PSILOGENIC
your step by step was spot on for my vehicle!

rscot01
Thanks for starting the post!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts