Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody. I bought a Rav 4 for my 16 yrs old daughter. She save $ for 3-4 yrs for it. We went and bought it together from a so call mechanic Its a 2003 Rav4 sport with 84000 miles. Her first car, drove it home and check engine light came on at only 174 miles Went to a garage told, me code P0420 + P403 is causing the check light. They turned it off and it came back on 165 miles later same codes P402+ P403. Is this a bad catalytic converter that we will now have to buy for $1300 from Toyota, plus labor. She's crushed. Former owner payed $1500 for a Toyota ECU in June 2015. He says it the just O2 sensors @ $50 each. Thanks any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
It might be worthwhile to try first with new O2 sensors and determine whether that solves the problem before buying a catalytic converter. Don't know whether your member profile is correct, but if the problem is the catalytic converter those which will fit RAV4s can be obtained online for a lot less than $1300. If installation can be a DIY project that would save the labor cost, and in any event an independent shop most likely could install it for much less than a Toyota dealer would charge.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. My RAV also had the dreaded P0420 and sometimes the P0430 codes trigger every now and then. I purchased an OBDII reader from Amazon for $18.00 and would reset the them. The first time the codes went off Toyota told me to drive on the Autobahn at a higher speed for 15-20minutes to clean out the cat. This took care of the problem for about 8 months then the codes started going off every 1-3 weeks. I finally got tired of resetting the codes and had the cat replaced. I took mine to my Toyota dealer but it cost me 750 Euro which is about $830.00. Of course that was with out tax. I also asked about the O2 sensors but Toyota told me the codes are for the cat since the O2 sensors have a differant code(?). Since it was replaced I have had (knock on wood) no more codes pop up. You may want to check an independant garage to see what they charge, it would probably be cheaper than Toyota. And as another poster said, try the cheaper options first.

Good luck

·
Registered
934 Posts
Part Price Quantity Total Remove
Click to Jump to This Car in the Part Catalog2003 TOYOTA RAV4 2.0L L4
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogExhaust : Catalytic Converter
DORMAN 674593 {#2505128080, 2505128081, 2505128260} Hardware: 2 Studs, 2 Nuts, 9 Bolts, 9 Washers; Gaskets: 1 Manifold & 1 Flange Manifold Converter
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. (Not legal for sale or use in California; Not legal for sale or use in New York for vehicles with CA emissions)
Oxygen (O2) Sensor(s) should be inspected or replaced whenever replacing the catalytic converter. Old oxygen (O2) sensors can send slower/weaker signals to the engine control module (ECM computer), which it may interpret as a lean condition. The engine control module (ECM computer) will then add additional un-needed fuel, which can destroy a new catalytic converter.
$289.79
$289.79 Remove Part
Subtotal $289.79
Discount -$14.49
Shipping: (You should receive by Monday, October 26) $19.01
Total $294.31

RockAuto Parts Catalog

If you can't do the work call and get bids from 3 ind shops Midas etc..

Auto Repair Estimates - Get Honest Car Repair Costs

Labor: $90 - $114

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses. What is the difference between these to 2 codes if any. Is there a dedicated fault code for just the 02 sensors. 2 different repair shops reset the P0402 -P403 faults at the mileages above. Both shops said the former owner probably turned off the check engine light with a cheap ODB reader, or disconnected the battery for an hour to make the check engine light go out, before we arrived to look at the car. It is against the law in New Hampshire to sell a car with a defective cat. I have no problem buying 2 O2 sensors to solve this problem and get my kids car to pass inspection. This is not about money. This is a possible Ethical issue. I called the Toyota dealer who installed the $1500 ECU. There was a customer service representatives name on the invoice. He told me to check + see the gas cap was tight and then turn the key on-off 20 times and drive the car for a day or so to see if the light goes out. Then, he said take it from there if it doesn't go out. This Toyota dealer is 100 miles away from where we live. Both shops that reset the light recommend NOT to buy an aftermarket converter if it comes to that. Thought on that??? Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
when I had my catalytic converter replaced, the dealer warned me that an O2 sensor or two might break when removing them. And he was right (or I was robbed), two broke as they tried to remove them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have never replaced an oxygen sensor for a cat code.

The EGR system is difficult to diagnose if you don't know how it works. A common problem is the EGR solenoid.

You don't HAVE to buy a dealer cat. There are decent aftermarket cats available.

This is probably why the vehicle was sold. The previous owner spent enough money.

Reactions: sweet 16

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank You Fixit. Which after market cat do you recommend. Ive been told to think twice on buying after market. Im going to have the O2 sensor output voltage checked like in "Steve's the car guy video", at shop, to see if it stays around the proper voltage. Or, if its jumping around like in that video. Which means its definitely is the cat, nothing else? I just feel like I let my kid down. And the owner lied knew all along + sold the car with a bad cat right in front of both of us. If the car was for me, Id take my licking and move on. But its my kid's $. She counted it out and gave it to him.
Thanks for any help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts