Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
new Rav4 owner.....2007 Sport v6 139k miles 2wd auto...purchased from a family member who purchased new

check engine light, VSC light and picture of a vehicle with squiggly lines came on as soon as I tried to drive home (178 miles)

took to AP store and gave a code of P2401 as well as others all relating to the evap canister.

per the relative who has had the car serviced on schedule, when the water pump was changed out this month, all codes were cleared. these codes have been on for over a year with no issues and thus the problem is with the computer not the evap canister. In addition, as i drove further, the brake light {!} came on which goes back to the family member's conclusion of computer error vs part errors.

my question is this...is there a specific code for when the gas cap is not secure or is that just the first thing to check? i did check that after reading this forum and i plan to replace the cap as i really don't get a definitive click when locking down (at least not like I do on my other two non-toyota vehicles).

really looking to get rid of this low-end toyota (prior Lexus owner (LS & RX) so not at all impressed with the Rav4....sorry :frown

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the jumper method (and clearing of the codes with the brake) works on any other makes of cars such as Volvo? I didn't know if this was a standard type thing or just toyota.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the jumper method (and clearing of the codes with the brake) works on any other makes of cars such as Volvo? I didn't know if this was a standard type thing or just Toyota.
I highly doubt it would be the same on other makes or even work on many other Toyotas. Whereas OBDII codes are universal for emissions reasons these "jumper" ones have to do with many systems that likely vary quite a bit from make to make and model to model.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ah dang, was hoping to clear an airbag light on a volvo...guess it will stay on longer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The CEL, VSC, and 4WD lights all came on this morning in my 2007 Rav (135,000 miles). I restarted the car to see if the lights would go off with no luck. I decided to drive, hoping the lights would turn off, but when I turned right I heard a loud pop come from the rear passenger side of the car. At this point I got scared and turned back home and took the other car to work.
The last time my Rav was driven before this morning it was snowing, though not heavily. It has also been pretty cold here recently - this morning when I started it up it was -4F. The car was in the garage last night, but my garage doesn't stay that much warmer than outside.
I plan on checking the gas cap and poking around under the hood when I get home, but I don't know a lot about cars, so I feel pretty limited in what I can do myself. Should I bother getting a OBDII sensor or should I just go ahead and take it into the dealer? If it was just the lights, I would be less concerned, but the lights combined with the loud pop... I love my Rav and hate the thought of something being wrong with it.
If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Welcome!
The loud pop from the rear sounds like a sway bar link breaking. Nothing to do with the dash lights and no worries, I had it happen on mine but didn't know it until the dealer pointed out that they were broken on both sides when I had the car in for other service. Replaced them myself for minimal cost and didn't notice any difference.

There is no such thing as an OBDII sensor, an OBDII reader yes, and I recommend everyone have one. But if you're not into the codes it's likely best to have them read and reset at an auto parts store. Most any of them will do it free and explain the results to you. The dealer would probably hit you with a diagnostic fee to do the same thing and many use it to start on a big bill.

Meantime it's very likely safe to drive the car since most CEL (OBDII) codes only have to do with emissions not something really wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all - can't say I have read thru all 29 pages on this topic to see if my situation is in here, but I did read the first several really informative posts. Speaking at least for myself, I really appreciate those active members that take the time to help those like me with aggravating, and typically pretty simple questions. It is a great help.

My situation isn't all that unusual from others in this thread:
2010, 4 cyl, about 104,500 miles.

About a week ago, I changed the air filter. In that process, i bumped loose about a 1" or so diameter hose just off the upper left of the air filter housing. I slid the hose back in. When I started up the RAV, I noticed the notorious warning light trio was on - the CEL, 4WD, and VSC. I have had this occur before, but sometime back and I forgot how I handled it. May have then also had to do with changing the air filter. In any case, thru some research, I foound that changing the filter and bumping loose that hose will cause those 3 lights to come on. But supposedly they go off after a few days. Mine have remained on for about 5 or 6 days now however. For grins, I ran by AutoZone for them to do a reading, and it showed P0101 replace MAF sensor. I suspect it is just because of the filter change and hose coming loose. And AZ quoted me about $108 for a MAF.

Also of note, there is no performance change whatsoever. I have a 30-40 min freeway drive to/from work each way, and generally am in the 65 - 75 mph range. No issues. I haven't noticed any drastic change in gas mileage, tho haven't calculated.

Do I just wait for these to go off eventually?
In spite of my filter change, might this be just also coincidentally a P0101 problem?
Should I just do the jumper pin method to get the lights off?

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
AZ must be just be trying to sell something you probably don't need. Usually they'll clear the code and you have no worries unless it comes back.

The jumper method is not for CEL (OBDII) codes. Disconnecting the battery clears them. I think there's a fuse you can pull to do it too. I just use my inexpensive OBDII reader. Or go to another AP store & ask them to clear the code.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hi all - can't say I have read thru all 29 pages on this topic to see if my situation is in here, but I did read the first several really informative posts. Speaking at least for myself, I really appreciate those active members that take the time to help those like me with aggravating, and typically pretty simple questions. It is a great help.

My situation isn't all that unusual from others in this thread:
2010, 4 cyl, about 104,500 miles.

About a week ago, I changed the air filter. In that process, i bumped loose about a 1" or so diameter hose just off the upper left of the air filter housing. I slid the hose back in. When I started up the RAV, I noticed the notorious warning light trio was on - the CEL, 4WD, and VSC. I have had this occur before, but sometime back and I forgot how I handled it. May have then also had to do with changing the air filter. In any case, thru some research, I foound that changing the filter and bumping loose that hose will cause those 3 lights to come on. But supposedly they go off after a few days. Mine have remained on for about 5 or 6 days now however. For grins, I ran by AutoZone for them to do a reading, and it showed P0101 replace MAF sensor. I suspect it is just because of the filter change and hose coming loose. And AZ quoted me about $108 for a MAF.

Also of note, there is no performance change whatsoever. I have a 30-40 min freeway drive to/from work each way, and generally am in the 65 - 75 mph range. No issues. I haven't noticed any drastic change in gas mileage, tho haven't calculated.

Do I just wait for these to go off eventually?
In spite of my filter change, might this be just also coincidentally a P0101 problem?
Should I just do the jumper pin method to get the lights off?

thanks.
It's always good to have a code reader

You can read a Good post on obd2 readers here by JUNBUG

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/105-rav4-news-reviews-videos/274065-code-reader-shootout-three-obdii-readers-under-40-how-do-they-compare.html

you can find his top rated one here for 25.99. (You could always make a lower offer)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topdon-AL201-OBD2-Diagnostic-Tool-Car-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-As-Autel-AL319/263403381322?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=44039&meid=68c9d097e56a4df791e778df9f73d758&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=222676786382&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This thread was very helpful. I got that message and was freaked when my first search indicated the ECM was at fault - then I read JuneBug's excellent advice. I tightened the loose gas cap, disconnected the battery to clear the codes, and all is well!
I bought this: AQV OBD2 Reader OM123; it's cheap, and received good reviews.
But I wonder... does this mean I have a faulty gas cap?
Eric.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the CEL + VSC + 4WD warning lights come up on my 2011 V6 Rav4 today.

So I take it the 4WD, traction control and VSC are currently non-functional?

I'd like to get those functions back ASAP since it's snowing a lot where I am right now with more snow in the forecast. The dealership is closed being a Sunday.

If I get an OBD reader and clear the codes, and assuming the warning lights don't come back, will the 4WD etc come back right away?

·
Registered
65 Posts
No expert here, but it won't do any harm to crank the gas cap tight, then clear the codes by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a couple of minutes and reconnect it and see what you have.
Eric

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
I had the CEL + VSC + 4WD warning lights come up on my 2011 V6 Rav4 today.

So I take it the 4WD, traction control and VSC are currently non-functional?

I'd like to get those functions back ASAP since it's snowing a lot where I am right now with more snow in the forecast. The dealership is closed being a Sunday.

If I get an OBD reader and clear the codes, and assuming the warning lights don't come back, will the 4WD etc come back right away?
Yes, all those functions will come back and if the lights come back on you can clear the codes again but you'll also be able to read the code that caused the lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just an update:

I went to Canadian Tire and bought an OBD2 reader. I gave me 2 codes: "P0607 Stored" and "P0607 Permanent"-- control module performance.

I tried to erase the codes and it erased the stored code but not the permanent one.

In any case, the warning lights were gone when I started the engine. I drove around for 15 minutes and everything seemed to be back to normal including engaging the 4WD lock.

I'll see what happens in the next couple days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its probably unrelated, but I replaced the battery on our 2010 Rav4 3.5L 2wd about a month ago. My wife tells me that after she took the Toyota for an oil change a week later, the check engine & slip indicator light came on. The tech's I guess cleared the codes but they have returned. After my visit at Autozone, I pulled a bunch of codes...

C1201/51 Engine Control System Malfunction - Engine control system BC-85

C1241/41 Low Battery Positive Voltage - Battery - Charging system - Power source circuit - Internal power supply circuit of skid control ECU BC-99

P0137 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2) 1. Open in HO2 sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) circuit 2. HO2 sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) 3. HO2 sensor heater (bank 1 sensor 2) 4. Integration relay (EFI MAIN relay) 5. Gas leakage from exhaust system Comes on DTC stored ES-158

B1650 looks to be an airbag issue

C1826 - passenger seat side short

Would appreciate some ideas on where to start on this one

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Sounds like something is dragging down the voltage. Have you had the alternator checked out? FYI--those BC-85 and ES-158 designations are simply telling you which chapter in the service manual those systems can be found. To clear those C codes, you will need to use the jumper and brake pedal method described earlier in this thread. Regular OBDII readers can only clear the P codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ABS, VSC and brake

Hello, I am newbie here , and I find this forum interesting because I do have the same problem with warning lights on the dashboard.

the ABS, VSC and brake light use to appear on the small panel of fuel information, just after the first break. To say that if I don't break I will not have the warnings.

I have search a bit here , and looks like my problem is slight difference than the rest.

I own a 2006 rav4 , manual with 130.000 km

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hello, I am newbie here , and I find this forum interesting because I do have the same problem with warning lights on the dashboard.

the ABS, VSC and brake light use to appear on the small panel of fuel information, just after the first break. To say that if I don't break I will not have the warnings.

I have search a bit here , and looks like my problem is slight difference than the rest.

I own a 2006 rav4 , manual with 130.000 km
Do you have any codes?

281 - 300 of 363 Posts