Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks. I'm new to the group. I recently purchased a 2008 V6 Limited. Love it! I live in Ottawa, Ontario. My RAV4 was made in Japan. Later that year they stated making them in Ontario. I bought the RAV4 to tow a Prolite Eco travel trailer made in Quebec. It's small - 12', 1000lbs. dry weight. I have a 4 point harness on my vehicle and there is a 7 pin on the trailer. The trailer does not have brakes. I have been using an adapter to run the trailer running lights. I was researching how to charge the trailer battery from the RAV4 while in transit, and came across a thread "Trailer Hitch - Wire to the battery" from July 21st, 2011. In this discussion, Dr. Dyno posted a link to Toyota's instructions for wiring a trailer harness, in particular a white wire which could be found up under to the left of the steering column with a female connector on the end that could be used to send power to the trailer. My understanding is that if you have the trailer prep. package, there is a slot for a 30amp fuse in the fuse box on the passenger side marked "Tow" connected to this wire. Happily my vehicle has the fuse slot, and the wire, and there's power to it if you put a fuse in! Woo hoo!

My plan is to cut off the 4 point plug and connect a 7 point plug in its place including a #12 wire back from the white wire to charge the trailer battery. Sound reasonable? Thoughts? Experiences?

** Dr. Dyno kindly answered a number of my email questions, and suggested I post to the forum in case there may be others looking to do the same thing. Thanks again. JimmyK

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Jimmy, what does the trailer battery power? And thanks for posting.

Instead of cutting the 4-flat off why not use a 4-to-7 adapter that plugs into the 4-flat and gives you the 3 extra wires as pigtails.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Jimmy, Princess Auto (reopened now) actually has a 4-to-7 adaptor coming on sale starting Tuesday, which will let you plug your existing adaptor in to power the lights. It also has brake and 12V power wires, no cutting required. Have a look for a flyer, but I think it’s on for $20.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, no cutting required - will use adapter. I am new to RVing. In my trailer I believe the battery would/can be used for the fridge, the blower for the propane furnace, and for interior lights. There is also a cigarette lighter type outlet. There is also an AC outlet. There is no Air Conditioner or Microwave. I have attached a picture of the fusebox which is pretty much a mystery. Electricity was never my strong suite. Trying to learn how it all works. J

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Your pictures are of your power converter/charger.
A camper has two power systems, 12VDC and 120AC, each with it's own input power cord, the 7-round for 12V and a 3-prong one, usually a large 30A one for 120V. With light loads it's run with an adapter for a standard 15/20A outlet.
The 120V cord is used where grid power is available such as at home or a campground. It powers the AC outlet, a microwave and A/C if you had them via the black breakers in the upper left corner, and the converter/battery charger for the 12V items you mentioned plus the interior lighting.
The fan in the center runs as needed to cool the charger. The green fuse strip on the right is for the various 12V circuits. The battery powers the 12V circuits but gets charged ASA 120V power is connected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts