Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic cover on my 2006 Rav4 remote is almost gone and it is hard to Luck/Unlock it now. I have seen same key/remote sold on Ebay but I need to cut it and place the remote module into the new key housing too; thta is no problem. but there is a chip that have to move to the new key and lots of people are referring to a video posted in Youtube which is showing how to remove it from old key and mount it again in new key. Is there any body here that knows where is that Video? I could not locate it in youtube. or any other guidance to help me with this.
Thank you for any input in advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got mine from amazon.
trick is whether you have an immobilizer or not.
if you do not (like myself) then you get the key, had to go to the dealer to get it cut, and he went out and programmed the new keys to the car with techstream. charged me $25 each for the keys and another $25 each to reprogram. Whole time I had to listen to him ramble on about inferior chinese knockoff keys then he found out he didn't have to go out and do the techstream after all because I didn't have an engine immobilizer, so he gave me $50bucks back. If I had someone else who would cut the key, I would go to them next time. You can program the remote with a door open/key turning pattern which will put it into learning mode and then you teach it about the FOBs.

Even with the annoying parts guy at the dealer, two keys from amazon approx $18 bucks plus the $25 to cut is a lot cheaper than the $95 per key from the dealer. Oh and they work fine by the way.

Discount Keyless Replacement 3 Button Automotive Keyless Entry Remote Control Transmitter Key Combo Compatible with Toyota Vehicles HYQ12BBY
by Discount Keyless
Link: http://amzn.com/B00L6XZU0A

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The plastic cover on my 2006 Rav4 remote is almost gone and it is hard to Luck/Unlock it now. I have seen same key/remote sold on Ebay but I need to cut it and place the remote module into the new key housing too; thta is no problem. but there is a chip that have to move to the new key and lots of people are referring to a video posted in Youtube which is showing how to remove it from old key and mount it again in new key. Is there any body here that knows where is that Video? I could not locate it in youtube. or any other guidance to help me with this.
Thank you for any input in advance.
does your 2006 even have a transponder? i think only the limited model had a transponder in 2006 here in the US...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got mine from amazon.
trick is whether you have an immobilizer or not.

Even with the annoying parts guy at the dealer, two keys from amazon approx $18 bucks plus the $25 to cut is a lot cheaper than the $95 per key from the dealer. Oh and they work fine by the way.

Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think so, when I open the remote/key case, I can see a small space on side filled with a black glue.
I believe mine has it too.
and another sign, I have a dot on my key.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
does your 2006 even have a transponder? i think only the limited model had a transponder in 2006 here in the US...
If my feeble memory serves, the immobilizer was mandatory on all 4.3 RAV4's built for the Canadian market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts