Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2007 Rav4 4wd base edition.

The Check Engine Light/VSC & 4WD lights are lit, and I had them checked at AutoZone, and got P0138 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2).
This same sensor was replaced in June 2014. Do they often go that quickly? My brother is willing to replace the sensor, way cheaper than the repair place, but if it doesn't really need to be, that would be wonderful.

One Rav4 owner told me that sometimes if you clear the lights and run it a few days, if it was a temporary glitch, like a dirty sensor, the lights won't come back on and all is ok. Is that correct? I asked someone else and they said no. Have gotten conflicting info, so figured I'd ask here.

Also, from other threads it looks like disconnecting the battery or pulling the correct fuses will not clear all 3 lights. Something was said about using a jumper, but is there a thread that shows how to do that? I was told that even after the sensor is replaced, the codes will need to be reset, that they do not go out automatically. Is that correct? Is it worth buying a reader that can reset the codes? I do hope to have this car a long time.

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
I definitely agree with resetting the code and seeing if it comes back. And rather than messing (guessing) with disconnecting the battery or pulling fuses just buy a $30 code reader to do it. Especially if you're keeping the car it'll pay off. The jumper method is for error light combos where the CE light ISN'T on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
code reader recommendation?

Thanks for your reply. Do you have a recommendation for a reasonable code reader? Is online the best way to go?

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts