Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
21pro said:
405,000 miles on my '01 Rav4 and had CEL issues since about 27,000 miles.

2 catylitic converters later and numerous resetting and 1 reprogramming and I still have the CEL issue.

I guess I've learned to live with it. At +400,000miles you begin to take it with a grain of salt. My vehicle has never broke down and still has good compression, passes bi-annual mandatory emmissions tests, so other than the CEL, it still runs fine.
that's pretty amazing millage, this is most important that car never broke down. Did you do any special maintenance or just got lucky?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Check engine light now on and also...

well i must say, i never thought this would happen to me, 50,000km without any trouble and now the check engine light is now on and wont go off. The strange thing also is that the fuel level needle fluctuates alot. If i start the car and its at 1/4 tank, and move off from a stop fast it goes up to 1/2 and if i brake up hard it goes right back down to 1/4 tank. Its as if the movement of the fuel in the tank is directly affecting the movement of the guage. I am tempted to just disconnect the battery and try a reset, after all the dealer is saying JMD $5000.00 just to check the codes ie USD $90.00 but i am not sure, what do you guys think. Ever seen anything like this before??
PS. i checked the gas cap, almost broke the damn thing off trying to make sure it was secure.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I think that you have 2 unrelated issues -

1. the ECU codes need to be read... just pay the $ and ask for a discount if they do any work to fix the problem...

2. Fuel movement will make the gauge move... as you brake heavily the fuel moves forwards in the tank (towards the sending unit) so the sensor reads that as more fuel, when you accelerate, the fuel moves away from the sender - showing less fuel....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
as it relates to the ECU codes i understand but the fuel one is a bit funny. I understand what you are saying but what i mean is, you actullay see the need move from 1/2 to 1/4, as in its not a slow movement like in other cars, its as if within 1 second the needle will move from 1/4 up to 1/2 and as soon as you break within 1 second it will move from 1/2 to 1/4 just like that..

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Hi everybody...
I just bought a 2003 rav4 4wd 3 days ago, driven only 57000 kms by a little old lady( thats true cause i talked to her before buying...)only to notice on the the way home from the dealer that the check engine light had come on. HHMMMMM....... i guess i gotta call the dealer and arrange a visit.
BTW i love your website, lots a good info here.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
hi all
got back from the dealer and they said it flashed a code P1349... VVT control assembly.... anyone else have a similar prob/ and its not covered on the powertrain warrnty, i just searched the site and havent found anything on it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
resuurection of the dead huh?..lol.. well how did u finally solve the problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My check engine light came on very similar to the rest of y'all. I have replaced O2 sensors but not the cat. converter. I wish I had known of all these issues before the warranty ran out. I am at 191k miles now and have replaced the tranny with a rebuild at 177k miles. I love my RAV and want to keep it as long as possible. The codes have been telling me it's my cat. converter since well back in 2008...it's 2012 now. The check engine light stays on. I can't afford a new car nor a new cat. converter. I guess I am just S.O.L.:shrug:

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
My check engine light came on very similar to the rest of y'all. I have replaced O2 sensors but not the cat. converter. I wish I had known of all these issues before the warranty ran out. I am at 191k miles now and have replaced the tranny with a rebuild at 177k miles. I love my RAV and want to keep it as long as possible. The codes have been telling me it's my cat. converter since well back in 2008...it's 2012 now. The check engine light stays on. I can't afford a new car nor a new cat. converter. I guess I am just S.O.L.:shrug:
It's possible to buy a much less expensive aftermarket cat. converter and have it installed by a muffler shop, rather than buying the pricey Toyota OEM part. I tried cutting and pasting a Google html page which lists a number of suppliers but was unsuccessful, but you can do it simply by typing "Toyota RAV4 catalytic converter" on your browser search line.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So...how do you reset check engine light without a scan tool..and how do you you reset ecu/ecm for a 2002 and are their advantages for resetting ecu/ecm ????

·
Registered
25 Posts
If anything, just buy a $11 bluetooth OBDII dongle on Amazon. Download the free version of the Torque app and have a whole slew of info at your fingertips while being able to read and clear codes with ease.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's a Utube vid out there explaining how to put spacers on the lower 02 sensor-I had replaced the sensors but not the cat(s) 'cause I didn't think that was the issue-I tried the spacer trick and it has worked--I just left the eng lite on and it went out after 3-4 days and hasn't come back on (yet) this has been a couple months now. Code was P0420. In the vid they use two spacers but that doesn't work on my '97 so I just used one-was skeptical but it's worked so far--
The spacers have something to do with syncing the wave output of the sensors---good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine has been on for a long time... was told it was an oxygen sensor by mechanic. I personally haven't seen much difference in fuel (and I do track it).

81 - 97 of 97 Posts