Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

261 - 280 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
7/14 Update:

I replaced upstream AF sensor by myself. Cost me $80 to buy new parts and took me 10 minutes to replace. Real easy.
Reset the dashboard with a Code reader and drove around 40~50miles. And boom! got the lights back on the dashboard....
Went to Autozone to check if it still reads as O2 Sensor. Nope. now I have Catalytic Converter issue......
Parts are really expensive and labor is even more,....
And I'm not even sure which part to get. Some people say you can go with non-OEM parts, some people say otherwise...
If anyone can give me some advice, it would be very helpful...
I tried to find a previous thread showing how to replace catalytic converter with pictures, but no luck. If anyone can find it, please share....

Thanks, everyone.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Hi, newbie here and wanted to share my experience.

Model: 2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Limited - Symptom: CEL + VSD + 4WD lit

Perhaps coincidence or really bound to fail but costs ~ CA$1300 to repair (CA$500 labor) at dealer :(

Dealer Diagnosis:
1. Used TECHSTREAM and found code for ignition coil "A" swapped coils, and roadtested vehicle, misfire jumped to
with bad coil. Please see ASR
2. Replace all three ignition coils on back bank
3. Replace spark plugs N/C with ignition coils

Switching back to Shell even if it may not have caused issue.
Did they actually charge you that much??? Coil failures are quite common on the 2006 V6s but they are less than $50 each and take maybe an hour to replace.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Nope. now I have Catalytic Converter issue......
Parts are really expensive and labor is even more,....
If the code is Catalyst below efficiency
I used successfully on a Civic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes :(

Labor:
C$139.00 - Diagnostics
C$389.20 - Ignition Coil
C$0.00 - NO Charge Spark Plug Replacement

Parts:
C$499.92 - 3 Ignition Coils
C$107.70 - 6 Spark Plugs
C$61.38 - Gasket

Misc:
C$30.00 Shop Supplies

Total excl tax C$1227.20

Did they actually charge you that much??? Coil failures are quite common on the 2006 V6s but they are less than $50 each and take maybe an hour to replace.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Yes :(

Labor:
C$139.00 - Diagnostics
C$389.20 - Ignition Coil
C$0.00 - NO Charge Spark Plug Replacement

Parts:
C$499.92 - 3 Ignition Coils
C$107.70 - 6 Spark Plugs
C$61.38 - Gasket

Misc:
C$30.00 Shop Supplies

Total excl tax C$1227.20
So, My wife calls me this morning while I'm 1.5 hours away tuning Harleys. "The CE, ABS & 4WD lights are on and the engine is running rough. Is it safe to drive?" Immediately a bad ignition coil comes to mind so I say, "Yes."
I get home with the dyno pull out the $25 Actron Pocket Scanner that stays in the car so she can read & report codes while I'm away on my two-week trips. It displays P0306. Reset it. The lights go off but the engine still runs rough. Grab a 10mm ratchet and my last spare coil. This one's easy, the right front one facing the engine. Five minutes later it's swapped in and the engine is smooth again. Ordered two new ones for spares from AM Autopart on eBay for $20.54 each. Actually used the link I posted FOUR years ago. Ignition Coil for Camry Highlander Rav4 Sienna Venza ES350 RX350 RX450H 3.5L | eBay
Wow, even with the exchange rate my cost was less than our Canadian friend paid for Shop Supplies. :egad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lights are gone with Premium Gas

I had these lights came on started about a year back (after Toyota recall about oil burning in 2007 RAV4) - dealer said need O2 sensors to replace and costs about $385, but not critical to change.
Once I had engine light came on my 2006 Accord - code shows Catalytic Converter issue - mechanic suggested to try Premium gas for couple of times - it went away. and whenever I get that light I used to go for Premium gas. I have followed the same for Rav4 also. Now, no more lights. But, as soon an I fill regular gas, lights will come in about 50 miles drive. I am not sure what's real issue - but wanted to avoid filling premium gas as I am driving a lot now a days.... any suggestions without spending too much money??

Thanks, Sampy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question:

My CEL, VSC, and 4WD lights are going on and off on my 2008 RAV4 Limited. More consistently over the last week they've been on. Yesterday they were off for most of the day. I had a scan done at an auto parts store last week, and it read that the ignition coil was malfunctioning, but wasn't too detailed. Nothing came up for the brakes, but I'm assuming that possibly nothing would with that kind of a scan or this is something that needs to be looked at independently. I'm getting an OBDII scan tomorrow.

I would just like some insight as to how much this should cost should it be ignition coil and spark plugs. I have a mechanic friend that will do the job as opposed to the garage I go to. Unfortunately garages often try to hustle females thinking we don't know what we are talking about. I'd like to have as much info as possible.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Welcome Lorraine!
An OBDII scan is the same thing the AP store did. What you need is the code(s) that were read. The next step is to clear them and see what comes back first. Very likely your friend has a reader and will do just that.
Also you haven't said if you have a V6 or a 4 cylinder and what miles the car has on it. The 2006 & early 2007 V6s did have ignition coil issues but I've never heard of it on an '08.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question:

Code P0356 came up on OBDII scanning my 2008 RAV4 Limited V6 / 80k miles. Ignition coil has been replaced as well as spark plugs. CEL, VBS, 4WD lights STILL on after changing. What's happening?

·
Registered
5 Posts
For the 2nd time this year my CEL/VBS/4WD lights have come on my 2006 Limited V4. The only constant was that these lights both appeared after I parked at a park-and-ride at the airport while I was out of town.

After the first instance in April, the lights cleared themselves after about 1 week. I just picked my car up this morning and the lights are on again. I haven't had a chance to run my new OBDII device on the car yet, but I'm curious if there would be any environmental issues at the park-and-ride that would result in these lights coming on twice this year. Both trips the car was there for 3 nights/4 days. I've otherwise never had this combination of lights in the 12 months I've had the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
goobers;2476129. said:
The only constant was that these lights both appeared after I parked at a park-and-ride at the airport while I was out of town...... I'm curious if there would be any environmental issues at the park-and-ride that would result in these lights coming on twice this year. .
Maybe someone is stealing your gas and leaving the cap loose. That would cause your symptoms.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe someone is stealing your gas and leaving the cap loose. That would cause your symptoms.
That thought definitely crossed my mind and I took a photo of my gas tank levels when I parked the car this time. As far as I could tell, no major amount of gas was siphoned, but it's still possible.

The keys are held inside an office at the park and ride, so I'm guessing it's an inside job, as there are no tool marks or signs of forced entry to the gas tank cover.

I've tried resetting my gas cap, but that hasn't reset the lights. If someone was stealing gas, what would get the lights to turn off? Time? screwing the gas cap back on? Something else?

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
We could keep on guessing but maybe let's just see what the scanner says happened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So of course my lights cleared themselves before I could run the OBD. In any case, the only error that Torque found after the fact was P0138.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Low Rumble in rear end, o2 sensor, VSC, 4WD lights

Hello,

Purchased a 2007 rav4 sport 4WD, 3.5L v6 to fix up, got everything done, Check engine, 4WD and VSC lights are on, pulled codes, changed a/f sensor (bank 2 sensor 1) all the lights are off, everything works. While Driving at any consistant speed over 30 I get a crazy low end rumble from the right rear end every 20 sec. for about 10 sec. ( sounds like your driving on highway rumble strip) disconnected the sensor, lights back on, vehicle drives great & no rumble noise. thoughts? I'm told these lights have been on for 4 years, so the VSC, 4x4 and cruise control have not been working in a long time. essentially when these lights are on the car is stuck in FWD, so these parts have been sitting a loooooong time. thoughts?

Thanks!
Ahousejump

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,

Purchased a 2007 rav4 sport 4WD, 3.5L v6 to fix up, got everything done, Check engine, 4WD and VSC lights are on, pulled codes, changed a/f sensor (bank 2 sensor 1) all the lights are off, everything works. While Driving at any consistent speed over 30 I get a crazy low end rumble from the right rear end every 20 sec. for about 10 sec. ( sounds like your driving on highway rumble strip) disconnected the sensor, lights back on, vehicle drives great & no rumble noise. thoughts? I'm told these lights have been on for 4 years, so the VSC, 4x4 and cruise control have not been working in a long time. essentially when these lights are on the car is stuck in FWD, so these parts have been sitting a loooooong time. thoughts?

Thanks!
Ahousejump
Hello, New on the forums but I've been lurking long time...

Anyways, I have this same issue and many more!
As for the low grumble, I think it sounds like a plastic cover flapping under the car cuz I've had that before and fixed it with simple zip ties, but it just will not go away and I can't find any loose flappers. It happens around 35MPH and seems to be influenced by heavy wind. Recently, It's added a clunking noise when going 5 MPH and you let off the gas.

My guess is this is related to the rear differential. I've noticed some fluids have leaked out of there. I tightened up the bolts, leaking stopped, but I"m guessing I need more fluid in there and haven't gotten to this yet.

As for the light being on? I've had mine on for 4 years also! Nothing, and I mean nothing, will get rid of them. I have replaced O2 and A/F sensors and they keep coming on. I've cleaned MAF sensor, Throttle body, Changed plugs, changed VVT. Nada!

Dealer wants $100 just to hook it up and diagnose what I already know. No Thanks!

I bought an bluetooth OBDII for $10 bucks, and a MiniVCI cable with Techstream for $15.
What I have learned from these:
Everything looks like it's working as expected, except when driving and I release the gas pedal, car goes into open loop, the A/F voltage goes up to 5.0V until you press back on the gas, and after a few times it throws up P2195 (O2 sensor signal stuck lean for bank 1 sensor 1). It comes back on before I even complete a 2-drive cycle.

Anyways, now my inspection is due and I need to get the lights to stay off!

Does anyone have any ideas?!
Thanks to the community...
Jeff K.

261 - 280 of 363 Posts