Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take one used cardboard roll from shipping tape or masking tape with an inside diameter of about 3" ....put three wraps of double faced tape on the inside circumference of that roll, then wrap the roll with electrical tape at 90 degrees from top to bottom on the cylinder to reduce the inside diamater and increase the outside diameter.....it then makes the cylinder smooth and relatively fluid proof...also looks better

It fits 20 oz plastic bottles, standard 12 oz soda cans , and coffee mugs that have a small base.

All this for about $1.29 in materials...all royalties for this ingenious and valuable solution should not be given to your favorite charity, instead just skip the middle man and mail directlly to me.

C

·
0 Posts
Any chance of taking a picture and showing us just how bad or tacky this looks? Or does it look decent?

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
If the friction of the Cup on the RAV Ring is greater than the friction of the RAV Ring on the Cup Holder...when you lift your hand you will have both together, just sip and replasce in Cup Holder!
:lol: :lol: :lol: RAV Ring!

G

·
0 Posts
haha

hahaha! Good job! Why are the cupholders so terrible in the new Ravs?! That's the only thing I don't like about the car..so far. :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone contacted Toyota directly? They usaully do a better job of design. No one at the factory ever drove this SUV with hot coffee in a mug before they put it into production and that's for sure.

Some one provide an email contact at Toyota and we should (if you care) bombard them with a demand for a real tooled sleeve that fixes this design shortcoming.

We should send them the link to my site, perhaps it will cost them enough face so they will respond!

P

·
0 Posts
Do we know if the cupholder is this size in other countries? I wonder if this was Toyota's responding to the general idea that "Americans love their Big Gulp/Bladder Busters".

J

·
0 Posts
Just today I was at Target, looking for a rubber matt to protect the floor mats (i have a major pivot heel, that tore threw my old floormat in my old car like nothing!). While I had no luck with that, I did find a very cheap solution to our cupholder dilemas...

It was $0.99 and a cheap plastic cupholder insert.. with a Square hook at the top. I used my dremel and cut off the U hook, and just squeezed the cupholder insert into place. The squeeze was nice because I know its staying put, but it has more sturdy extender "arms" to keep bottles of water in place etc.

I still actually have to drive with something in there to see how it works out, but for .99 i figured it was worth a shot ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
RAV4ever said:
Has anyone contacted Toyota directly? They usaully do a better job of design. ....We should send them the link to my site, perhaps it will cost them enough face so they will respond!
Maybe you should make your site sound a little more embarrassing :oops:, like "cheap fix for Toyota's cheap cupholder design"; or maybe put something like, "I find it hard to believe that Toyota Engineers came up with this"

Better yet, they should know about potential hazards....maybe say something like loose cup of hot coffee spills on lap, causing accident...

Maybe they'll issue a recall :lol: :lol: :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
Phourwheel said:
Better yet, they should know about potential hazards....maybe say something like loose cup of hot coffee spills on lap, causing accident...
Yes, its poor design - but if anyone causes an accident because an inappropriately stowed hot drink spills, its their fault, not Toyota's. You're in charge of the vehicle - its your responsibility to ensure its operated safely.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Baron G said:
Yes, its poor design - but if anyone causes an accident because an inappropriately stowed hot drink spills, its their fault, not Toyota's. You're in charge of the vehicle - its your responsibility to ensure its operated safely.

Awww c'mon Baron von serious... The goal is to have them redesign (even using the 4.2 one will work) them.... Maybe too late for those who already own a 4.3, but hey, not too late for those who wait.... Okay so they probably will not bother to do anything about it, but there is really no harm in trying.

But since you're being "serious" about it. Read the polls about what people want changed in the 4.3, it is quite apparent that that the cupholders are on top of the list.... I find it hard to believe that you would blame a driver for "trusting" the Toyota designers by placing their cups in the "cupholders".... And while I was trying to inject a little humor in my statement, you'll have to admit that a cup of hot coffee spilling or possibly popping out and scalding the driver is indeed a potential hazard. Even having hot coffee spilled on your foot could cause you to be distracted enough to get you into trouble. Hopefully it won't take an unfortunate incident to make Toyota interested enough. By the very term itself, the cupholder is supposed to "hold" the cup. So maybe they sould rename it to "cup tray" or "loose, unreliable cup semi-holder" or something.

Thus, our desire for a modification of the current cupholder design is based on the numerous complaints already posted in this beloved forum. Hence, any improvement will be mutually beneficial to both Toyota and the customers.

Cheers!

B

·
0 Posts
Too funny, phourwheel, too funny!

Hey, jkat, can you post any pictures of what you bought? Can it easily be inserted and removed so that the "cupholder" can still be used for Big Gulps? Thanks

B

·
0 Posts
Hey - I'm not saying Toyota shouldn't redesign them. They should - they're currently useless. But they are so obviously useless that if someone's drink gets spilt, they've only themselves to blame. It would be hard to argue you didn't realise it would happen.

Maybe its a British thing - I just don't get the facination with cup holders over here. Then again, back home you can get done for eating an apple while driving :shock:

·
Registered
132 Posts
bcbob said:
Too funny, phourwheel, too funny!
Funny? Nay, 'tis a serious, matter....:lol: :lol:

Baron G said:
Hey - I'm not saying Toyota shouldn't redesign them. They should - they're currently useless. But they are so obviously useless that if someone's drink gets spilt, they've only themselves to blame. It would be hard to argue you didn't realise it would happen.

Maybe its a British thing - I just don't get the facination with cup holders over here. Then again, back home you can get done for eating an apple while driving :shock:
Just kidding, Baron.... I think we all know that the cupholder thing is just a big "annoyance", much like the 4.2's dash rattle... but I guess I'm just being selfish here.... hoping that they'll fix all the kinks by the time I decide to upgrade..... But then again it's like saying you'll wait for the "perfect" computer to be built before you buy one..... or like waiting for the bug-free version of Windows.....

:cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts