Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Cheap Audio Plus 8" Display Upgrade with Corolla Radio

4998 Views 56 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  DrShadow
I love my 21 XLE Hybrid but I wanted the bigger screen. $1700 or whatever it was on Audio Plus from the factory was way too expensive so I passed on it and decided to upgrade the radio later.

If you go on eBay or car-part.com you might be able to find an audio plus radio for $500. I didn't want to get a possibly unreliable chinese radio so instead I decided to get a Corolla radio. I found one for $190 shipped and what do you know, it works! The only things that don't work are the connected services (don't care because I installed an aftermarket remote start anyway) and when I plug in my iPhone it says it's a Corolla not a Rav4. Even the hybrid stuff works and I know the radio came out of a gas corolla.

(Why does Toyota sell the corolla LE with a nice radio but you have to splurge to get that on a rav4???)

Interesting things I found while researching this radio upgrade:
  • Most modern toyotas use almost identical radio hardware even though the model numbers are slightly different
  • The only difference in firmware between the 86140-0R350 (7" base 2021 rav4 radio) and 86140-12610/02E70 (8" 2021 corolla radio) is the last few characters of the version number and the signature at the top of the file, everything else is identical
  • The mounting hardware is cross compatible, with one exception. There are 2 tabs at the back of the corolla radio that attach to the corolla harness that aren't on the 7" rav4 radio. Corolla radio fits fine in the rav4, but you may need to modify the rav4 radio a bit if you want to stick it in a corolla
  • I have not tested installing a radio without sirius XM or with HD radio or navigation, but it would surprise me if that didn't work. I also haven't tested installing a JBL radio but I've heard those don't have the built in amp at all, so would not suggest it
  • If you want to keep the actual radio and just replace the screen (i.e. you want carplay to say it's a rav4 or don't want to transfer your sirius subscription), it looks like the screens use the same ribbon cables to connect. However you'll have to swap the backplate as some of the screws go in different spots. I haven't tried this but it's probably just removing the 5 screws and disconnecting the antenna. Might be an option if you can find a cheaper radio with JBL or without sirius or from a 2019 model that doesn't have android auto.

Looks just like I bought the car with audio plus
Vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment Car Personal luxury car

Hybrid stuff works
Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Steering wheel

you'll have to remove the corolla mounting hardware and move the rav4 hardware onto it
Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Vehicle

Photograph Data storage device Hard disk drive Gas Font
Circuit component Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electronic instrument Bumper
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Might as well keep track of different radio models and add to this list as y'all find more radios that work
ModelCarBuiltManufacturerScreenSirius XMHD radioNavigationJBL
86140-0R3202019 Rav4CanadaPioneer7"
86140-426902019 Rav4JapanPioneer7"
86140-425202019 Rav4Fujitsu8"XX?X
86140-0R1612021 Rav4CanadaPioneer7"X
86140-0R3502021 Rav4USPioneer7"X
86140-126002021 Corolla hatchbackPioneer8"X
86140-126102021 CorollaUSPioneer8"X
86140-02E702021 CorollaJapanPioneer8"X

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. It looks like a good alternative for Chinese units. It costs around $400 on eBay and looks definitely better than 7" Rav4 oem. Mine model is slightly different 86140-0R161, but it should be similar to 86140-0R350
What does your vin start with? My rav was built in the US, they probably use a different model number for Japan-built ravs and maybe for Canada builds too.

Sound isn’t any better than the stock unit because it’s the same radio, but I’m more confident that this one will last 10+ years and it’s not $1000 like the alpine or pioneer nex

· Registered
2022 Hybrid SE
165 Posts
I've got unit today and installed it. Unit in perfect condition and everything works perfect except hybrid animation - it shows only one electric motor (definitely it has no idea about rav4 dual motor AWD).
Visually it looks light years ahead of factory 7'' unit. Support for android auto works fine. Sirius doesn't work because car has no antenna.
Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part Car

Some interesting effect found - unit won't show clock on home screen. They get stuck with message : Acuring GPS status, but sync with GPS is turned off and clock get shown in top bar on other screens. Not a big deal, but strange (may be because GPS antenna doesn't exists in car).

· Registered
2022 Hybrid SE
165 Posts
One more update for unit - knobs replaced by part 90010-23059 (14.71 CAD each here Shop OEM Toyota Parts & Accessories | Top Toyota Parts). Now it looks like this:
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle door

If some one interested in getting GPS antenna for 86140-12610 - this one will work (found on another forum) External GPS Antenna with SMB female for Verizon Samsung 3G Network Extender plus led light key chain : Amazon.ca: Electronics. It solved a problem with not showing clock on home screen (My SE has no GPS or XM antennas from factory).

This one might work as well but connector needs to be seriously modified:
Peripheral Amber Wood Audio equipment Font

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
2,245 Posts
I love my 21 XLE Hybrid but I wanted the bigger screen. $1700 or whatever it was on Audio Plus from the factory was way too expensive so I passed on it and decided to upgrade the radio later.

If you go on eBay or car-part.com you might be able to find an audio plus radio for $500. I didn't want to get a possibly unreliable chinese radio so instead I decided to get a Corolla radio. I found one for $190 shipped and what do you know, it works! The only things that don't work are the connected services (don't care because I installed an aftermarket remote start anyway) and when I plug in my iPhone it says it's a Corolla not a Rav4. Even the hybrid stuff works and I know the radio came out of a gas corolla.

(Why does Toyota sell the corolla LE with a nice radio but you have to splurge to get that on a rav4???)

Interesting things I found while researching this radio upgrade:
  • Most modern toyotas use almost identical radio hardware even though the model numbers are slightly different
  • The only difference in firmware between the 86140-0R350 (7" base 2021 rav4 radio) and 86140-12610/02E70 (8" 2021 corolla radio) is the last few characters of the version number and the signature at the top of the file, everything else is identical
  • The mounting hardware is cross compatible, with one exception. There are 2 tabs at the back of the corolla radio that attach to the corolla harness that aren't on the 7" rav4 radio. Corolla radio fits fine in the rav4, but you may need to modify the rav4 radio a bit if you want to stick it in a corolla
  • I have not tested installing a radio without sirius XM or with HD radio or navigation, but it would surprise me if that didn't work. I also haven't tested installing a JBL radio but I've heard those don't have the built in amp at all, so would not suggest it
  • If you want to keep the actual radio and just replace the screen (i.e. you want carplay to say it's a rav4 or don't want to transfer your sirius subscription), it looks like the screens use the same ribbon cables to connect. However you'll have to swap the backplate as some of the screws go in different spots. I haven't tried this but it's probably just removing the 5 screws and disconnecting the antenna. Might be an option if you can find a cheaper radio with JBL or without sirius or from a 2019 model that doesn't have android auto.
Thanks for the info. A few questions if I may:

1. What is the difference between the -12610 and the -02E70 radios. The first one seems to be about $200 less on Ebay.

2. Did your new radio come with the cover on the back of the screen? Or did you have to use the back screen cover (black plastic) from your old radio. Many of the ones I see on Ebay don't have the back of the screen covered, only the silver sheet metal.

3. There seems to be some variation on the screen surrounds, even for the same part number. This one seems to be most different with a trapezoid screen surround: Toyota Corolla 2020-2021 GPS Navigation Multi Media Touchscreen 86140-12610 Used OEM - December 2022 - 247carspares.com Would those with a different screen surround fit the RAV4?

4. Could you give a brief description of how to remove the original radio? Appears you start by removing the cover behind the radio at the top of the dash. Then what?

Thanks much.

· Registered
2022 Hybrid SE
165 Posts
1. It's hard to tell : 12610, 12611, 02E70, 02E71 looks the same and has same connectors as well. I would to consider 12540 as well - same unit with HD radio (in this case you will need HD radio antenna)
2. My one came with cover, but it needs to be removed because Corolla cover has different shape and way of mounting. You are using back cover and screen surround from existing unit. I had a problem with removing one cover bolt from existing unit and gently drill it head to remove. You can see those bolts on the last photo in the first post (rav4 unit is on the left).
3. Surrounding generally doesn't matter - most likely you have to use yours from existing unit. May be Corolla surrounding will work for you, but in my case it had too many scratches (screen was fine). Pictures on this listings strange - unit has no XM Radio logo.
from 3:30.

You have to use brackets from existing radio as well.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1. agreed, it's hard to tell. I think 12610 is what comes with US built Corollas and 02E70 comes with Japan built Corollas, but as far as I know they work exactly the same.

4. Remove the cover behind the radio. That exposes 4 10mm bolts. Remove those bolts. Pull the radio forward and the clips will release from the dash

Pictures on this listings strange - unit has no XM Radio logo.
I saw a few of those too. I think the Corolla L just doesn't come with XM. It's up to you whether you want it or not. A radio without it may or may not be cheaper, and I don't think you'll have a problem installing it, although the XM antenna will just hang down behind the radio because there won't be anywhere to plug it in

· Registered
2022 Hybrid SE
165 Posts
I saw a few of those too. I think the Corolla L just doesn't come with XM.
In this case it should be different model number. If they managed to assign different model numbers for the same unit - XM/No XM definitely worth separate model numbers.

Generally - what the bunch of idiots. They created million of different models when they can ended with basically 2 models: basic 7", advanced 8" (same basic with 8" screen) and premium JBL with universal software for the whole lineup (software now looks the same but it's vehicle specific).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts