Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me but I like the looks of a hidden bar tow hitch. So I did my research and I think I've found the cheapest one made for Rav4.4 that fits the Ra4.3. It's almost bolt on but you have to cut a little piece of your bumper for 2011. I've seen one who did this in e-trailer and the guy have a 2007 and he did not mention cutting a piece of the bumper.... or maybe I just missed it.

The model is Draw-tite 76134. I bought mine on ebay for $115.70 shipped e-trailer sells this too.

I have tons of pix to share but this is only my 2nd post and I am not yet allowed to post pix and links.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also installed this hitch, based on this recommendation. I have a 2010 Rav4. In my particular case, I drilled holes in it 0.75 inches away from the existing holes so it does not extend as far out. With the factory holes, when installed, the hitch would be just about even with the center of the back bumper. I wanted mine recessed so I would not hit my knee on it.
I also drilled a center bolt on the passenger side up through the floor. There is no center mounting bolt on the Rav4 on the passenger side.
I also cut down some of the sheet metal where the body is welded to the chassis. It was a little to close because I moved it further under by 3/4 inch.
So it can be done fine. In my case it was not simply a bolt on 2 hour task, but it turned out perfect.

One more comment. the threads in those factory installed frame inserts ( that the bolts for the hitch go into) can be a lot of work. I was able to get them working without a tap, but it was difficult. I cut slots in a screw and used it as a tap.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I like the looks of that! My big concern is departure angle - I go off the beaten path at times too (or curb hopping) and have clanged my U-Haul a couple times. It’s especially noticeable when I’m on a construction site, crossing ditches, kind of a pain. Got a fantastic approach angle on these, even stock, but my class 3 really curs my departure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts