Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old 05 Rav4 I always used a 140w power inverter to keep my work laptop charged. I picked up a 2016 Hybrid Rav4 at the end of last year because the 05 suffered catastrophic engine failure at 200,000 miles. I have been hesitant to run the inverter in the Hybrid for fear it would be a measurable load on the battery and drain it quicker causing my MPG to drop. Does anyone know what kind of load this would be on the battery? I think the laptop power adapter is 90 watt and the inverter is 140. Would it be like running an LED off a 9v battery, not much of a load, or would it have a decent load/impact on the battery?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
It'll depend on the state of charge in the laptop, but the load won't be anywhere near the ratings. Maybe 1 amp, 2-3 if the laptop is completely discharged.

I assume you're talking about running that while the system is on, not when the car is off. Unless you're sitting still it won't effect MPG in any noticeable way. The A/C compressor can draw more than that, much more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It'll depend on the state of charge in the laptop, but the load won't be anywhere near the ratings. Maybe 1 amp, 2-3 if the laptop is completely discharged.

I assume you're talking about running that while the system is on, not when the car is off. Unless you're sitting still it won't effect MPG in any noticeable way. The A/C compressor can draw more than that, much more.
Thanks for the reply, the laptop would be in different states of discharge, some times completely dead. It also has a larger capacity battery.

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts
Let's put this in perspective using some rough numbers. If the charger draws 90W when the laptop battery is low or dead and we allow for inefficiencies the total draw by the 140W inverter is probably around 110W. That's the equivalent of two 55W headlights. Given it'll taper off as the laptop gets charged but it's far more than an LED or all the LEDs in the car. The idle draw of the inverter would be more than that.

So the relative effect is about the same as leaving the headlights on. With the small 12V battery the hybrid has that certainly wouldn't be recommended when the car is parked. But could you measure the MPG loss of driving with the headlights on vs. off? I doubt it.

Reactions: cheesedoodle

·
Registered
229 Posts
On my old 05 Rav4 I always used a 140w power inverter to keep my work laptop charged. I picked up a 2016 Hybrid Rav4 at the end of last year because the 05 suffered catastrophic engine failure at 200,000 miles. I have been hesitant to run the inverter in the Hybrid for fear it would be a measurable load on the battery and drain it quicker causing my MPG to drop. Does anyone know what kind of load this would be on the battery? I think the laptop power adapter is 90 watt and the inverter is 140. Would it be like running an LED off a 9v battery, not much of a load, or would it have a decent load/impact on the battery?
I have been using a 200W inverter in my 2016 hybrid XLE for almost a year now without any issues. I'm more comfortable using it in the hybrid than in our 2011. I dont like using it in the 2011 because the engine is always running where as in the hybrid the engine is mostly off until the battery needs charging. That pretty much eliminates any worries about the effect on draining the hybrid battery. The effects on MPG are negligible, but I guess it depends on how much you are drawing. I am running a MAC, a Lenovo, and 2 phones and no issues to date.

On a side note, I've also read in a few places Prius owners using their cars in different situations like emergencies and camping power. Here is one article -----> Prius Owner Runs Power Inverter For Days After Storm | Inverters R Us

Also, I'm sure we covered this here too ---->http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/232881-running-power-off-battery.html

In any case, long story short I would not worry about the inverter and your hybrid just keep the car on:smile

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! To clarify i meant with the car on, i know the 12v battery is low capacity and i can imagine it could be drained quite quickly. On a similar topic, has anyone added a power outlet to the cargo area of the hybrid? I used to run the inverter off the cargo area power outlet in my 05.

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts
I let my Toshiba laptop battery run down to dead today so I could check the charging watt draw. Using my Kill-A-Watt meter I measured 85W draw while recharging the dead battery and running the computer with a pretty bright screen. Then it drops to 50W within 10 minutes as the battery comes up. Right now it's reading 30W after fully charging the battery. Putting it to sleep drops the draw to 7W.
So unless you are bringing the laptop to the car with a dead battery every time you'll have no concerns. And even if you did the drain would be acceptable and mileage loss unmeasureable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I let my Toshiba laptop battery run down to dead today so I could check the charging watt draw. Using my Kill-A-Watt meter I measured 85W draw while recharging the dead battery and running the computer with a pretty bright screen. Then it drops to 50W within 10 minutes as the battery comes up. Right now it's reading 30W after fully charging the battery. Putting it to sleep drops the draw to 7W.
So unless you are bringing the laptop to the car with a dead battery every time you'll have no concerns. And even if you did the drain would be acceptable and mileage loss unmeasureable.
Thanks for testing the draw like that! I can go back to charging it in the car instead of finding an outlet at all of my clients.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts