Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased a 2005 Rav4L last Saturday. After 22 miles, yes 22 miles, the check engine light came on. I added an aftermarket "Stant" locking gas cap in place of the standard gas cap. I have done this on every Toyota I have owned (1983, 1989, and 1999 models). :roll: Ran it by the dealer and he advised that the aftermarket gas cap was the cause?

Question to all you Ravers is has anyone had the same problem? I will replace the locking cap back with the original one and see what happens.

Any all comments are welcome.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Shorty

·
Registered
69 Posts
In old Toyota models, if a non-critical problem does not reappear in 3 continuous driving cycles, the Check Engine light will turn off itself, but the trouble code P0440 is kept in ECM unless you remove power for ECM. Not sure whether your new model is the same as the old one. You can put back the original cap and drive for a few days to see what will happen if you have no a scan tool to read DTC.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gas cap

Funny I just noticed this yesterday when filling my RAV at a gas station, but there is a tiny little warning label on the gas cap that says something like "you must replace the gas cap and turn it until it "clicks" or you may see the check engine light come on". Or something to that effect. Maybe your new cap doesn't click into place like the standard one and makes the warning light come on.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The only thing the "click" does is act like the click of a torque wrench, it lets you know the gas cap is tightened enough.

Now when you took it to the dealer, did he use a code reader to determine the fault code, or did he just see the new gas cap and assume it was the cause?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff et al.

My wife took the vehicle to the dealer where they attached it to a machine. I am assuming they detected the problem by a code and then narrowed it down visually to the after market gas cap.

Either way I replaced the original cap and it's running fine now. Hope that’s the end of that. Returned the OEM cap to Wal Mart and got my money back... life is good. :wink:

BTW I visually inspected and measured both caps with a caliper and they seemed identical.

Who knows maybe this is one of life’s mysteries...

Thanks for your time and feed back. :D

Shorty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts