Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do the "homework" with the online manual to get the answer, but the manual can be a bit "convoluted" atand.. times..... My question is this: you take the vehicle out for a run, you come home later in the day.......can you simply plug it in ( mine will have the fast charger) and let it go and leave it plugged in till you need the vehicle the next day or maybe the day after? OR, must you unplug it after charging is complete? ....and, if it is ok to leave it plugged in, does that consume power from the 12v battery? I have a feeling that my dealer won't know those answers when I finally get the car!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I tried to do the "homework" with the online manual to get the answer, but the manual can be a bit "convoluted" atand.. times..... My question is this: you take the vehicle out for a run, you come home later in the day.......can you simply plug it in ( mine will have the fast charger) and let it go and leave it plugged in till you need the vehicle the next day or maybe the day after? OR, must you unplug it after charging is complete? ....and, if it is ok to leave it plugged in, does that consume power from the 12v battery? I have a feeling that my dealer won't know those answers when I finally get the car!
Yes.
This has been discussed a ton, and you are going to find a multitude of answers. Myself, I'm pretty much in the "it does not really matter" school. Toyota seems to suggest that you avoid keeping the battery fully charged for long periods of time. "Charge it, then use it." If I was leaving the car at home while I was away, I'd likely leave it at half charge, or lower, and not plug it in. Aside from that, just use it. There might be some merit in using the charging timer to charge just before you leave, assuming that fits with your life and cost to charge.

I don't think anyone has a clear answer on the 12v battery question yet. The manual is confusing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With my eGolf, I set the battery to charge to 80% and then stop, unless I was preparing for a long journey. I assume the R4P has a way to do this as well? I know opinions vary on this but if I'm just puttering around town and there is a chance avoiding full charge helps preserve the battery than I'd like to do that.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
97 Posts
I use it until it starts getting low then I plug it in to recharge. My EV range is still at 43 whenever I go to fully charge whereas I have heard some reports if this number decreasing. I do not know if is because of they way I charge or if their situation has learned that they only get the lower number.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
32 Posts
If you keep the car plugged in normally, it will cool or warm the battery to keep it at a healthy temperature (unless you've for some reason disabled that in the car's settings). The only situation where I would intentionally not leave the car plugged in is if I knew I wasn't going to be driving it for a week or more straight, in which case I would run it down to maybe 50% charge and then let it sit until I would need to use it again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you keep the car plugged in normally, it will cool or warm the battery to keep it at a healthy temperature (unless you've for some reason disabled that in the car's settings). The only situation where I would intentionally not leave the car plugged in is if I knew I wasn't going to be driving it for a week or more straight, in which case I would run it down to maybe 50% charge and then let it sit until I would need to use it again.
exactly... Never leave your car plugged in if you're going away for more than a day at a time... Otherwise, leaving it plugged in for a night or a full day is no problem. Toyota has that covered in its design, or they wouldn't have such a good battery-warranty policy.

·
Registered
2017 Prius Prime 2018 R4 Hybrid SE
42 Posts
The battery temperature is maintained for 3 days when plugged in, at that point the temperature control goes into hibernation if the vehicle is not in use in the US. In colder climates like Canada the temperature control is extended.

Keep you vehicle plugged in. I have had my Prius Prime plugged-in for 4 years and sometimes it does not get run for a week or more and have seen no degradation of the battery yet. I also have not had any 12 VDC battery issues ever when plugged in. I have had 12 VDC battery issues when not plugged and and warming/deicing car which I have posted about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use it until it starts getting low then I plug it in to recharge. My EV range is still at 43 whenever I go to fully charge whereas I have heard some reports if this number decreasing. I do not know if is because of they way I charge or if their situation has learned that they only get the lower number.
Oddly, mine tops out at an EV range of 47 or 48miles and the charge dial is slightly over 100%.. anyone think I should take this in for service?

·
Registered
2017 Prius Prime 2018 R4 Hybrid SE
42 Posts
Oddly, mine tops out at an EV range of 47 or 48miles and the charge dial is slightly over 100%.. anyone think I should take this in for service?
Range varies drastically depending on many variants. Driving style, temperature, driving conditions and many others. I have had my Prius Prime up to 36 miles on a certain route back and forth to work in the summer.

It would not hurt to ask, but system is not supposed to charge more than approximately 80% of total capacity which is viewed as 100% on the gauge or display. The only time I have seen this above 100% is if you are fully charged and you go downhill immediately it can add more charge during regen. Not sure what it will finally max out at, but I have heard reports of the ICE firing to slow the vehicle instead of using the regen to brake. Toyota would not allow the traction battery to overcharge.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the advice ! I have installed a Siemens Charge Point and I think it will communicate well the the Prime charger based upon what I read about what IT does and how the Prime charge system functions .....based upon that and what I have read above, my plan is to run the car, come home plug it in set a charge schedule on the vehicle which will charge it overnight......leave it plugged in till I'm ready to take it out again the next day or the day after. If I'm not going to use it for several days, I will not leave it plugged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts