Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello- Just bought a 2004 Rav4 for my daughters first car.....Car looks great and drives great. My only concern is that up until 2012 it spent its life in Michigan before making its way to Texas. Under the car has a fair amount of rust on it. I'm hoping there is something I can just spray all over the underside that will convert the rust and significantly slow down the rusting process. I know about POR 15 but there seems to be alot of surface prep involved and it needs to be brushed on. Is there a product I can spray on for better/easier coverage that is also effective?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I don't know what part of Texas you refer to, but the bit of rust on my VW Bug stopped progressing when I moved to the New Mexico high plains desert. Maybe your RAV will, too. POR does not require a lot of prep. Just make sure the surface is clean. Leave a patina of rust on the part. POR uses it somewhat to adhere, and neutralizes it anyway. And by all means, wear gloves! The stuff sticks like crazy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Fluid Film is my top recommendation: Fluid Film Undercoat kits
- I'm from the rust belt area, in Ontario...just North of MI.
undercoating with fluid film

I used POR15 during an antique restoration (1978 Silverado 4x4) - and I would never attempt to use it as an undercoating product.
^^ Just imagine the mess, get it on your bare skin, takes a week to wear off.

Rust in hidden areas, is just as critical to slow down as the obvious tin, that is easy to get to.
- proper wax oil undercoating jobs in Canada, is done with spray guns/wands from a hydraulic pump delivery system at 2500 psi (avoiding total oil mist, in garage), not paint brushes

·
Registered
73 Posts
here in the uk, he biggest car killer is rust (next to bad mechanics?!)

We generally have between 80~100% humidity and during winter months the roads are sprayed with salt and small gravels in the name of safety which means you cannot escape rust if you have anything made of steel on the car (or alloy)

If the rust is caused by just humidity and moisture, I would use a two stage rust proofing:

-a thin film rust inhibitor (check Dinitol). which is sprayed and on all exposed areas and also injected inside the box sections, doors etc

- Followed by a flexible thicker tar like substance which is flexible and protect the rust inhibitor.

- the inhibitor is soft and waxy, coats and saturates any rust present to neutralise it and the thicker coating add additional barrier + stops the inhibitor from being exposed and disappear.

If salt was also involved, then you need to first get rid of it before any treatment maybe just using the can for few months and washing it regularly and hosing all the underneath, box sections, doors, etc to get rid of dirt mud+ slat from any cracks then followed by the rust proofing routine

it is hard work but hopefully it is the first optio in your case:smile

1 - 6 of 6 Posts